Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence by David Benatar posted:

Better Never to Have Been argues for a number of related, highly provocative, views: (1) Coming into existence is always a serious harm. (2) It is always wrong to have children. (3) It is wrong not to abort fetuses at the earlier stages of gestation. (4) It would be better if, as a result of there being no new people, humanity became extinct. These views may sound unbelievable--but anyone who reads Benatar will be obliged to take them seriously.

while i can't really think of another book of analytic philosophy i'd recommend this forum, this one might be worth checking out for anyone who feels/agrees with the c-spam forum's motto, ie 'nothing matters'. or, if you think that summary i copied + psasted is cool check it out because the book actually owns.

edit: i haven't seen the show, but supposedly true detective quoted heavily from this book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Epic High Five posted:

Just finished a re-read of Between the World and Me

Cannot recommend this book highly enough. A very quick read, and poignant throughout.

i listened to this one as an audiobook since tnc did the reading himself. it was real good, and ill probably actually read it sometime

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
only le guin I've read is left hand of darkness, but i liked it way more than most sci-fi(ish) stuff. what should I read next? I got a kindle recently, so if you wanna flood me with recs don't hold back!!

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

StashAugustine posted:

Anyone read Neuromancer? Does it hold up?

i reread it recently and liked it

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Epic High Five posted:

The Half Has Never Been Told....basically an actual primary source history of slavery as it relates to how it was the primary driver of both Capitalism and expansionism in the US

i've been meaning to read this, glad to hear that it's good. when it first came out it lead to an argument between the author and The Economist, which later lead to a very public spat between historians and economists more broadly over how to approach slavery, the history, etc. i didn't pay much attention to it at the time because i hadn't read the book yet, but since you have you might find it interesting.

here's a link to the article i bookmarked about it:

https://marcparry.org/2017/01/10/shackles-and-dollars-historians-and-economists-clash-over-slavery/

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

can anyone recommend some leftwing post-apocalypse stuff? tired of this rightwing crap.

moderan by david r bunch. it's leftwing as long as you realize it's satirizing what it depicts

article on it here: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/an-ode-to-new-metal-man-david-bunchs-moderan/

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

GalacticAcid posted:

Started Debt, the IMF, and the World Bank: Sixty Questions, Sixty Answers by Éric Toussaint and Damien Millet this morning. I'll update when I finish.

is this good?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

IDONTPOST posted:

there's a lot of novel recommends itt, does anyone have some cspam non fiction i got a buncha poo poo saved from the old lf book thread but i need more recommends

what kinds of topics are you interested in?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i'm gonna interpret "non-marxism" to mean, more broadly, books not about politcal-economy.

for criticisms of american foreign policy, william blum's killing hope is insanely good. rajiv chandrasekaran's book on iraq, imperial life in the emerald city, is worth checking out as well.

if you're interested in 20th century history, rick perlstein wrote a trilogy of books covering the conservative movement that's often reccomended on these forums. the first, before the storm, centers around the barry goldwater campaign.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

im on the net me boys posted:

Hey fair warning, Verso puts your email address and name at the end of each chapter of any ebooks that you buy from them so... Maybe don't

i think there's a way to launder the files with calibre. im no expert tho

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I can't recall the name of a book that I might be fever-dreaming about the origin of suburbs in the United States in the context of the automobile and the GI Bill... any ideas?

Or recommendations about the same subject?

crabgrass frontier

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
can anyone recommend me a book on the years of lead written in english?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Currently working my way through Thomas Franks' Listen, Liberal. Just finished chapter four, which covers all the ways that Clinton's neoliberal policies had devastating effects in the medium term (e.g: deregulating derivatives and telecoms, repeal of Glass-Steagall). I was an elementary schooler when Clinton was elected the first time, so I wasn't aware of a lot of the details.

Reading the book just makes me despise the Clinton/Obama/Biden types even more than I already did. I have Franks' What's The Matter With Kansas? book, but are there any others by Franks or others that are in this vein?

if you want a more academic work that's on the same subject--the democratic party's shift towards neoliberalism--check out Right Turn by Ferguson and Rogers. it's insanely detailed, but worth reading

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
are the dune sequels as good as the original?

edit: this is a cool article about the stuff herbert drew on for dune:
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-secret-history-of-dune/

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Sep 3, 2020

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

It's out there and not nonfiction (I'm not entirely sure it qualifies as fiction either...) but Cyclonopedia is pretty cspam and lies somewhere between anti-War on Terror treatise and petromancy grimoire

cyclonopedia loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

going full art cop on this because it is necessary

i loved the full post that i quoted. but, because i'm also a grouchy marxist interested in the arts, i want to challenge you: make a full marxist art cop post about a work of marxist art theory that you think gets it right. as an art school drop out, i want to read both that kind of post and the book it's about. if you do so, i will try and make an effortpost about cool marxist art theory as well, to return the favor