Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheDon01 posted:

The only Lem I've read was Solaris. It was good, but slow and not an action packed book at all. Does he have any other notable scifi books?

I also picked up Echopraxia and have The Divide on order from the local bookstore. Ill be reading one of those two next. Depends on how quick it arrives.

Lem is pretty awesome. I really like all of his "Tales of Pilot Pirx" (space opera, but very well done), and "The Futurolgical Congress" (amusing farce about mind control drugs).

Also, Philip K Dick thought that Lem wasn't a real person, and his works were actually written by a secret committee of communist writers to propagandize americans. He went so far as to share this with the FBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just picked up Year of Meteors, about the election of 1860 and the political crisis that led to the US civil war.

quote:

One furious Republican ... wondered how the Chicago Republican convention could have denied the selection to "the most experienced & most competent Statesman."

As 1860 dawned and the American political system began to unravel, even seasoned journalists realized that there was no way of knowing how the race would finish, or who among the forty-two candidates would be sworn in in 1861.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epic High Five posted:

what's the best biography of John Brown to read? I've got Midnight Rising but want my first to be entirely about the man because everything I've read about him is cool as hell, and I really want all the details of his meeting with Douglass

web du bois wrote a really good one a long time ago. he does a very good job of not only covering his entire life, but also placing his life in historical context. he has an extremely detailed section on that last meeting with douglass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brown_(biography)

links to the public domain online text at the bottom of the page (there is also a public domain audiobook).