Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Currently working my way through Thomas Franks' Listen, Liberal. Just finished chapter four, which covers all the ways that Clinton's neoliberal policies had devastating effects in the medium term (e.g: deregulating derivatives and telecoms, repeal of Glass-Steagall). I was an elementary schooler when Clinton was elected the first time, so I wasn't aware of a lot of the details.

Reading the book just makes me despise the Clinton/Obama/Biden types even more than I already did. I have Franks' What's The Matter With Kansas? book, but are there any others by Franks or others that are in this vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Death of the Liberal Class" by Chris Hedges also tackles this issue. I haven't read it myself, but it is on my list having come well-recommended.

Franks mentions that book in passing once or twice. It's definitely one of the next on my list.

Finicums Wake posted:

if you want a more academic work that's on the same subject--the democratic party's shift towards neoliberalism--check out Right Turn by Ferguson and Rogers. it's insanely detailed, but worth reading

Thanks! Added to the list. One of the positive effects of the last four years is intensifying my interest in political history. Can't fight the fascism of today if you don't understand how fascism of the past developed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

With the news that Jimmy Carter might be on death's door, I restarted Rick Perlstein's Reaganland. I had previously gotten through a few chapters but was so disgusted by Reagan and his fundamentalist wackado supporters (e.g: Anita loving Bryant) that I couldn't bear to keep reading. I'm mostly reading for insights into Carter's presidency, but I think there's going to be a lot in there that could easily apply to the modern day given how much of a homophobic panic there was in the late '70s.

I have ABC of Anarchy but haven't ever read Conquest of Bread. I really need to find a copy of that; Kropotkin is one of the greats.