Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

mignolet was trying to hit that into the goal i swear to god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
MIGS NO

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Heart in mouth there.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

T Bowl posted:

Theodore Walcott on to have a run around

I remember when Walcott scored that goal against Liverpool in the Champions League which ultimately meant nothing, when the fixture list meant Liverpool and Arsenal played each other three games in a row.

Cech has declined as a keeper but he could be a genetically engineered super hybrid lovechild of Dino Zoff and Peter Schmeichel and still ship goals with this defence in front of him.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Good match that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Welp

Pretty much as expected

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Christ that game was a shitshow.

I'm away for Christmas so that was your last EvilHawk meltdown of the year. Hope you all enjoyed it.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Christ that game was a shitshow.

NAH

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
i heard some talksport person going on and on about ox being the best of his career and granted i don't always watch liverpool but everything ive seen and read stat wise says thats a load of poo poo, comment?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
MOTM for me has to be Mignolet.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

T Bowl posted:

i heard some talksport person going on and on about ox being the best of his career and granted i don't always watch liverpool but everything ive seen and read stat wise says thats a load of poo poo, comment?

The last couple of games he's started he's been really good. If he plays in the midfield position alongside Coutinho it's unlikely he's going to be this great 10/10 player, just because there are four better players than him in the team, but he's been absolutely fine and if it wasn't for his price tag nobody would be complaining imo.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Merry christmas liverpoo

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

So how long does he get?

Seriously asking, at what point would you say he should no longer be Liverpool manager?
Longer than Rodgers at least.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Simon mignolet is a loving idiot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i didn't realise there was a match on and missed it

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Re Ox I am biased as an Arsenal fan but I would say the main problem is he struggles to maintain consistency, if Klopp can coach that out of him the price tag isn’t an issue. As it stands he is a pricey downgrade on Sterling.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Re Ox I am biased as an Arsenal fan but I would say the main problem is he struggles to maintain consistency, if Klopp can coach that out of him the price tag isn’t an issue. As it stands he is a pricey downgrade on Sterling.

you're not doing andy carroll maths on this

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Guys, I'm beginning to think Liverpool might not be very good. :(

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Well that was a classic game to show why Arsenal and Liverpool won't be winning anything good any time soon.

gently caress me do we need a proper defensive midfielder.

I feel bad for Lovren and Robertson who were both very good that game but will get lumped in with the poo poo defending tag.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

gently caress me do we need a proper defensive midfielder.

I feel bad for Lovren and Robertson who were both very good that game but will get lumped in with the poo poo defending tag.

Good job selling Lucas then who's still only 30.

You need a goalkeeper, a center back, if not two, and at least two midfielders, three if Coutinho leaves.

Mignolet and Karius are both poo poo. Lovren is your best center back and that's faint loving praise at best. Henderson is incredibly overrated, Lallana is looking more and more like a permacrock, Can and Ox just aren't very good, Wijnaldum has no consistency and I'm not sure Klopp knows where he's actually supposed to play.

Saying that, the Liverpool squad is really loving young. Klavan is actually the oldest player at the club, he's a year older than Jimmy "Isn't He Really loving Old?" Milner. Liverpool only have three senior players who are over 30 and one is Adam Bogdan.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

You need a goalkeeper, a center back, if not two, and at least two midfielders, three if Coutinho leaves.

Mignolet and Karius are both poo poo. Lovren is your best center back and that's faint loving praise at best. Henderson is incredibly overrated, Lallana is looking more and more like a permacrock, Can and Ox just aren't very good, Wijnaldum has no consistency and I'm not sure Klopp knows where he's actually supposed to play.

Saying that, the Liverpool squad is really loving young. Klavan is actually the oldest player at the club, he's a year older than Jimmy "Isn't He Really loving Old?" Milner. Liverpool only have three senior players who are over 30 and one is Adam Bogdan.

Lucas didn’t want to stay if he wasn’t a starter. Liverpool wanted him to stay. Also, if he was still around, I suspect you’d be pointing out how much he has continually physically declined since his peak form under Dalglish.

I think Can has basically checked out. The contract situation is in his head regardless of how much everyone is trying to pretend it’s not.

But you’re right. Goalkeeping recruitment and coaching has been, at best, mediocre. The CB and midfield Issues have been glaring for a while and dependent on Klopp man-managing his way out of the shortfalls from Michael Edwards and FSG.

It’d be nice to see some non-Moneyball signings.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Brony Car posted:

It’d be nice to see some non-Moneyball signings.

We literally spend £35m on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Moneyball isn't the issue. Bizarre pickiness is.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Shrapnig posted:

Our average age is actually in that 25-27 bracket and that's where most of our starters are.

I agree with your suggested replacements (though I don't think it's fair to call Lallana a permacrock, this was his first injury in a while).

Our main issue is that we don't have anyone in the squad that are clear replacements for Coutinho and Can, who are almost certain to leave. That means we need to do something in the transfer market - but also we're losing out on a lot of "leadership". A lot of (in my eyes wrong) Liverpool fans had pointed at Can as a potential captain. Coutinho's been a captain a couple of times already this season. Milner probably isn't long for this team. Beyond that... Lovren (who most fans rightly want to get rid of)? Matip (seemingly always injured)? Mané/Salah/Firmino?

We're stuck with Henderson as long as we don't have a clear replacement captain imo.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

If we just had a keeper who remembered he’s got two arms we would have won that game. Quite irritating.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Fabianski will be available in the summer.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Good shout.

I’m glad I’m not an Arsenal fan though. They’re hosed.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i wish good northern lad jimmy milner would leave lovely liverpool and go back to leeds like he always wanted

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i wish good northern lad jimmy milner would leave lovely liverpool and go back to leeds like he always wanted

I don't, as he's clearly better than Jordan Henderson.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Nobody cares about Everton and Chelsea

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

tarbrush posted:

We literally spend £35m on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Moneyball isn't the issue. Bizarre pickiness is.

He was signed because he was available in a situation where Liverpool had decent bargaining leverage, he was younger, and his British nationality meant he has a higher potential resale value. As an attacking player, he also pops out of a statistics spreadsheet more than any defender or defensive midfielder would. It smacks heavily of moneyball.

Anyway, I don’t mind the fact that Liverpool went for him. It was a good situation to move into. It’s more that Liverpool doesn’t seem to have the brain trust to sufficiently address the other long-running holes in the squad.

tarbrush posted:

I don't, as he's clearly better than Jordan Henderson.

It’s spelled “Jordon.”

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Nobody cares about Everton and Chelsea

To be fair El Clasico is on and has actually been a really good game.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Horrible double challenge on hazard

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
https://twitter.com/beardedgenius/status/944534221024055297

:chanpop:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Big Sam 4 lyfe.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

EvilHawk posted:

Not 45 minutes for fucks sake stop being disingenuous. All I'm asking for is 5-10 minutes to calm the game down. Take the life out of Arsenal's fans who remembered they were at a football game for once. Frustrate Wilshere and Ozil who were running the show. give the players a chance to rest.

Other teams are capable of this. We're capable of this. We don't do it.

would you like to swap managers

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Those shoes are good as is big sam

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

what are those

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009