Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the divide seems really good and i should probably read it but i feel like I'd get dangerously mad and blow out my eardrums or something

i'm having this happen right now with How To Kill A City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Finicums Wake posted:

while i can't really think of another book of analytic philosophy i'd recommend this forum, this one might be worth checking out for anyone who feels/agrees with the c-spam forum's motto, ie 'nothing matters'. or, if you think that summary i copied + psasted is cool check it out because the book actually owns.

edit: i haven't seen the show, but supposedly true detective quoted heavily from this book

The New Yorker had a nice profile of Benatar and the book, if you want to know more.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Divide is one of the most infuriating books I've read in my life. I'm like 10% away from finishing it and I keep having to put it down because jesus loving christ

On the strength of the excerpts posted I bumped it up in my to-read queue and I gotta say it's a good thing this is a drinking holiday

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Helsing posted:

Every excerpt from The Divide that I'm seeing posted here seems really good and I'm tempted to buy the book. However, I'm not a huge fan of long-form journalism that leans too heavily on first person narration. In the past I've struggled to get into Taibbi's writing because so many of the sentences start with "I", "I went here, I saw this, I did that, I spoke to X, I spoke to Y" etc. Can anyone comment on how The Divide is written? If I opened a copy of the book and flipped to a random page how likely would it be that the first thing I'd read would be a paragraph started with "I"?

He does describe his impressions of visiting Rikers or sitting in a courtroom, but it's much less "I" focused than most of his articles, I'd say.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I'm reading this Ronald Suny book (Red Flag Unfurled) about the historiography of the revolution, it has a lot of information about events before and after but not so much about the time period October covers. I think they'd go well together. Suny spends lots of time dunking on Richard Pipes and discusses in depth what was new about social history and why it made people so drat mad. Fitzpatrick herself also has a book about the revolution that goes all the way through the NEP.