Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Reading American Gods atm and I keep forgetting what happened in the previous chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Over Easy posted:

1876 and Burr by the immaculate Gore Vidal (and from the excellent American Empire series) are CSPAMMY as all hell. The founding fathers are largely inept, the rich are venal perverts. The words are clever and history comes alive. Both feature stables of double entendre.

1876 really showcases how finance bought Washington DC, using that disputed election to show that America is built for rich bastards and the rest of us look like rubes for going along with this poo poo for so long.

I'd like to learn specifically about Burr if anyone has any recs. He seems like a real lol nothing matters kinda guy and I'd rather see a play about him than Hamilton

BURR

*bang*

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Dec 22, 2017

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I'm reading Lolita. idk if this was meant for a post-Weinstein world as it's basically the ramblings of a pathological self-justifying pedo and it makes me feel really loving uncomfortable

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

I finally finished The Divide

gently caress that book and gently caress this country. America is immoral

I'm going to read fiction for the next month or so. Starting with Steven Saylor's A Murder on the Appian Way, historical murder mystery about the death of Publius Clodius Pulcher, right during the Republic collapse

clodius was the most nitecrew roman

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Reading Invisible Man and it makes me feel p loving uncomfortable. Harrowing stuff

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

whomupclicklike posted:

I'm halfway through Fire and Fury now. It's certainly a fun read but I often find myself questioning whether something is accurate or not. It's more like enjoying a scathing piss take than reading a well-researched, reliable narrative.

you know a take is a piss take without the pisstape

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Invisible Man is just.... god drat. It's good. Like 69/10 good

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Finished Invisible Man

One of the greatest books I've ever read. The epilogue is a bit peculiar as it more or less coincides with the author's pivot from communism to overt anti-communism, but otherwise I enjoyed it all thoroughly

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

whomupclicklike posted:

Just grabbed this one

Is the ebook file, you know, good? I own a paperwhite and I've found that some of their ebooks suck ed balls vis-à-vis formatting and whatnot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i just finished reading the age of revolution/capital/empire trilogy by hobsbawm and i feel simultaneously all galaxybrained and exhausted on 19th century history now. it's amazingly comprehensive, and my only qualm with it was that it didn't contain nearly enough information about africa. the amount that he weaves in art movements, science, and classical music with political developments is kind of loving incredible