Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Was so pleased by 001 transferring into his psychologist, the thought of a season 3 with Amanda Tapping playing the villain makes me very happy indeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I'd be surprised if she came back because I think 0001's story is done. He finally managed to escape from the Director and his son is able to have a normal childhood.

He won.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Kind of hoping Simon returns in season 3 occasionally, at least. If only for the artwork and what it shows us.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Episode 210 wraps up how Marcy ended up getting wrongly targeted by the Director -- as far as it was concerned, she was a trained CNA that vanished from the public record for a bit and then (according to her fake aspirational social media profile) shows back up as having changed careers to be a librarian. Makes sense that she'd be the medic since her host had a history of basic medical training.

I had to rewatch the end of 203 to understand the episodes at the tail end of the season -- the Travelers very clearly knew where 001 was in 203 and I wasn't clear how they lost him, but that episode ends with his son (presumably, based on 001's dialog) straying outside of the range of his time travel jammer which allowed the Director to use him as a messenger. He panics and they leave to parts unknown to the Director, accompanied by the jammer. And then in 212 001 (presumably) has to turn the jammer off in order to use 004's machine to steal Amanda Tapping's body, which is how the Director is able to grab his vacant host body the moment a record of its location is created.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Just popping in to say that I just binged Season One and what a fun show this is. Looking forward to starting S2 tomorrow!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

Episode 210 wraps up how Marcy ended up getting wrongly targeted by the Director -- as far as it was concerned, she was a trained CNA that vanished from the public record for a bit and then (according to her fake aspirational social media profile) shows back up as having changed careers to be a librarian. Makes sense that she'd be the medic since her host had a history of basic medical training.

I also like how that neatly explains why she had expertly sculpted eyebrows when she had trouble even feeding herself.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm almost done with Season one and this is uh, not good TV. Its about in line with the janky Vancouver Candida filler that SyFy usually shows. Who greenlighted this poo poo? Incredibly low budget and the characters are unmemorable. I'm going to recommend a pass on this one, doesn't make the cut.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 1, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Its fun and it made for good Christmas timewasting but it's not great.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is bland but the good type of bland. I recommend giving it some time.

And I liked the last episode of the season very much.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
If they can create a God-like AI in the future, why not just go to another planet or make earth not lovely with magical future tech? Seems like an awfully roundabout way to solve the problem.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

nickmeister posted:

If they can create a God-like AI in the future, why not just go to another planet or make earth not lovely with magical future tech? Seems like an awfully roundabout way to solve the problem.

Well we don't know much about the state of the world in the future but it sounds like the vast majority of the planet is completely uninhabitable. One particular kind of futuristic technology doesn't mean they have the resources for a colony space program or terraforming the earth to make it livable again.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

Well we don't know much about the state of the world in the future but it sounds like the vast majority of the planet is completely uninhabitable. One particular kind of futuristic technology doesn't mean they have the resources for a colony space program or terraforming the earth to make it livable again.

Yeah, they have yeast vats for sustenance and live under a mile of ice. While they might have nanites and other advanced tech it sounds like they're limited to only a few million people at most in some random valley in Canada, so resources are limited.

Power to run the base was enough of an issue that several Traveler teams are dedicated just to procuring nuclear fuel.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Honestly, inventing time travel is more plausible than humanity ever building a self-sustaining population off of Earth.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
They should create a matrix for themselves to live in. A few can maintain the system, everyone else can live in a digital utopia and use less resources as vegetables.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What if (bear with me) you just sent the people's minds off to live in a glorious past era of plenty and wonder and then those who stayed behind ate their empty husks.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

pseudorandom name posted:

What if (bear with me) you just sent the people's minds off to live in a glorious past era of plenty and wonder and then those who stayed behind ate their empty husks.

Maybe they will try to make every person on earth carry a GPS device connected to the Internet with them at all times.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

nickmeister posted:

I thought all that remains of humanity was just a single group living under the ice somewhere in Canada.

It seems like it's just a matter of time before the infrastructure fails and they all die out hence the crazy time travel plan to undo everything.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

I thought all that remains of humanity was just a single group living under the ice somewhere in Canada.

It seems like it's just a matter of time before the infrastructure fails and they all die out hence the crazy time travel plan to undo everything.

There's multiple separate domes. In season 1 Dome 41, home of the Faction, collapsed before it could form (or do anything, if it already had) but after managing to push aside the Helios asteroid Dome 41 survives and the Faction becomes a problem. That specific number is our only hint as to how many domes exist in total. At the very least the dome that houses the Director exists in that Canadian valley, but others might be spread out. They could have built a tunnel network between them or something, who knows. In season 2 Simon/004 is the closest we get to a real glimpse of what the domes, and the conditions within them, are like and that seemed accurate enough.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Zebulon posted:

There's multiple separate domes. In season 1 Dome 41, home of the Faction, collapsed before it could form (or do anything, if it already had) but after managing to push aside the Helios asteroid Dome 41 survives and the Faction becomes a problem. That specific number is our only hint as to how many domes exist in total. At the very least the dome that houses the Director exists in that Canadian valley, but others might be spread out. They could have built a tunnel network between them or something, who knows. In season 2 Simon/004 is the closest we get to a real glimpse of what the domes, and the conditions within them, are like and that seemed accurate enough.

I thought it was one connected super structure which is why they talk about the Faction capturing the reactor and stuff?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

I thought it was one connected super structure which is why they talk about the Faction capturing the reactor and stuff?

Could be. They mention the Director being online for just 3 seconds, which was enough time for it to, among other things, re-route control of the reactor for the Director and cut off the Faction's access access to KEEP itself online, I just interpreted that as them managing to gain network access to it given they'd managed to get in by way of one of the low level coders since if they had physical access it seems like it'd be a bit harder than that to deal with. I suppose Grace/0027 needing to basically hijack Marcy's TELL (IIRC it was that, anyways?) to upload some code to the Director and reset it from the past is the big reason I think so, but I suspect that it is another of those purposeful vagueries to the show and there's probably enough lines to suggest both interpretations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Here's another thing that makes no sense. What a Traveler number even is? It's not just the order they're sent in, because we're up to 4-5k, but people like Grace and Trevor are still coming in. They can't be sent "out of order", because of the way it works - no sending people farther back than the last Traveller sent. It seems to work kind of like rank, which is dumb, but also sorta kinda like it's in order?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

grate deceiver posted:

Here's another thing that makes no sense. What a Traveler number even is? It's not just the order they're sent in, because we're up to 4-5k, but people like Grace and Trevor are still coming in. They can't be sent "out of order", because of the way it works - no sending people farther back than the last Traveller sent. It seems to work kind of like rank, which is dumb, but also sorta kinda like it's in order?

Most likely it's the selection order for when they were induced into the traveler program (test candidates and engineers are lower in number seemingly). If I remember right the early astronaut program sort of worked the same way.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
00XX seems like programmers like 0027

01XX or 11XX seem like engineers or early experimenters like 0115

3XXX seem like the regular Travelers, the grunts.

001 seems like an anomaly as they were figuring the program out.

So it seems to be a rank as much as an order of selection. 3465 (Carly) and 3468 (Grant) signed up together and got similar numbers.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i love that this team has a reputation in the future (at least among people close to the director) of constantly going off-mission, ignoring warnings from Messengers, and still managing to achieve a satisfactory outcome in most cases (excluding season finale)

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Are we just not spoiler tagging poo poo now? Came into say thanks for the recommendation as i enjoyed season 1 and boom instant spoiler on the top of the page

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Forum rules, it might be new to netflix, but we been watching it for ages.

Saying that, bad luck with the spoiler my man.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Are we just not spoiler tagging poo poo now? Came into say thanks for the recommendation as i enjoyed season 1 and boom instant spoiler on the top of the page

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Warning: Spoilers after the OP. Most of page 1 and 2 have spoiler tags but the show has aired in Canada and is up on Netflix now. You've been warned.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I agree with those saying that this was kind of really bland, empty-calorie Canadian sci-fi. It's certainly not "Dark Matter" bad, but it doesn't even reach "Continuum" levels, much less some of the really good sci-fi coming out on Netflix or other channels or streaming services. It's a special agent action show with a couple of added flavor elements to make it seem like a sci-fi show, and obviously is stretching a thin budget as far as it can go.

I really hate Netflix's new binary rating system because this isn't worthy of a "thumbs down", but it doesn't deserve the same rating something like "Dark", "Black Mirror" or "Stranger Things" gets.

EDIT: I didn't mean to diss "Continuum" there, but it was a really good premise hampered by the limited budget and acting pool these Canadian sci-fi shows suffer from.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I agree with those saying that this was kind of really bland, empty-calorie Canadian sci-fi. It's certainly not "Dark Matter" bad, but it doesn't even reach "Continuum" levels, much less some of the really good sci-fi coming out on Netflix or other channels or streaming services. It's a special agent action show with a couple of added flavor elements to make it seem like a sci-fi show, and obviously is stretching a thin budget as far as it can go.

I really hate Netflix's new binary rating system because this isn't worthy of a "thumbs down", but it doesn't deserve the same rating something like "Dark", "Black Mirror" or "Stranger Things" gets.

EDIT: I didn't mean to diss "Continuum" there, but it was a really good premise hampered by the limited budget and acting pool these Canadian sci-fi shows suffer from.

Pretty much this, except I think it's exactly on Continuum level. Continuum wasn't very good either.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Continuum's lead was super hot though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Continuum's lead was super hot though

Garza wasn't the lead.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Garza wasn't the lead.

gently caress you say?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Garza does indeed own

One thing that bothered me about the 17 Minutes episode of Travelers is... why couldn't the travelers that jumped into the skydiving hosts have guided themselves (either in freefall or after the 'chute was deployed) a bit closer to where MacLaren's group was? I know gently caress all about the glide ratio of parachutes but it didn't seem like the lake was all that far, and even a couple of minutes would have made a difference. Surely the Director could have taken into account the prevailing winds, altitude, etc and tell one of the travelers exactly how and where to maneuver.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

TheDK posted:

gently caress you say?

A+ post right here

Just Chamber posted:

Sorry you got spoiled, kinda sucks but Netflix style releases just kinda go that way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good to see the Garza love. Not that Rachel Nichols isn't pretty. There's just something about Luvia Peterson that is incredible alluring.

Also worth saying that the entire cast of Continuum is pretty. Except Erik Knudsen at the time. He's such a goofy looking goon in season 1.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Just finished season 2 on netflix and I enjoyed it enough to binge through pretty hard. The woman who plays Marci is loving beautiful, I mean whoa.

Anyway, when does more come out?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AwkwardKnob posted:

Just finished season 2 on netflix and I enjoyed it enough to binge through pretty hard. The woman who plays Marci is loving beautiful, I mean whoa.

I was all in after i heard her sing.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BahN-VlgY8N/?taken-by=mackenziepmusic

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

AwkwardKnob posted:

I'm guessing 10 months, similar end of year release in Canada and a launch on netflix at the end of the year. I started watching S1 on new years eve (2016) with friends to kill some time and well all loved season 2, especially the intro.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gelf posted:

Was so pleased by 001 transferring into his psychologist, the thought of a season 3 with Amanda Tapping playing the villain makes me very happy indeed!

Not to mention the prospect of Enrico Collantoni as a good guy in season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
17 minutes was a good excuse for them to put a GoPro on some stunt guys to film some sick footage. You would think during Protocol Alpha, travelers would intentionally cause more deaths if they really needed some backup. What were the rules against taking over an original host before their death anyway? Pointing a GoPro at the asian bodyguard to take him over seemed like a better plan than any of the other poo poo going on. Since the next episode established that even an AI can temporarily take over human hosts why not take over the dog and beam a good boye into him instead.

Speaking of S02E08, strange they didn't start to show nose bleeding for the programmer since that was like the third consciousness at that point. Little nerding over but details count when you have a small budget!!

• Locked thread