Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the divide seems really good and i should probably read it but i feel like I'd get dangerously mad and blow out my eardrums or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lately I've been reading this

which is fun for the author's 1950s soviet scifi vision of what far-future fully automated space communism would look like in practice. it's basically a more idealistic star trek and the main conflict of the book as far as I can tell from having read like a third of it is a brave space explorer crew gets stuck on a weird planet with creepy aliens that try to zap them

the author's description of the wild ride alternate-earth takes to get from the 1940s to Interstellar Communist Utopia is weird as hell but also kinda fun. writing is a bit awkward but probably indicative of the style. a lot of the science is fake so it's a pretty easy read

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

america is such a stupid loving country jesus christ

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

a book so good they're banning it from prisons

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/950338320193769472

nobody will care because prisoners don't have any civil rights lol

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I started reading le guin a few weeks ago and I'm halfway through the dispossessed which is an extremely good book about a moon anarchist who goes down planetside and calls everyone a propertarian. good as hell

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

it's an insanely good book and author

there's a bit where the main character goes to a high society party, gets shitfaced, astonishes the people with his doctrine, cums on a woman then throws up and passes out. it loving rules

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

get some PKD, I've heard good things about Ubik and Palmer Eldridge and will probably pick up one of those when i finish the book I'm on

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

how about man in the guy castle and it's just for guys

(idk all I've seen is part of the amazon series, the book is probably much better)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Le Guin is good as hell and I've been reading a bunch of her stuff recently, just finished Lathe of Heaven which was great and now I'm on something called The Word For World is Forest which is about a pacifist indigenous tribe starting a revolt against human colonists after they show up and start enslaving/destroying everything. Haven't read any of the earthsea books yet but probably will eventually

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

The Dispossessed is a good one for reading about a communist yelling at people

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is ancom erasure

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

I'm reading A Scanner Darkly right now and its real good

I just started this having never seen the movie and now I think I gotta see the movie

also what is the deal with PK Dick and the wiry brunette femme fatale character in all 3 of his books I've read so far, you'd think he has a type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

scanner darkly is pretty much pkd telling you exactly how much his brain is hosed up

yeah it owns