Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Reading American Gods atm and I keep forgetting what happened in the previous chapter

It gets boring midway through and the ending’s a letdown.

Show’s better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Finished Invisible Man

One of the greatest books I've ever read. The epilogue is a bit peculiar as it more or less coincides with the author's pivot from communism to overt anti-communism, but otherwise I enjoyed it all thoroughly
I remember reading it for university and while I forget a lot I remember it was simply electric among an otherwise drab syllabus. I was inculcated by a slew of modernist texts and thought good books had to be deliberately difficult and boring and it was such a breath of fresh air.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Could anyone recommend a book on attitudes towards homosexuality throughout history? I’m interested in why it was so vociferously condemned in the Bible and post-Rome, but would also like a look at cultural perspectives worldwide.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

im working through Corey Robin's The Reactionary Mind and it's pretty good so far.

he does an interesting job of kinda toeing th eline of what I guess what I would call a "fundamental" theory of conservatism with insisting that his perspective is flexible and supplemental rather than really seeking to be a bedrock set of principles.
I like his tear down of Ayn Rand as a psychopathic moron.

The biggest observation I drew from that book was about how reactionaries over time will adopt the language of the oppressed to make their position appear more palatable. I see it all the time now.

snoremac has issued a correction as of 06:46 on Mar 2, 2019