Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

sapphomoric posted:

I’m trying to have some sort of control over buying Verso books this month (they’re all half off)—any must-reads from there I should definitely take advantage of?

I have absolutely no control and brought several books already. Just buy books on topics you're interested in I guess. I just finished Extreme Cities and it's left me hopeless about what's being done about climate change in major cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

finished man in the high castle. pretty good, too bad dick never wrote a sequel. is the tv show worth checking out?

Just the first 2 seasons, but it veers into a different direction than from the story.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
If anyone has read Radical Technologies and enjoyed it New Dark Age: Technology and the End of the Future is right up your alley. Radical Technologies went more in depth about tech than New Dark Age, but I did like emphasis on the vast data accumulation with the latter. I'm open to any suggestions on similar topics like these two books have covered.

I'll probably get one more book from Verso, Liberalism: A Counter-History. I think I have enough books for the rest of the year to get through.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

One thing that stands out to me nowadays that didn't back then is how thoroughly white the cast is. It's set somewhere rural in the Northeast coast only a few years after the collapse but there's not a single person with a dark skin shade to be seen.

I would just stick with Octavia E. Butler for that type of genre.

Verso is having a sale on their anti-fash books.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Parable series looks interesting; any other books of hers that you'd in particular recommend?

No, I haven't read anything beyond the Parable series. The first book was very memorable for me. I'll probably read some her stuff in the future but right now I'm just reading tons of non-fiction books.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Pluto Books is having a half off sale till tomorrow!
I got a few books but is there any recommendations you guys have for any of their books?

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

im on the net me boys posted:

Verso is having another one of their regular sales, this time 90% off ebooks. A pretty steep discount!

Thanks! I got a bunch even though I got so much to go through already.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

PM Press has some new releases at half off with the code JULY until the end of the month.

This isn't helping my addiction. Pluto press also has a sale on their ebooks ending today.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

that said, are there any good ones from Pluto I should be picking up

I got a People's History of the Portuguese Revolution, Red International and Black Carribean, The End of Jewish Modernity, and A Certain Amount of Madness: The Life, Politics and Legacies of Thomas Sankara. Maybe the Sankara one would be the best one since I haven't seen that many stuff written on him to begin with and he's beloved in CSPAM so why not. I just pick the others based on my own interest.

Today is the last day for the sale though.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

My new years resolution is to read Kapital, Wealth of Nations, and City of God; and holy poo poo that's a lot of pages

I managed to finish Kapital and David Harvey's guide before Christmas starting somewhere in mid October. You can make it!

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a good recommendation on Yugoslavia and the conflict in Kosovo like in the 90s? I know so little of that place and time period.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

cool dance moves posted:

I can! Lucky for you I bookmarked this page a long time ago and got too lazy to actually delete it
https://www.patreon.com/posts/ultimate-balkans-28148819

Thank you so much!

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I finished The Dangerous Class and Revolutionary Theory: Thoughts on the Making of the Lumpen/Proletariat. The book defines the class or non class that Marx kinda looked and shows the history of this fragmented class either siding with reactionaries or communists during historical upheavals.
I found it really insightful since it's a topic that I rarely found written or talked about amongst leftists.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm finally reading The Black Jacobins which I kept putting off. I find that a lot of books written recently about the Haitian Revolution are incredibly dry but Black Jacobins which is so often cited is incredibly well written. Glad this thread is still active. I usually just lurk on a bunch of other CSPAM threads to find recommendations.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Reading Secret Affairs: Britain's Collision with Radical Islam. Gives a short history in the introduction of where Britain starts to back Islamists early on when most of South Asia and the Middle East were colonies. I'm liking it so far, a lot of it is eye opening quotes from British colonists/those high up the military ladder.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

meefistopheles posted:

Just finished The Black Jacobins by CLR James. It was probably the best history book I've ever read. It's also the first explicitly Marxist history I've read, so that's probably why. A lot of effort goes in to highlighting class interest in the slave trade, but James also goes into some depth on the personal foibles and flaws of the key actors. The tone can be very conversational, but then when the text zooms out a little to look at the entire stage, James has really excellent rhetoric that reminds you of the brutality and bloodiness of the capitalist system, and the complete lack of empathy from Napoleon and the bourgeoisie in the face of their own interest.
If anybody's got any similar recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Yeah, I was amazed about how well written it was for a history text. I've read other books on Haitian revolution but they were a lot drier.
Trouillot's Haiti: State Against Nation goes over the Duvalier regime and Silencing the Past has like one chapter dedicated also to I guess class relation between the black creoles vs. recently arrived slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Nearing the end of Assata Shakur's autobiography which is a really great insight on how the criminal justice system works as well as her life growing up in NY and the South. She has critiques on the Black Panthers and white leftists which I can see as valid in current times.
Biggest thing to stand out was that one of her lawyers helping her case died at home and no one really knows the cause of death is really crack ping. The cops also took the legal papers and once they were given back a bunch of forensic stuff was gone.