Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

corn in the bible posted:

We'll have to imagine what Spry and the others did while Armic saved his village because we'll never see them again. Instead, Armic has some other, more important people to meet:

https://youtu.be/a6s1FbBMcNw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The twist nobody saw coming!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Choco1980 posted:

Eh, not like it's the first SaGa game where The Creator is an rear end in a top hat.

Chaos was apparently used to create the undead and all other sorts of nasty poo poo, in case it was not clear from the fact the Seven Wonders are monster-infested hellholes. He was actually not being an rear end in a top hat here.

Standard Dad reaction after finding out you were creating world-ending abominations in the basement, really.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 11, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Armic... I've done a horrible thing. I only wanted to surpass the great wizard Leith Torles! There is no excuse for what I've done. Do to me as you wish.

Will Armic get his violent revenge? Of course not.

The Chapas love fish and our fights over fish can get quite nasty. So I know what that's like. You only love magic.

Who among us would not destroy the world over a fish? Let he who is without sin cast the first Fire Arrows.

Armic...

I can finally go home.

So he did.

OK this is the greatest story in jRPG history

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

his staff isn't actually in his hand, it's hovering behind it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Congrats on somewhat maintaining your sanity after LPing two different US routes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Chapa is honestly the best RPG protag I've seen in a while. If only he had a chance to actually show off more of his character.

I like him being married and having children is something that's just revealed at the very end haha

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Armic kind of reminds me of Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles. He's also a small furry creature with a large family, and is sent off from his village to go on an adventure for Reasons. The main difference is that Riki isn't dumb as a brick.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Riki was pretty good when controlled by the player, when you could control when he attacked his status effects were really good.

The main thing I'm taking away from this game is that most of what it's doing vis-a-vis multiple characters interacting uniquely with a central story through their own tangentially related story, was done much better by Live-a-Live. As is there is no reason to replay as other characters to see what happens because it has no bearing on anything the other characters do, certainly it isn't telling the same kind of story as Live-a-Live in that they aren't all fighting the same guy, but it could at least have each character approaching the Chaos thing from angles that are unique to them yet consistent with what the other's learn so that playing the game as all characters builds a whole picture of the overall narrative.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Only a madman would actually bother to play all the US stories. But only by doing so do you get the credit roll, which I imagine very few people have ever legitimately seen.

Saga Frontier 2 is better at telling a story with multiple perspectives. It's the best game in the series, imo, though there's been a couple LPs of it already? I think? So either play it yourself or read one of those. It's pretty rad!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Only a madman would actually bother to play all the US stories. But only by doing so do you get the credit roll, which I imagine very few people have ever legitimately seen.

Saga Frontier 2 is better at telling a story with multiple perspectives. It's the best game in the series, imo, though there's been a couple LPs of it already? I think? So either play it yourself or read one of those. It's pretty rad!

Yeah but half the point of these kinds of stories is wanting to play as the other characters, hell even in the somewhat choppy PS2 game based on the Mummy Returns movie, I had fun playing as Rick O'Connel and am eventually going to get around ot playing as Imhotep to see how his magic powers affect the flow of combat. Even a dumb licensed game has me wanting to see another perspective.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I admit, I'd kill for good fish. I can fully understand Armic here.

He is but a simple man. He wants food and family, like all of us. He cannot understand the harder concepts, but he knows what matters to him. And in the end, isn't that what truly matters? Isn't that to live true to yourself?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Of course Armic is married and has a family and said family is huge.

Of course.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So what you're saying is you're definitely going to 100% the game here?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I guess it really is like the man says: if you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first CONTROL THE UNIVERSE.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I love that there is zero explanation why the elder chose three reasonably qualified Chapas and one dumbass. Hell, when he is announcing the choices, even he seems puzzled why Armic is among them. I kept anticipating some kind of reveal at the end. Nope!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

So what you're saying is you're definitely going to 100% the game here?

I'm never playing this game ever again

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I really wish the last one ended up on Baldurk's archive, I'm not sure it's still in the forum archives.

I dont know posted:

I love that there is zero explanation why the elder chose three reasonably qualified Chapas and one dumbass. Hell, when he is announcing the choices, even he seems puzzled why Armic is among them. I kept anticipating some kind of reveal at the end. Nope!

The reveal is that it turns out the prophecy just needed one guy with more dick than brains.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the LP, corn! This was a fascinating look into a series I've never interacted with much.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm never playing this game ever again

I can't blame you for that. It looks incredibly confusing even after your explanations.

Great job getting through two of the stories and showing that this game really can be LPed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Here's the credits music, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbVGMZ7e2k

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I dont know posted:

Because Armic is likeable. The elder said as much. Armic is the only chapa sent out that actually has partners at the end. Sure, he's a clumsy buffoon, but he makes friends easily and is laid-back enough that he doesn't put his own quest ahead of his friends goals. The other chapas sent out come off as... kinda dickish?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And then they died lonely unloved failures for all we know.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Thanks for doing this, corn. It's been really interesting seeing how this game actually works.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am just so so happy that our boy Norff was best friends till the end. I attempted this game 1000 years ago, its kinda nice getting a bit of closure on the Riki storyline.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Well, obviously the thread is not back, but I wanted to let you guys know that SaGa Scarlet Grace seems to be coming to the West! Hooray!

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Unless they plan on overhauling the graphics for the console ports, I'll probably get it on my iPhone. I beat the hell out of Romancing SaGa 2 there, so I'll be sure to try Scarlet Grace.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

were you upset that Unlimited Saga has weird board game dungeons and visual novel cutscenes? well, now there are no dungeons at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdZtpX_XaY

no reels, either, though (i'm sad about this)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

In the end, there is nothingness,

Truly the Unlimited SaGa experience.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, obviously the thread is not back, but I wanted to let you guys know that SaGa Scarlet Grace seems to be coming to the West! Hooray!

The perfect excuse to suffer through another story, with reels!

don't kill me, it's a joke

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Im hype. Saw some dumb cute character sprites and meters that Im sure are representing 3 different esoteric sub systems. Im hype!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looks like your LP is on the Archive.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looks like your LP is on the Archive.

It is! Also, Sacrlet Grace comes out on the 2nd, but only in Japanese :(

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm a bit late discovering this LP, but I just wanted to say thanks for doing it. I kind of want to play Unlimited SaGa now, or at least try (or retry) a different SaGa title.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I'm a bit late discovering this LP, but I just wanted to say thanks for doing it. I kind of want to play Unlimited SaGa now, or at least try (or retry) a different SaGa title.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you are interested in playing a SaGa, I'd recommend one of the frontiers, or perhaps the recent PC version of Romancing SaGa 2 if you like 16-bit stuff. PS2 Romancing SaGa is neat but it is pretty slow and also incredibly long, which is a lot of commitment to something you may be unable to complete.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'd like to say I enjoyed this too, Thanks for showing off this game I bought at Half Price Books one day and never considered playing. Wanted to see Laura and Ventus' route tho.

Between this and the recent games that are essentially SaGa games(Octopath and Alliance Alive) I started playing SaGa 2's remake but uh, I broke the game and skipped the Kai's Body dungeon somehow. It'd be nice if someone Let's played more of the series.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

I'd like to say I enjoyed this too, Thanks for showing off this game I bought at Half Price Books one day and never considered playing. Wanted to see Laura and Ventus' route tho.

Between this and the recent games that are essentially SaGa games(Octopath and Alliance Alive) I started playing SaGa 2's remake but uh, I broke the game and skipped the Kai's Body dungeon somehow. It'd be nice if someone Let's played more of the series.

I've LP'd the Wonderswan remake of SaGa 1 (it's just better graphics, no other changes) and the DS Remake of SaGa 2 so far over in the 30 years of Final Fantasy LP megathread in my chronological effort to play all the shiny remakes, including the spin-offs that got the Final Fantasy moniker on them. Currently just started Sword of Mana. A couple games down the line will be the DS remake of SaGa 3. The OPs, the "Good Friends Gaming" people are kinda on hiatus but are presently a little bit into FF8, and they do video LPs. A second unofficial Good Friend, Agradine, has also stepped up and recently started doing FFT: war of the lions to piggy back off my piggy back, as I'm not touching the tactics games with a ten foot pole, because I'm bad at them and I just can't get into the stories.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

I've LP'd the Wonderswan remake of SaGa 1 (it's just better graphics, no other changes) and the DS Remake of SaGa 2 so far over in the 30 years of Final Fantasy LP megathread in my chronological effort to play all the shiny remakes, including the spin-offs that got the Final Fantasy moniker on them. Currently just started Sword of Mana. A couple games down the line will be the DS remake of SaGa 3. The OPs, the "Good Friends Gaming" people are kinda on hiatus but are presently a little bit into FF8, and they do video LPs. A second unofficial Good Friend, Agradine, has also stepped up and recently started doing FFT: war of the lions to piggy back off my piggy back, as I'm not touching the tactics games with a ten foot pole, because I'm bad at them and I just can't get into the stories.

There is actually a couple things added, like the fight with Schirach and the fatestone that comes with it and some sidequests with another fatestone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

BrokenLink posted:

There is actually a couple things added, like the fight with Schirach and the fatestone that comes with it and some sidequests with another fatestone.

You're thinking of Romancing SaGa, which is the fourth SaGa game. The first three were on game boy, and released in the West as the Final Fantasy Legend games.

• Locked thread