Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Debt was awesome at painstakingly showing how the language of debt and that of morality has been intertwined for centuries, leading to some weird contradictions about how we're brought up to think about debt. And it pretty well annihilates the barter stories you get in economics class.

Every year or two, I read I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone and No One Can Pay by John Lanchester and am going back through it now. It's a very detailed breakdown of the 2008 subprime mortgage crisis written very much for the layperson. It was written just a couple years after the crisis, and I don't know if Lanchester has written updated editions, but there's galling stuff in there as-is.

Lanchester just wrote a piece called Ten Years On or something which you can find in the latest issue of the LRB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm almost ready to swear that Player of Games is a song by The Alan Parsons Project…

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Just ordered some insanely good books from Verso. Among them New Dark Age, Capitalism in the Web of Life and Fossil Capital. Cheers for the heads up on the sale.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I've only read 40 or so pages of New Dark Age by James Bridle but it owns bones. Get it if you can.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Can't recommend Learning Processes with a Deadly Outcome by Alexander Kluge enough to this thread. It is nominally about the human exodus into space after nuclear apocalypse, but Kluge is endlessly discursive and also very funny. Here's a sampler:

There's also spacelaw, a space-Kronstadt (or perhaps space-Spithead/Nore), space-Marxism and geoengineering and more.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Cédric Durand "In the Crisis Cockpit" and Perry Anderson's "Situationism à l'Envers" in the NLR, and Tooze's abortive responses on his blog.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

dissing tarkovsky like this.. man

Maybe he's only seen the American version?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Both versions are bad

like I guess it's a great movie if you're a film nerd but if you're a normal person it's absolutely a movie that holds its audience in contempt and actively seeks to waste their time

lmao as compared to what? IMO it is far more humiliating to be treated like an infant by hollywood execs and directors.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Should I read Thomas Carlyle's history of the french revolution or is that a waste of time?

Would you read it to know Carlyle or do you want to know more about the revolution?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Mostly the latter. I'm a bit put off by Carlyle since he was an open advocate for slavery, but I've heard his history is good

I'd start with a modern primer (such as P. M. Jones') and work you way back to Carlyle and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Cynicism isn't postmodern, although I agree Kundera is cheap kitsch.