Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Part of the naming convention we use for computers at work includes a 4 digit number sequence aaaaaand I've started giving them Traveler numbers.

Sucks for the people who get 5001 thru 5007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Part of the naming convention we use for computers at work includes a 4 digit number sequence aaaaaand I've started giving them Traveler numbers.

Sucks for the people who get 5001 thru 5007.

You're a good person.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

You're a good person.

:glomp:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

CeeJee posted:

If the Director can game the system then the team would be able too:

Grant: "We need The Director to take over Mr. McGuffin here to we can complete the mission"
Philip: "He does not die for another 12 years"
Carly: "Actually, he died 60 seconds from now" *pulls out cameraphone and gun*
McGuffin: "Aaaaa, my head !"
Team: "Welcome to the 21st"

Protocol sort of prevents this, but then Protocol probably makes an exception for it

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Given the whole failure state I kinda think there is only one Director in some weird superposition for all possible timelines.

There are 2 ways to imagine it, that I can see:
1) The Director is in a quantum state which suggests entanglement and all sorts of physics fuckery. Nothing is fixed but is ever changing, yet the director exists in all future timelines, or outside them, and can adapt as long as there is a historical record for it to read.
2) The Director is just a badass quantum computer with a singular mission and can always react for the best possible outcome regardless of how history changes.
Does time have a meaning for a quantum computer?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My understanding is that the director is able to perceive and react to changes in the timeline, because of quantum magic. It only exists in one future, but that doesn't mean it can't take steps to ensure its own existence.

I’m not sure I’d go so far as a suicide cult but they are fanatically devoted to an AI.

Trev went on a suicide mission, the senator agreed to be martyred, 7 skydivers happily got overwritten, and a bus full of pensioners got used as cannon fodder.

Agreed that Grace owns though. She must have been a blast to play. "Your motivation is, everyone but you is a loving moron"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My understanding is that the director is able to perceive and react to changes in the timeline, because of quantum magic. It only exists in one future, but that doesn't mean it can't take steps to ensure its own existence.

Trev went on a suicide mission, the senator agreed to be martyred, 7 skydivers happily got overwritten, and a bus full of pensioners got used as cannon fodder.

Agreed that Grace owns though. She must have been a blast to play. "Your motivation is, everyone but you is a loving moron"

They're willing to take on suicide missions, yes, but for the what they understand to be the greater good of humanity. They're not drinking the kool-aid to ascend to the spaceship. Trevor took the mission because he thought he was being directed to, even though that was the faction. The senator was dying anyway and was obviously not happy about it. The 7 skydivers weren't a suicide mission but they did know the odds of their deaths were pretty high. Now the pensioners, before the Travelers arrived were an actual suicide cult, but again they all agreed to take on a mission that they knew was a one way trip. At the end of the day they're not much different from any soldier sent into a battlefield, they know drat well they might die but it's part of the job.

I suppose I draw a line between soldiers willing to die for a good cause vs those killing themselves to find god or whatever.

Jennifer Spence, who place Grace/027 I think is a great actress. I've seen her in Stargate Universe, Continuum and now this. By far, I favor her as Grace because it's so much different than her SGU or Continuum characters. Louis Fierra who was also on Stargate Universe seems to be limited to the grizzly rear end in a top hat character. He was an rear end in a top hat on SGU, he's an rear end in a top hat on Travelers and just this week he showed up on Arrow, as an rear end in a top hat gangster. I like seeing him play an rear end in a top hat, he's good at it, but it's about all I've seen from him.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It seems the future is a literal hell and coming to the past is privilege. Many of the suicides are people on their deathbed.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

spaceships posted:

17 minutes made me depressed as hell. i was sitting there all "oh hey this carrie lady rules! can't wait for her to be a series regular! and then she's just loving left broken and battered in a field, discarded and a failure.

Same with Abby, when her suicide mission got called off it seemed we might get a chance at another interesting non-Traveler character but nope, dead and buried, with barely a second mention (just to say they had to get rid of her body - such a pain disposing of corpses, but they gave the impression that it's something they're very much used to doing).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I find it pretty amazing the loved ones fully believe their loved ones are time travelers with just a couple of videos.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jennifer Spence, who place Grace/027 I think is a great actress. I've seen her in Stargate Universe, Continuum and now this. By far, I favor her as Grace because it's so much different than her SGU or Continuum characters. Louis Fierra who was also on Stargate Universe seems to be limited to the grizzly rear end in a top hat character. He was an rear end in a top hat on SGU, he's an rear end in a top hat on Travelers and just this week he showed up on Arrow, as an rear end in a top hat gangster. I like seeing him play an rear end in a top hat, he's good at it, but it's about all I've seen from him.

Fierra's been typecast. I've seen him play other roles -- a frazzled end times prophet on Aftermath, and a repressed macho family man on Durham County -- but he's generally stuck in the roles that are offered him, i.e. military arseholes.

Agree about Spence though, she's great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jennifer Spence is a delight. Fierra is indeed typecast but he does a great job playing an rear end in a top hat so why change?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Fierra's been typecast. I've seen him play other roles -- a frazzled end times prophet on Aftermath, and a repressed macho family man on Durham County -- but he's generally stuck in the roles that are offered him, i.e. military arseholes.

Agree about Spence though, she's great.

I did not know this, thanks for the tip, I'll have to check those out. He did show up in a small role on Breaking Bad as an rear end in a top hat drug cartel guy, and I did watch the first 10 minutes of SWAT, but I didn't see enough of him to figure out what he would have been. That show was so bad I had The Director send me back in time and prevent SWAT from being produced.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Invalid Validation posted:

I find it pretty amazing the loved ones fully believe their loved ones are time travelers with just a couple of videos.

yeah it seems like the first thing you could say to your family is "An insane person kidnapped you and told me that he'd only let you go if I recorded a video saying I was a time traveling body snatcher following orders from a supercomputer - I was just telling him whatever he needed to hear. You don't actually believe any of that, right?"

One thing I am curious about is at what point during that final episode the psychiatrist was overwritten by Ingram. Clearly before the interview with Grace, but after the interview with Kat. Which makes sense based on the "the machine isn't ready" line, but for some reason i want to know exactly when it happened

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

He was one of the leads for four seasons of Motive as a good guy cop, and he's had plenty of other varied roles as well, it just seems people here have caught him in one particular type of role. His name is spelled Ferreira BTW.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They were also all put through hours of interrogation with questions like 'when did you notice the change in your loved one' which they all HAD noticed and never really got a satisfactory explanation for. Then they got stuffed back in a room to talk about it with all the other SO's and it'd be tough to poke too many holes in the various stories because they're, well, true.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I understand that, I do. But if someone tried really hard to tell you your spouse was about to die and a stranger took over their mind and now you’ve been banging a stranger? Would you really believe it? How much proof would you need?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I suppose I draw a line between soldiers willing to die for a good cause vs those killing themselves to find god or whatever.
Totally, but that line is gloriously thin at times.

quote:

Louis Fierra who was also on Stargate Universe seems to be limited to the grizzly rear end in a top hat character.

That's where he's from! Been driving me up the wall ever since his first episode.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Totally, but that line is gloriously thin at times.

That's where he's from! Been driving me up the wall ever since his first episode.

Brad Wright is the showrunner for Travelers and SGU. Just off the top of my head, Jennifer Spence, Louis Ferreira, and Patrick Gilmore were all SGU regulars.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 23, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Bring back Stargate

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Autism Sneaks posted:

Bring back Stargate

They are. It looks terrible.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

They are. It looks terrible.

What are you on about? The tales of a young Catherine Langford before the stargate ever worked sounds riveting

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

What are you on about? The tales of a young Catherine Langford before the stargate ever worked sounds riveting

I think I'd rather have rivets driven into my eyes

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

Bring back Stargate Wormhole X-Treme!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Wolpertinger posted:

Perhaps the Director is constantly sending backups to itself to some location in the past, which then it can then immediately access in the future - this would let him see all the changes in the timeline without too weird time shenanigans - any copies stored in the past are set in stone after a Traveler has been there, so he'd have access to all his previous copies.
I like this explanation, though I think it would be better if one of the first missions was to construct the Director in the past, so that it is completely immune from the possibility of not being created in the first place. Every time a traveler is sent, the history of the timeline of that traveler (which is now fixed and can't be altered) is given to the past-Director, who then has to wait for incoming data about changes to the timeline due to the new mission and then wait for the traveler program to be invented and the new Director to be constructed, and communicate with it about the state of which mission it's on and whether it was successful so that it can plan the next traveler mission. In the event that the timeline changes so that the new Director doesn't get constructed at all, the past-Director can communicate with itself and existing travelers in the past (but after the point of the last traveler) to try to restore the timeline so the Director does get built.

Past-director would also provide a vulnerable single point of failure that a bad guy could target.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brad Wright is the showrunner for Travelers and SGU. Just off the top of my head, Jennifer Spence, Louis Ferreira, and Patrick Gilmore were all SGU regulars.

Amanda Tapping...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Inferior Third Season posted:

I like this explanation, though I think it would be better if one of the first missions was to construct the Director in the past, so that it is completely immune from the possibility of not being created in the first place. Every time a traveler is sent, the history of the timeline of that traveler (which is now fixed and can't be altered) is given to the past-Director, who then has to wait for incoming data about changes to the timeline due to the new mission and then wait for the traveler program to be invented and the new Director to be constructed, and communicate with it about the state of which mission it's on and whether it was successful so that it can plan the next traveler mission. In the event that the timeline changes so that the new Director doesn't get constructed at all, the past-Director can communicate with itself and existing travelers in the past (but after the point of the last traveler) to try to restore the timeline so the Director does get built.

Past-director would also provide a vulnerable single point of failure that a bad guy could target.

I like this idea a lot, though it would be a paradox wouldn't it?

Rocksicles posted:

Amanda Tapping...

:cripes:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I just finished watching the two seasons, and while I enjoyed it, I am somewhat baffled by what they’re doing with David. Why have they gone out of their way to make a side character who also happens to be the kindest man on Earth? There are multiple B-plots concerning him where all that happens is that he does something incredibly kind. There’s no mini-arc for him, or anyone else. No one one learns any life lesson. We just take a moment away from the main sci-fi plot to watch David risk infection by a plague in order to feed the homeless, apropos of nothing.

It’s really weird.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 27, 2018

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Comrade Fakename posted:

Why have they gone out of their way to make a side character who also happens to be the kindest man on Earth? There are multiple B-plots concerning him where all that happens is that he does something incredibly kind. There’s no min-arc for him, or anyone else. No one one learns any life lesson. We just take a moment away from the main sci-fi plot to watch David risk infection by a plague in order to feed the homeless, apropos of nothing.

It’s really weird.

Maybe the idea is to show that humanity is worth saving, that good does exist in the world that we know goes to poo poo.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Oroborus posted:

Maybe the idea is to show that humanity is worth saving, that good does exist in the world that we know goes to poo poo.

I guess? But Our Heroes Save The World in plenty of other TV shows, and films and other media, and I’ve never seen any feel the need to point out that saving the world is a good thing because of this one guy. Certainly not repeatedly.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s a little weird for how involved he gets, I know social workers and it’s against policy on top of being a bad idea to get so close to clients especially giving them large sums of money out of nowhere.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It’s a little weird for how involved he gets, I know social workers and it’s against policy on top of being a bad idea to get so close to clients especially giving them large sums of money out of nowhere.

But I mean...have you seen Marcy?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah the male audience can pretend he's their self insert that represents his kind and decent they are (as he does some insertion of his own IYKWIM). Also when they kill him off everyone will be real angry at his killer. So if they decide they want the Director to be the ultimate evil, they'll have him overwrite him. A bit like the lass in the final seasons of Angel I guess.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

David is actually the Director

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
David is the best character on the show so the more the better

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I finished the season and the only thing that I don't get is why was 001 so highly trained? He was supposed to basically be a sacrifice to see if the time travel worked so he could have been anyone really.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Gaunab posted:

I finished the season and the only thing that I don't get is why was 001 so highly trained? He was supposed to basically be a sacrifice to see if the time travel worked so he could have been anyone really.

I figured he just picked up skills along the way that would be useful to his survival and continued comfortable life. His access to the back channel system would likely be due to having had access to the guy who made that system, which IIRC is what 004's job was before mental illness took hold.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Yeah this show is really good. I dunno, I'm enjoying it like I enjoyed Person of Interest.

So I just started PoI....Does Jim Caviezl ever get any better than "plank of wood with the word actor written on it"

I'm assuming this machine ends up being some super AI type thing

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
When did we start talking about Tavelers? I binged the show the other week and found it to be pretty good.

For example, I stayed up late to watch a couple extra episodes and in the meantime, I've fallen asleep trying to watch the first episode of Altered Carbon like 3 times.

edit - Lol, wait, I was thinking this was a different thread. I forgot I had bookedmarked this one. Travelers is a good show and I figured out what happened in the last episode rather quickly. :smuggo:

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

So I just started PoI....Does Jim Caviezl ever get any better than "plank of wood with the word actor written on it"

Very much so, especially when he has more regular cast than just Harold to interact with.

• Locked thread