Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I preordered "Fire and Fury" by Michael Wolff because I'm unhealthily obsessed with this gently caress lagoon of a presidency. It's probably going to be a waste of $15 but I have poor impulse control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

GalacticAcid posted:

Read it.

Pivotal reading for exploring how diverse tactics intersect in the struggle for power & justice

I read a different book about this: This Nonviolent Stuff'll Get You Killed by Charles Cobb. More of an overview of the movement than just in one state, though. I'd recommend it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I'm halfway through Fire and Fury now. It's certainly a fun read but I often find myself questioning whether something is accurate or not. It's more like enjoying a scathing piss take than reading a well-researched, reliable narrative.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

So I finished Fire and Fury a while ago and I'm only now getting around to writing a post about it.

Bottom line, it's an interesting book. But I find myself wondering how much of it is true and how much of it isn't. And honestly, some of the things written seem somewhat suspect. He includes quotes from telephone calls that I wonder how he would have possibly gotten to hear both sides of. He's said he has tapes and all, but in the end I can't reliably trust anything in it, and that hampered my fun in reading it more than a little. I think it's still worth checking out at the very least. As someone who has very much enjoyed every slip-up and stupid mistake that's come out of this White House, this book really tickled the part of my brain that loves this stuff.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Mycroft Holmes posted:

if people believed david cameron hosed a dead pigs mouth without a shred of evidence they will believe this book

Can I like ironically believe something because that's how I approach the Cameron pig loving

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

is this real and if so, where (pickles needed)

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

The Lathe of Heaven, one of my absolute favorites by Ursula K Le Guin, is only $1 today on Amazon for the ebook: https://www.amazon.com/Lathe-Heaven-Ursula-K-Guin-ebook/dp/B00JTZ95I0

It owns and if any lurkers in this thread want to get in on why so many are in mourning over Le Guin's death, this is a good starting point that's also a quick and engaging read

Just grabbed this one

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Yossarian-22 posted:

Is the ebook file, you know, good? I own a paperwhite and I've found that some of their ebooks suck ed balls vis-à-vis formatting and whatnot

I haven't opened it yet but Amazon will let you refund an ebook if the formatting sucks

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Could anyone please recommend a book about the credit/financial system to me? I already read Creditocracy and I want more.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Badger of Basra posted:

I just finished Debtor Nation: The History of America in Red Ink by Louis Hyman. It's pretty good but also obviously a dissertation turned into a book (lots of typos, some arguments are difficult to follow). It also has some arguments that will make CSPAM regulars roll their eyes real hard (capitalism is not inherently bad but must be sufficiently regulated). However that argument mostly comes in the foreword and the epilogue, and the middle parts are interesting history about the growth of consumer credit in the US up to the 90s.

He also wrote Borrow: The American Way of Debt which from its description sounds like it's basically the same book. I imagine since it's an actual book and not his dissertation it might be better, but who knows.

Thank you comrade

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I always forget to reply to the thread when I'm done with something, but I read Anarcho-syndicalism: Theory and Practice by Rudolf Rucker recently. I agree with a lot of the points made in the book, but I can't help but wonder how one might address the needs of those who do not or cannot work, like the disabled and chronically ill. My main takeaway, however, is that unions are probably the best way of immediately changing the world for the better. I never really fancied myself an anarchist before, because I didn't figure anything could get done without organization under a party, but apparently anarchy doesn't mean a lack of organization!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

GalacticAcid posted:

Recently read [url=https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/red-globalization/DAE3ADBABBEF84748E9E14D4BE9C82A2]Red Globalization: The Political Economy of
Also just read The Leavers by Lisa Ko on a friend's recommendation. It's mediocre.

I also read this and I felt that it could have been better, but it was still alright for a debut novel.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Book club report: Everyone agrees that "Salt: A World History" by Mark Kurlansky loving blows

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Goon Danton posted:

So due to recent events, all my reading time is going to be replaced by house-renovating time for the next few months. Is there a good audiobook version of Capital, by any chance? Or other lefty audiobooks generally, I suppose.

Librevox seems to have volume one! https://librivox.org/capital-volume-1-by-karl-marx/

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I started reading The Ego and Its Own but I've not made much progress yet. I think I'm not in the mood for anything serious right now.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Any particular recommendations?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I'm thinking about buying a copy of The Autonomous City. Have any of you read it?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

The Omarosa book comes out in 4 days and I'm debating on whether to get it. It's probably going to be trash but this administration makes me crave drama.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Now that we have the "talking about the n word tape tape" that Omarosa gave CBS I might actually get the book and post the fun parts.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

So this Bob Woodward book... is it going to be worth buying? Also, bold to release it on 9/11, I think.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Goon Danton posted:

Generally with these kinds of books, all the good bits get leaked to twitter pretty quickly, and you get the added fun of spotting the obvious fakes to keep your skepticism glands working.

I still really enjoyed the Wolff one despite this, but I really don't want to spend >$30 USD on tell-alls this year

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

My library got several copies of Fear, so I placed a hold

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Posted this in the e-book thread as well, but PM Press is having a sale on ebooks for two bucks. A lot of the subjects they cover are going to be of interest to the readers of this thread. http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102455632475&ca=03d78f7e-30fb-47cd-8933-ac0c0851b4bb

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

So another PM Press post: they're doing a new subscription service where you get all their new books each month https://secure.pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

I finished three body problem, the writing and pacing were weird (Idk if its translation). Was gonna read the sequels on the plane for fall break but I forgot the second one lol. Did read seeing like a state which was prerty interesting

I thought about reading this one but I'll probably never get to it.
RN I'm reading the absolutely wild book that is LIVEBLOG by Megan Boyle. There isn't an ebook version even though it was literally a Tumblr blog she deleted a year after starting it

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Can anyone recommend a good book on the history of Liberia? I figured I'd ask here before digging on my own.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

all ebooks are 90% off at Haymarket this month!! Lots of good oneS!!!!!!

https://www.haymarketbooks.org/

Def scoping this out! If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

Things That Make White People Uncomfortable is good if you follow football at all, and also if you don't

I might, but I really, really dislike sports.
I got Shadow Government by Tom Engelhardt and Poor Workers' Unions by Vanessa Tait for now. There were some titles that I was interested in but there just aren't ebook versions. :shrug:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I finished reading Bad Blood which is about the whole Thoranos thing and honestly it's the CSPAMmiest book I've read this year

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

TheDon01 posted:

Ive been wanting to read this but my library doesnt have a copy and even the used copies are still like 17$

Does your library not have it on Overdrive either? Mine did.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

TheDon01 posted:

Is that some sort of e-reader thing? I cant read anything longer than a twitter post on a screen.

Ill pour over hundreds of pages of dead tree books tho

Yeah it's a service that libraries use for ebooks :(. See if your library does interlibrary loan!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I've finally started my promise to myself to alternate between books in English and Spanish and I'm having fun with some fiction from Spain right now. Can anyone recommend some interesting Spanish-language nonfiction? Preferably available as an ebook.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

Anyone read Neuromancer? Does it hold up?

I tried like a year or two ago to try it and I couldn't get into it despite being really into cyberpunk but a lot of people still swear by it so I say just give it a shot

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

We should really have a smiley that's like just post but it's just read

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Speaking of the Verso sale, I saw this book (https://www.versobooks.com/books/2435-the-autonomous-city) in an anarchist book store and really wanted to get it but didn't have much money at the time, and I was looking through the covers on the site just now and thought it had a kind of similar design. Lo and behold, the book!
E: After posting this saw Zizek and said "oh god they have Zizek" and my partner said "I thought you liked Zizek" and I said "No I like joking about Zizek"

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Verso for some reason can't verify my debit card so I guess I'm buying these books later. Oh well?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

PM Press has all ebooks half off with code GIFT until the end of the year

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

They've sweetened the half off deal on ebooks to 80% off, which made my $15 cart that I left only $6. Good things come to those who wait?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

im on the net me boys posted:

They've sweetened the half off deal on ebooks to 80% off, which made my $15 cart that I left only $6. Good things come to those who wait?

Oh, and pro tip for my fellow procrastinators out there: The Verso website rejects cards that expire this month! I had to activate my new card to get my order to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Here's my actually about what I'm reading update: I finished Little Fires Everywhere and it was an unexpectedly really good book. Now I'm reading one of my new Verso books, Fictitious Capital, and it's also a very pleasant book. I'm really putting those two required econ courses to work!