Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

that’s a lot of posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

been meaning to read pynchon for a while and quarantine seems lie a good opportunity to do so...... what's the consensus best/people's fave? gravity's rainbow, yeah? thinking of starting there

any of his particularly resonant in or prescient of these times?

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 20:35 on May 3, 2020

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

thanks for the recs, gravity's rainbow ebook was only $2 so i went with that, prob won't start for a few weeks after i wrap up some time consuming projects. looking forward to it, haven't read fiction in a while

anyone read vineland? the 60s hippies --> 80s reaganites plot/synopsis sounds right up my alley

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

cspam, what’s a good fairly-comprehensive but not too long book on the cuban rev and its aftermath, including details on whatever atrocities people say castro oversaw?

just watched soderbergh’s che pts 1&2 and want to learn more than the wiki page

thanks and godspeed

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

you love to see it

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1333442625232379905?s=21

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

anyone got a good rec on a mao bio or history of the chinese rev? looking to read up on that after i finish fidel’s autobio and deutscher’s trotsky vol 1 (maybe i should finish the rest of trot though, great summation of the man and the era/history so far)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

maybe a tall order but is there a good (but not gargantuan) book that provides an overview of post ww2 to collapse USSR and details how their economy/central planning worked?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know of a single book that does all this, but what I've read that falls into this wheelhouse is:

"Planning in the Soviet Union", by Philippe J. Bernard - this was written in 1966, so it covers post-WW2 economics and central planning during the Stalinist era, followed by reforms under Khrushchev

"Gorbachev and After", by Stephen White - this was written in the early 90s, so it covers Gorbachev and his further attempts at reform. It's not exclusively focused on the economy like Bernard's work is, but there's a lot to pick up on

"Armageddon Averted", by Stephen Kotkin - this covers the events leading up to the actual collapse of the USSR and why it turned out the way it did

yeah the first one sounds most like what i'm looking for, thanks i'll start there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hmm yeah it looks like it, maybe i'll try the free trial on scribd