Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Does anybody know a good book on Christian Zionism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Truancy-Bot posted:

Anyone have any recs for books on the origins of American intelligence agencies? OSS kinda stuff? Feel like I heard a good rec on a podcast recently but can't remember.

Born Losers is actually a book that fits the bill, even if it's not about intelligence. The book is about how language developed from "failure" referring to something which happened to a business to being something that someone is. A lot of this history revolves around the development of the US' first credit rating agency, and the author argues that the way the agency operated made it (A) effectively an intelligence agency and (B) a model for future, more official intelligence agencies.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

cool dance moves posted:

For example, he treats nationalism as something that sprang out of the collapse of the feudal political order. Nothing wrong about that, that's a fairly standard interpretation of the French Revolution. But he treats the feudal hierarchy as something that existed only because people believed in God hard enough to slot themselves into these rigid social structures; rather than treating the feudal system as a social contract of sorts between sovereign and vassal, or lord and peasant. What's more, when he introduces the concept, he starts by mentioning that nationalism sprang from the decay of religious monarchy, and even mentions that there are certain dynamics at play in the collapse of that older system, but then hand waves it away saying it's not what's important at the moment.

Am I misreading the work, or is my man trying to explain the transition to modern nationalism while desperately trying to avoid talking about historical materialism?

Such that I remember the book, you're misreading the work. Basically what he's doing here is discussing the changes that had to happen for nations to become the dominant form of imagined communities. These changes are either preconditions for the nation (such as a change in conceiving of time), or clearing space through the collapse of the old imagined communities (local vernaculars replacing sacred latin as the administrative language). What's important here, and I think this is what you're missing, is that Anderson is pointedly not making a causal claim about these things driving the rise of national identities. A point he stresses repeatedly is that while languages are vehicles for common imaginings, they are pointedly not constitutive of national identities. Rather, what is constitutive of national identities is the content of the common imaginings.

So when he says that he's not concerned with the particular dynamics that led to the collapse of the religious feudal system, it is because it is the fact that the feudal system collapsed which is important (since this cleared space for national identities to replace religious ones as the dominant for of the imagined community) rather than any particular detail about how it collapsed.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

cool dance moves posted:

Oh, ok. Thank you for explaining! I suppose I just really wanted to interrogate casual claims so I conjured some up when Anderson wasn't trying to make them. In that case, I dont quite think Imagined Communities is quite my cup of tea. I think I'll move on to reading something else.

Yeah, Anderson is trying to talk about what nationalism is rather than where it came from. If you want to see someone take Anderson's theory of nationalism and actually defend some historical causal claims, check out Nations and Nationalism Since 1780 by Hobsbawm.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Does anyone know of a good history that either (a) puts Locke in the context of Enclosure or (b) writes about how Enclosure affected the character of English then British colonialism?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Origin of Capitalism by Ellen Meiksins Wood talks about both of these

Kick rear end, I'll check it out.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Does anyone know any good reads about the history or function of media pundits?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

For the Democratic Party and professionalism, written in 2016: Listen, Liberal by Thomas Frank

For the neoliberal triumphalism which culturally informed the Clinton years: One Market Under God by Thomas Frank

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Currently working my way through Thomas Franks' Listen, Liberal. Just finished chapter four, which covers all the ways that Clinton's neoliberal policies had devastating effects in the medium term (e.g: deregulating derivatives and telecoms, repeal of Glass-Steagall). I was an elementary schooler when Clinton was elected the first time, so I wasn't aware of a lot of the details.

Reading the book just makes me despise the Clinton/Obama/Biden types even more than I already did. I have Franks' What's The Matter With Kansas? book, but are there any others by Franks or others that are in this vein?

One Market Under God is his best work, and is almost certainly the best book out there on how neoliberalism understands itself, the basic logic of much of US politics up to 2016 (if not still), and a great way to understand what liberals think they're doing.

The Conquest of Cool is also very good, albeit much more academicky since it's his first book and adapted from his PhD dissertation. Like OMUG, it's a great look at what the advertising industry understands itself to be doing as a culture industry, and how this this into broader commitments to capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I forget if I've asked this before but:

I seem to remember that Howard Zinn wrote something about how the writing of the American first amendment reflects the fact that a bunch of the founding fathers were in the newspaper business. Is that a real memory? Did Zinn actually write something like that? Am I thinking of someone else?