Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
A friend recommended DCC to me a couple weeks back and I read all 5 books in a straight shot and enjoyed every minute of it. What a fun ride.

I have never read a book in this genre before and I'm pretty sure I never want to read another one outside of this series. I think I'll just assume I've now read the best the genre has to offer and wait for book 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Haystack posted:

I read Iron Prince, and while it was pleasant enough I don't really plan to read any more in the series. One of the things that took me out of it was the stakes of the plot. The fact that Reidon's entire goal is to be... a really cool sports celebrity kind of deflates any sense of weight to what he's doing. It really compounds the issue where it's easy to see that Reidon's growth spec mean that he's mathematically guaranteed to be the best of the best given, like, any reasonable measure of time or effort. Sure, it's great for him that he's a battle junkie and is well-suited to take advantage of his CAD, but I just can't care much that the failure state for his struggles is that he might have to wait a year before utterly trivializing a sports tournament.

I mean it’s pretty clear that eventually he’s gonna fight in that war against the gleep glops or whatever but yeah the stakes are pretty low in the first book

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2022

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Victorkm posted:

I've been reading the novelizations of The Wandering Inn web serial (Which isnt really KU but is Isekai and LitRPG adjacent.) Its sort of a slice of life style story about a young girl named Erin who is somehow transported from our world to slightly outside of a city occupied by Drakes (Basically dragonborn) Gnolls, and a hive of the mysterious (To Erin) insectile Antinium. She stumbles upon an abandoned Inn outside of the city and gets it cleaned up and operational while making acquaintance with local guardsmen Relc and Klbch (One of the Antinium and a very influential villain in recent history before a treaty ended the Antinium Wars) and finding out that this world's inhabitants can gain classes and levels as she becomes a low level [innkeeper] and gains some useful skills like [Basic Cleaning] and cooking and crafting.

At the same time, another young woman from Earth named Ryoka is introduced who is a Runner, a messenger who runs between cities delivering messages. Ryoka is basically the person who has memorized the "What you really want to know if you get isekai'd" graphic and has refused the efforts of the world to give her a class, levels, or skills. She is terrified of accidentally giving the secrets of earth technology to this incredibly war-prone world while dealing with her own lack of personal skills getting her into trouble with bullies amongst her fellow Runners.

The first stretch of the story is the trajectory leading to Ryoka and Erin meeting each other. While Ryoka is incredibly protective of most of her knowledge from Earth, Erin is pretty much the opposite - unable to lie, really outgoing and volunteering her origin easily to people she befriends. Her and Ryoka's actions begin changing the course of destiny for a lot of important personages around the city of Liscor and the continent at large, while its also quickly revealed that there have been TONS of people transported from Earth to this world who are having similar effects on other continents.

While the story is slice-of-life the events that occur are major and world changing, and the story doesnt only follow Ryoka and Erin the whole time. The other good thing is that the novels are LONG. I dont think any of the 5 I have finished have been much less than a thousand kindle pages. I'm not the best judge of good writing but I've been really enjoying it so far.

Wandering Inn is good if you’re into that kind of thing as long as you understand that skipping almost all of a chapter is fine if it’s following a character you don’t care about and you aren’t enjoying it (lookin at you Flos and crew). Also know that the serial is maybe two or three times as long as the novelizations. It’s fuckin long

If you’re looking for discussion of it, that’s mostly in the web serial thread. I stay out of it though since I’m perpetually 5-10 chapters behind

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Cicero posted:

The Wandering Inn's pacing is a glacier moving through a sea of molasses. At least in terms of the plot movement:word count ratio anyway.

Yeah. Not wrong. It’s as long as it is and this far in they have not even seen the big boss of the dungeon they found under the town in volume 1. Not that the characters haven’t done and accomplished a lot of other big stuff but dang.

I still read periodically and enjoy it but you can absolutely skip entire sets of chapters if they aren’t vibing with you. There are wikis where you can easily just check to see if you missed something important in those hundred pages

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Drew Hayes just released a new book which appears to be an anthology taking place in the Villains Code world. I’m in the middle of another book right now but will definitely be picking it up as soon as I finish

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

KU has always been a quantity game, but the huge weight of the quantity makes a good case as long as you like genre fiction.

Also the new Dungeon Crawler Carl is out next week

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Just a final heads up that the new dungeon crawler Carl comes out tomorrow and the preorder price is cheaper than the release price will be, so last chance (for now) to get it for less than full price

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

Drew Hayes is one of my favorite KU-level authors.

I finished the latest Dungeon Crawler Carl book - I liked it, but as always Dinniman leaves off with an escalation in stakes that makes me eager for the next book. I hate how much I love these deeply stupid books.

I just finished it last night too. This book was always going to be a bit of a build up book since so much weight is being put into what’s going to happen on the 9th floor.

Overall it was a good book and had a lot of great character driven sections especially with the AI. Not sure if I need to spoiler that but I will anyway. Carl was generally more reactive in this book instead of having huge plans he was pulling off, but it all made sense in the story.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

For anyone who liked Iron Prince, the sequel Fire and Song comes out on the 31st on unlimited. I liked the original well enough even though it was super low stakes. It feels like the sequel needs to at least lead into the actual war that the galaxy is supposed to be losing instead of low stakes combat sports college, but I'll give it a shot.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

awesmoe posted:

I read this (Fire and Song) yesterday and found it deeply irritating. The exact same problems as the first one - low stakes, contrived, and slow. Hell, its basically the same book, complete with tiny titbits of actual plot being thrown in at the start and end to make you think something interesting is going on. But no, the meat of it is a giant long robot fighting tournament (fine), people keeping incredibly obvious secrets for basically indecipherable reasons (spoiler its because there's no other conflict to be had except student athletics) (ALSO THEYRE THE SAME SECRETS AS LAST BOOK!! THEYRE NOT EVEN NEW SECRETS!!), and a military system so incredibly stupid that I'm genuinely rooting for the aliens.

Well thats disappointing to hear but I’ll probably still read that garbage

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I haven’t had a chance to read fire and song yet because it didn’t land at the top of my reading list, but I actually liked the first one with the caveat that I wanted more from the next

I feel like the first one and likely the second one have some issues with multiple authors on a single book? Like one of them is trying to inject the not-really-working conflict and the other is like tournament arc let’s gooooooo. This is just the vibes I’m catching and may be totally wrong.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I finished book 2 (of 2.5 so far) of Drew Hayes's Villains Code. Two extremely long books but I really enjoyed them. Top end KU comfort food imo 👍

Those are both really good. I’d also recommend his Super Powereds series if you want more. It’s a different universe and follows a school for heroes, but it’s good.

Or if you want more villain shenanigans you can always read Worm but that’s a web serial and dips its toe in more horror elements.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

tokenbrownguy posted:

my fellow garbage consumers, im dying for lack of trash. please recommend whatever horrible thing you're enjoying.

I’ve been loving with web serials lately because nothing on KU has looked that good.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

This is probably an appropriate time to mention that I tried out a free Dakota krout audiobook recently only to find out it's real person fanfiction of Elon musk

Ritualist? I windmill dumpster slammed that book out of my checked out library like a dozen pages in. Not sure I’ve ever cringed so quickly after opening a book.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

AARD VARKMAN posted:

here's my schlock request: more superhero school poo poo. anything readable out there beyond Drew Hayes's two series and the web serial Super Supportive?

If you’re willing to drop the School part and are ok with the story edging into horror-adjacent, there’s always the web serial Worm. It’s probably the other best written super hero thing but it’s decidedly darker than anything from Hayes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Roadie posted:

I'm going to anti-rec Worm. I think 'best written' is a stretch compared to a bunch of other stuff out there, and it has the same fail state ending as a bunch of shonen manga, in that every plot arc needs to escalate from the last one until the ending is just 800 pages of people manifesting sudden power ups and screaming at each other as stuff blows up.

I don't disagree that the stakes-raising gets a bit silly by the end, which I'd say is somewhat common in the serialized format. At least for the main character, though, the power ups are mostly just her finding creative new ways to use her powers until the end-end, and there's a loooooot of story before that admittedly way over the top finale. Honestly I didn't like the finale of either of wildbow's serials so I hear you there. All that said, I felt it had above average character writing for being in the 'free shlock' pile and as primarily a horror reader I enjoyed some of the grimier elements.

Totally not for everyone and I get it.