Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Just recently finished Blindsight.

Highly recommend if you want to read a good scifi book about a DeusEx/Bladerunner sorta future where humanity makes first-contact with some weird rear end aliens.

quote:

In the year 2082, thousands of large, coordinated objects of an unknown origin, dubbed "Fireflies", burn up in the Earth's atmosphere in a precise grid, while momentarily broadcasting across an immense portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, catching humanity off guard and alerting it to an undeniable extraterrestrial presence. It is suspected that the entire planet has been surveyed in one effective sweep. Despite the magnitude of this 'Firefall', human politics soon return to normal.

Also vampires, and they're integrated fairly well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

sat on my keys! posted:

On the strength of the excerpts posted I bumped it up in my to-read queue and I gotta say it's a good thing this is a drinking holiday

Yeah, those clips just got this just got bumped to the top of my booklist too.

Jesus christ.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

makes me feel really loving uncomfortable

The book is a litmus test, you passed.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Just started reading Lucifers Hammer. No real reason other than I like Sci-fi, seen it on a bunch of lists and it was super cheap at the bookstore.

Any of you guys read it? Yea? Nay?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Helsing posted:

Haven't read it but the authors are notorious right-wing cranks and based on second hand summaries the plot is all about how sensible and patriotic white guys from suburban California have to band together in the apocalypse to preserve a rational society. That means organizing to violently resist the (literally cannibalistic) black looters streaming out of the nearby inner cities. Along the way we get plenty of helpful lessons on the evils of feminism, environmentalism and welfare.

God dammit I was afraid of this.

The first chapter was basicly a bunch of hollywood billionaires at some rich guy party and one of em is bragging he discovered a comet. I was hoping he'd turn out to be the badguy since his name was Hamner or something

Good thing it was only like $1

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I put down Lucifers Hammer for now because I found a copy of The Forever War by Haldeman.

Im about 2/3 the way through it now but it is so good. Space weed, bunkin battle buddies and (future) earth sucks.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Forever War loving rules, especially the fully automated gay luxury communism bit

never read Lucifer's Hammer but it sounds pretty bad, you made a good call in switching up

If you like Forever War check out Return from the Stars next, it also deals with culture shock from time dilation but it's all post-war, and also Stanislaw Lem is a gem of a writer who doesn't get enough love

The only Lem I've read was Solaris. It was good, but slow and not an action packed book at all. Does he have any other notable scifi books?

I also picked up Echopraxia and have The Divide on order from the local bookstore. Ill be reading one of those two next. Depends on how quick it arrives.

TheDon01 has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Jan 8, 2018

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Well finished Forever War. Fantastic, probably one of the best scifi books ive ever read.

Anyone read the sequels/side books?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I haven't, but I've heard they're good reads and passable but it's important to go into them realizing that they aren't going to be as incredible as the first because so much of the philosophical ground is already covered

I know they aren't reviewed very highly

mormonpartyboat posted:

forever peace is v good

not as good as forever war but not much is

Right on, ill go find a copy. The philisophical stuff was great but i just got a hunger for more shooty spacemen, weird aliens and relativity fuckery. Hell right now Id sit down and read just a timeline of what all happened on earth in those thousandish years.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

forever peace has no aliens and very little sci fi fuckery and isnt set in the same world

its a more grounded story about attaining partial post-scarcity and living within the violence of people leveraging that over others and pacifism

the only real connection is the author and the general theme of "war bad"

That sounds good too!

Edit: bookstore just called, my copy of The Divide just arrived. So I guess I got all weekend to be angry as hell.

TheDon01 has issued a correction as of 09:01 on Jan 13, 2018

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

im on the net me boys posted:

I finished reading Bad Blood which is about the whole Thoranos thing and honestly it's the CSPAMmiest book I've read this year

Ive been wanting to read this but my library doesnt have a copy and even the used copies are still like 17$

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

im on the net me boys posted:

Does your library not have it on Overdrive either? Mine did.

Is that some sort of e-reader thing? I cant read anything longer than a twitter post on a screen.

Ill pour over hundreds of pages of dead tree books tho

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

The 2nd and 3rd forever war books I thought were pretty good and worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Two excerpts from the first half of World Made by Hand that I liked:

I don't know how many people in America are truly prepared for a globalism collapse, in the slim chance that it does happen. I know I'm not. It's hard to really envision how thoroughly it'll change everyday life.

Picked this book up after reading these excerpts. Stoked to dig into this book