Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Epic High Five posted:

I don't think he ever saw the military as an issue, like in Starship Troopers it's literally "oh and the military is the ultimate arbiter of who is a citizen and who isn't and thus wields ultimate power over all things, but they don't abuse that power and never will so it's not a problem. Moving along..."

I need to give Stranger in a Strange Land and Moon is a Harsh Mistress a read. I read Starship Troopers in high school and let's say the politics rubbed me the wrong way and I have gone further to left since then, but he does have his admires.

side_burned has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Epic High Five posted:

haven't read stranger but if you thought the politics parts of Starship Troopers were bad you'll loving hate MiaHM, it's very slightly more coherent but the oomph is taken out of every single critical event because of Orson Scott Card levels of Mary Sue reliance

If you want "what the gently caress WHO wrote this?" I also recommend Childhood's End

I guess it is better to say I am puzzled by Hieland's reputation. Everything I have read and heard about says reactionary dipshit but his work is fantastic if you ignore his politics and fondness for teenage girls and only read these books. That is to say he sounds like and awful writer and person but at the same time some many people will passionately defend the work.

Edit: I did a Google image search on Childhood's End :wtf:

side_burned has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Jul 22, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Epic High Five posted:

Ya should've told you not to do that lol but i forgot they are making it a show and didn't run with that being a spoiler

It's still a good book, kinda dated in some ways but very much not what you'd expect from Clarke

In all honesty that intrigued me enough to go check it out from the library.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

star eater posted:

i listened to three body problem yesterday and just finished it today and it was pretty sick. gonna start dark forest

Dark Forest is my favorite out of the three.