Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

read octavia butler's "kindred" about a black woman who keeps getting pulled back in time to the plantation her great-great-grandfather owned. quick read but really well done, need to check out more of her work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

read octavia butler's "kindred" about a black woman who keeps getting pulled back in time to the plantation her great-great-grandfather owned. quick read but really well done, need to check out more of her work

Parable of the Sower is extremely relevant relevant to the present. It was relevant to the 90s too, but in a more allegorical or metaphorical way. Now it’s literally what’s happening to the US.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i listened to three body problem yesterday and just finished it today and it was pretty sick. gonna start dark forest

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished reading Richard Nixon's Six Crises.

From what I've read about the book in parallel, it was written in 1961, after Nixon had lost his first presidential race to JFK, but before he ran for (and lost) Governor of California and before his later electoral success. Supposedly it was something like his own version of JFK's Profiles in Courage, as in a way to keep him in the public eye and raise his national profile.

As a book, it's pulling in a couple of different directions at the same time - not only is it trying to convey a historical narrative from Nixon's perspective, but it has a "self-help" like aspect to it where he's giving some vague words of advice to people on how to handle crises and how to behave during crises.

The issue is that the latter just makes him sound really neurotic, like he's overthinking things all the time.

There's also some stories that really stretch the definition of what could be called a crisis, like how he reacted as VP when Eisenhower had heart troubles - turns out you do most of nothing, and the problem resolves itself, because he didn't die or become incapacitated, so there's no crisis.

Finally, Nixon's contempt for the media and the press really comes through in the book, where even as he's writing as calmly and charitably as possible because this was a book meant for public consumption and for his own self-aggrandizement, he still accuses them of being biased bastards at every turn.

It was an entertaining read, to be sure, but I can't imagine that Nixon came off as looking better in the process.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Currently working my way through Thomas Franks' Listen, Liberal. Just finished chapter four, which covers all the ways that Clinton's neoliberal policies had devastating effects in the medium term (e.g: deregulating derivatives and telecoms, repeal of Glass-Steagall). I was an elementary schooler when Clinton was elected the first time, so I wasn't aware of a lot of the details.

Reading the book just makes me despise the Clinton/Obama/Biden types even more than I already did. I have Franks' What's The Matter With Kansas? book, but are there any others by Franks or others that are in this vein?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Currently working my way through Thomas Franks' Listen, Liberal. Just finished chapter four, which covers all the ways that Clinton's neoliberal policies had devastating effects in the medium term (e.g: deregulating derivatives and telecoms, repeal of Glass-Steagall). I was an elementary schooler when Clinton was elected the first time, so I wasn't aware of a lot of the details.

Reading the book just makes me despise the Clinton/Obama/Biden types even more than I already did. I have Franks' What's The Matter With Kansas? book, but are there any others by Franks or others that are in this vein?

if you want a more academic work that's on the same subject--the democratic party's shift towards neoliberalism--check out Right Turn by Ferguson and Rogers. it's insanely detailed, but worth reading

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"Death of the Liberal Class" by Chris Hedges also tackles this issue. I haven't read it myself, but it is on my list having come well-recommended.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm finally reading The Black Jacobins which I kept putting off. I find that a lot of books written recently about the Haitian Revolution are incredibly dry but Black Jacobins which is so often cited is incredibly well written. Glad this thread is still active. I usually just lurk on a bunch of other CSPAM threads to find recommendations.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Idia posted:

I'm finally reading The Black Jacobins which I kept putting off. I find that a lot of books written recently about the Haitian Revolution are incredibly dry but Black Jacobins which is so often cited is incredibly well written. Glad this thread is still active. I usually just lurk on a bunch of other CSPAM threads to find recommendations.

CLR James is a magnificent writer. Hes got a page on the Marxist Internet Archive. Highly recommended

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Death of the Liberal Class" by Chris Hedges also tackles this issue. I haven't read it myself, but it is on my list having come well-recommended.

Franks mentions that book in passing once or twice. It's definitely one of the next on my list.

Finicums Wake posted:

if you want a more academic work that's on the same subject--the democratic party's shift towards neoliberalism--check out Right Turn by Ferguson and Rogers. it's insanely detailed, but worth reading

Thanks! Added to the list. One of the positive effects of the last four years is intensifying my interest in political history. Can't fight the fascism of today if you don't understand how fascism of the past developed.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Im looking to learn more about the modern middle east.
Anyone know a good book on the rise and fall of pan-Arabism?
Or should I go with regional histories? In that case, I'm interested in the Levant. Any good books on Syria, Lebanon, and/or Palestine?

Doesnt have to be books, either. Podcasts, videos, whatever it is. I just want to learn.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

One Market Under God is his best work, and is almost certainly the best book out there on how neoliberalism understands itself, the basic logic of much of US politics up to 2016 (if not still), and a great way to understand what liberals think they're doing.

The Conquest of Cool is also very good, albeit much more academicky since it's his first book and adapted from his PhD dissertation. Like OMUG, it's a great look at what the advertising industry understands itself to be doing as a culture industry, and how this this into broader commitments to capitalism.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

star eater posted:

i listened to three body problem yesterday and just finished it today and it was pretty sick. gonna start dark forest

Dark Forest is my favorite out of the three.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
are the dune sequels as good as the original?

edit: this is a cool article about the stuff herbert drew on for dune:
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-secret-history-of-dune/

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Sep 3, 2020

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finicums Wake posted:

are the dune sequels as good as the original?

edit: this is a cool article about the stuff herbert drew on for dune:
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-secret-history-of-dune/

all are good except the last two which are bad, God Emperor was my favorite but it really hinges on what your tolerance levels are for a giant worm tyrant god expounding on philosophy of power as it relates to bending historical materialism to your will

also, it goes without saying that considerable time is dedicated to designing a girlfriend for the protagonist

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

cspam, what’s a good fairly-comprehensive but not too long book on the cuban rev and its aftermath, including details on whatever atrocities people say castro oversaw?

just watched soderbergh’s che pts 1&2 and want to learn more than the wiki page

thanks and godspeed

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

cspam, what’s a good fairly-comprehensive but not too long book on the cuban rev and its aftermath, including details on whatever atrocities people say castro oversaw?

just watched soderbergh’s che pts 1&2 and want to learn more than the wiki page

thanks and godspeed

Seconding this question!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Any recommendations on books about French Revolution?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Haymarket is having a 90% sale on ebooks

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

you love to see it

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1333442625232379905?s=21

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

anyone got a good rec on a mao bio or history of the chinese rev? looking to read up on that after i finish fidel’s autobio and deutscher’s trotsky vol 1 (maybe i should finish the rest of trot though, great summation of the man and the era/history so far)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

if anyone is interested in the political equivalent of a beach read, i enjoyed "a libertarian walks into a bear" which chronicals a town very near where my wife grew up that was taken over by libertarians of the "free town project."

it is an interesting look at what happens when a bunch of cranks decide paying for stuff like roads and fire protection is for suckers

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Remake the CSPAM monthly book club please

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just finished Jurassic Park re-read, an excellent example of something which had both a great book and great movie, both of which were wildly different

err posted:

Remake the CSPAM monthly book club please

Many have tried, many have failed. Goons simply do not show. Try yourself if you would like, I will attend because I adore reading groups

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the cold war culture wars c. 1950-1975? I'm specifically thinking about the CIA/State Dept. co-opting of modern jazz/postmodern art and the Khrushchev Thaw, Neruda, Cuba, the Chilean political music scene etc.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

cool dance moves posted:

CLR James is a magnificent writer. Hes got a page on the Marxist Internet Archive. Highly recommended
read Beyond a Boundary, especially if you are a sports are for idiot jocks type of goon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

anyone got a good rec on a mao bio or history of the chinese rev? looking to read up on that after i finish fidel’s autobio and deutscher’s trotsky vol 1 (maybe i should finish the rest of trot though, great summation of the man and the era/history so far)

I'd recommend Elliott Liu's "Maoism and the Chinese Revolution: A Critical Introduction"

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
It's out there and not nonfiction (I'm not entirely sure it qualifies as fiction either...) but Cyclonopedia is pretty cspam and lies somewhere between anti-War on Terror treatise and petromancy grimoire

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I can recommend that you absolutely shouldn't read Mao: The Unknown Story by Jung Chang, a book so historically iffy that there was almost a cottage industry of articles challenging it. If for some reason you do read it, and honestly it's not even worth stealing, Was Mao Really a Monster: The Academic Response to Chang and Halliday's "Mao: The Unknown Story" is an essential follow up, a collection of 14 scholarly articles, IIRC 12 of them are calling the book garbage.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Reading Blackshirts and Reds and the bit about the exaltation of motherhood and household patriarchy under fascism made me curious about WTF happened in Romania. I got the mainstream media version ages ago, but I want to read a leftist history of the events leading to the feel good video of 1990. Anyone know anything good?

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

meisner's "mao's china" is essential imo. i think there's a revision that adds "and after" and expands on it, also

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Reading Secret Affairs: Britain's Collision with Radical Islam. Gives a short history in the introduction of where Britain starts to back Islamists early on when most of South Asia and the Middle East were colonies. I'm liking it so far, a lot of it is eye opening quotes from British colonists/those high up the military ladder.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

It's out there and not nonfiction (I'm not entirely sure it qualifies as fiction either...) but Cyclonopedia is pretty cspam and lies somewhere between anti-War on Terror treatise and petromancy grimoire

cyclonopedia loving owns

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I'm looking for a book on Chinese civics. Basically an outline of the different structures that make up the government. For example: The Chinese constitution, The Communist Party, the NPC, the Politburo, the United Front and it's parties, the court system, etc

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Chomskyan posted:

I'm looking for a book on Chinese civics. Basically an outline of the different structures that make up the government. For example: The Chinese constitution, The Communist Party, the NPC, the Politburo, the United Front and it's parties, the court system, etc

I'm waiting on a short primer called Understanding Chinese Politics: An Introduction to Government in the People’s Republic of China by Neil Collins and Andrew Cottey to arrive by mail. It was published right before Xi took over. I'll follow up here once I get into it

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
uhhh what in the gently caress

Lin Qi, Yoozoo CEO and Producer on Netflix's 'Three-Body Problem,' Dies at 39

quote:

Lin Qi, the chairman and CEO of Yoozoo Group who was hospitalized after having been poisoned on Dec. 16, has died. The Chinese company confirmed that Lin died on Christmas Day. He was 39.

On Wednesday evening in China, the Shanghai Public Security Bureau had announced that Lin was receiving treatment after being poisoned and that a Yoozoo coworker of Lin's, surnamed Xu, had been apprehended amid an investigation.

The statement read: "At 5 p.m. on Dec. 17, 2020, the police received a call from a hospital regarding a patient surnamed Lin. During the patient's treatment, the hospital said it had determined that the patient had been poisoned. Following the call, the police began an investigation. According to investigations on site and further interviews, the police found that a suspect surnamed Xu, who is a coworker of the victim Lin, was the most likely the perpetrator. The suspect Xu has been arrested and investigations continue."

The Hollywood Reporter reported that local media have said a dispute among the Chinese entertainment company's executive ranks preceded the assault on Lin, which was allegedly carried out via a cup of poisoned pu-erh tea.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
dang puer tea is so nasty you could hide anything in it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

crossposting from periodicals thread

StashAugustine posted:

I got Adam Tooze's Crashed for Christmas; does anyone have comments on it or good reviews about it?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Cédric Durand "In the Crisis Cockpit" and Perry Anderson's "Situationism à l'Envers" in the NLR, and Tooze's abortive responses on his blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Whoever mentioned a book club, I would be interested in that. Maybe it will fare better this time, some people finding themselves with an unexpected surplus of reading time :shrug:

Currently reading: The Consuming Fire (The Interdependancy #2) by John Scalzi

Recent cspam worthy reads which I would recommend:

The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth's Past #2) by Liu Cixin - y'all know what it is

The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependancy #1) by John Scalzi - another good Scalzi sci fi romp

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison - fiery first person, written in the 1950s, a story of a black man growing up in America in an era of segregation

quote:

I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids—and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me. Like the bodiless heads you see sometimes in a circus sideshow, it is as though I have been surrounded by mirrors of hard, distorting glass. When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves, or figments of their imagination—indeed, everything and anything except me.

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - a window into life in tyool 1348, during a terrible plague

The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism by Edward E. Baptist - great book, very well written but extremely painful to read if you have even a trace of empathy left in your scabby heart