Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
This should be fun for the neutral. That usually means that it will be bad for me.

Who’s this Maitland-Niles kid? Has he started for Arsenal in the league before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Guys, I'm beginning to think Liverpool might not be very good. :(

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

Good job selling Lucas then who's still only 30.

You need a goalkeeper, a center back, if not two, and at least two midfielders, three if Coutinho leaves.

Mignolet and Karius are both poo poo. Lovren is your best center back and that's faint loving praise at best. Henderson is incredibly overrated, Lallana is looking more and more like a permacrock, Can and Ox just aren't very good, Wijnaldum has no consistency and I'm not sure Klopp knows where he's actually supposed to play.

Saying that, the Liverpool squad is really loving young. Klavan is actually the oldest player at the club, he's a year older than Jimmy "Isn't He Really loving Old?" Milner. Liverpool only have three senior players who are over 30 and one is Adam Bogdan.

Lucas didn’t want to stay if he wasn’t a starter. Liverpool wanted him to stay. Also, if he was still around, I suspect you’d be pointing out how much he has continually physically declined since his peak form under Dalglish.

I think Can has basically checked out. The contract situation is in his head regardless of how much everyone is trying to pretend it’s not.

But you’re right. Goalkeeping recruitment and coaching has been, at best, mediocre. The CB and midfield Issues have been glaring for a while and dependent on Klopp man-managing his way out of the shortfalls from Michael Edwards and FSG.

It’d be nice to see some non-Moneyball signings.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

tarbrush posted:

We literally spend £35m on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Moneyball isn't the issue. Bizarre pickiness is.

He was signed because he was available in a situation where Liverpool had decent bargaining leverage, he was younger, and his British nationality meant he has a higher potential resale value. As an attacking player, he also pops out of a statistics spreadsheet more than any defender or defensive midfielder would. It smacks heavily of moneyball.

Anyway, I don’t mind the fact that Liverpool went for him. It was a good situation to move into. It’s more that Liverpool doesn’t seem to have the brain trust to sufficiently address the other long-running holes in the squad.

tarbrush posted:

I don't, as he's clearly better than Jordan Henderson.

It’s spelled “Jordon.”

• Locked thread