Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This movie will be on Netflix/ TMNGo very soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I started Authority and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Re distribution, am I reading it right in that Netflix will be immediately be releasing this overseas, while it will be in theaters in NA?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
As for distribution, I believe North America gets a regular ol' theatrical release in late February. Then International-not-North America will get it two weeks later. I assume North America Netflix gets the movie around the same time as it usually would - home movie release I'm assuming.

Authority is the best book in my opinion. It expands the world a little more and is less manipulative in terms of its ambiguity.

I'm really having a hard time trying to reconcile what happens in the books to how they're going to make it into a movie. Maybe all three books will be crammed into one somehow, but from the trailers it doesn't seem like the case.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Professor Shark posted:

It appears that she is being debriefed about her experience in the area, unless I'm remembering wrong and they're asking about her husband. In the book she goes to the island that her husband said he was going to try to get to and she doesn't return.

It actually could be right in line with the novels, as they could be interrogating Ghost Bird, not the biologist, however Garland has said he took nothing from the other books so it's unlikely.

Professor Shark posted:

I started Authority and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Re distribution, am I reading it right in that Netflix will be immediately be releasing this overseas, while it will be in theaters in NA?

Authority is the best of the three by miles.

Danger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 17, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Danger posted:

It actually could be right in line with the novels, as they could be interrogating Ghost Bird, not the biologist, however Garland has said he took nothing from the other books so it's unlikely.

It's weird that this movie of all movies is like that considering how the books were only published 2 months apart or something.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Danger posted:

Authority is the best of the three by miles.

I've been watching the trailers under the assumption that it's Ghost Bird that they're speaking to. That could function as a twist for the endgame of the film - showing how the biologist meets her, uh, "end" and setting up a doppelganger on the outside as if "the Shimmer"/Area X is infiltrating the real world.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

The Clap posted:

I've been watching the trailers under the assumption that it's Ghost Bird that they're speaking to. That could function as a twist for the endgame of the film - showing how the biologist meets her, uh, "end" and setting up a doppelganger on the outside as if "the Shimmer"/Area X is infiltrating the real world.

Yea. That was one of the best reveals in Authority: that the "border" wasn't at all what they thought it was and if a border truly exists, it has some far different grasp of space than they understand.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

Danger posted:

Yea. That was one of the best reveals in Authority: that the "border" wasn't at all what they thought it was and if a border truly exists, it has some far different grasp of space than they understand.

The more distance I have from Authority the more I love it. What a brilliant 180 from the pacing and sense of discovery in Annihilation. I really don't think there's any way they get through the movie without using elements from the other books.
Hell, the lighthouse/asteroid of light are in the trailer!

Man, all of this speculation is further confirmation that I need to go back and reread all three books. My first time reading them I was a little too excited - I had never read anything like it before and the premise itself was so new and unique that I was sort of burning through it, trying to learn more about everything as quickly as possible. Of course it was incredible but I think another pass where I'm taking my time to really digest and reread passages would be really beneficial.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished Authority in record time for me, I really liked it.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

The Clap posted:

The more distance I have from Authority the more I love it. What a brilliant 180 from the pacing and sense of discovery in Annihilation.
What's weird about Authority is how goddamn funny it is in parts. Didn't see that coming.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished Acceptance last night and I feel that I didn't understand fully what was going on, just hints.

Crossposting from Book Barn:

Professor Shark posted:

I just finished Acceptance a few minutes ago and I don’t even know what to think.

What is up with the cell phone? Was it a failed attempt to replicate, or was it really a way to contact Lowry? Why does Gloria think Area X wants him to come back?

I get that Control turned into his cat at the end, what did jumping into the light do to change Area X? I assumed that there was a portal at the bottom and that’s how the clones got out.

Is that really the end of the storyline? Vandermeer isn't going to move the plot forward? If that's the case, did Area X envelope the rest of the world and start terraforming?

Is Area X located on Earth? Is it pulling chunks of Earth somewhere else?

Is there a good resource I could read?

The impression I get is that Area X is basically an Alien Roomba that gets turned on to see what it does, then it immediately starts cleaning a room for a species that is long dead. Whatever it vacuums up it analyzes and sometimes repurposes, but the goal is to prepare an environment for colonization... ?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 29, 2018

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

That's fairly spot on. There's a passage late in Acceptance that actually spells it out in a surprising amount of clarity, given the rest of the books (pretty big plot details):

quote:

She saw or felt, deep within, the cataclysm like a rain of comets that had annihilated an entire biosphere remote from Earth. Witnessed how one made organism had fragmented and dispersed, each minute part undertaking a long and perilous passage through spaces between, black and formless, punctuated by sudden light as they came to rest, scattered and lost—emerging only to be buried, inert, in the glass of a lighthouse lens. And how, when brought out of dormancy, the wire tripped, how it had, best as it could, regenerated, begun to perform a vast and preordained function, one compromised by time and context, by the terrible truth that the species that had given Area X its purpose was gone. She saw the membranes of Area X, this machine, this creature, saw the white rabbits leaping into the border, disappearing, and coming out into another place, the leviathans, the ghosts, watching from beyond. All of this in fragments through taste or smell or senses she didn’t entirely understand.

There was an alien machine or device that arrived in that location after their planet was destroyed. It was in the meteorite that the S&S brigade was studying, and was used to make the lighthouse mirror. The device's purpose was to rebuild the alien environment after a catastrophe by sampling the surroundings, copying and replicating/rebuilding them. On Earth, it is doing what it's supposed to do, but it's confused as to what it's sampling. It doesn't know what a cell phone is, so it replicates it as an animal. It sees an organism and recreates it without the full knowledge of how environment works. It's basically transforming with incongruous information.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I should probably read Authority one of these days since I already own it, I really liked Annihilation. This movie doesn't really interest me though. Farewell.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Mean Bean Machine posted:

the director has admitted he's changed the ending. he also didn't read the other books, and envisioned this as a self-contained story. also says he's made a bunch of other changes.

This is for the best. I read Annihilation in one sitting, but got about a third of the way through Authority before deciding I didn't care much for the office politics of the Southern Reach.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So I'm guessing "I didn't read the other books" is going to be the response to the inevitable whitewashing accusations?

(The biologist is revealed to be half Asian and the psychologist is revealed to be half Native American in Heinlein-esque single sentence drops in Authority)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 20, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

So I'm guessing "I didn't read the other books" is going to be the response to the inevitable whitewashing accusations?

(The biologist is revealed to be half Asian and the psychologist is revealed to be half Native American in Heinlein-esque single sentence drops in Authority)

Yeah so far that's kind of been the response. I didn't remember them specifying their races it until I read those headlines either.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I've read all three books and I literally don't remember that, although I wasn't paying that close of attention in Authority. Control is hispanic (or half?) but the books made more of a deal out of that. At least the brief images of the rest of the team in the trailer look pretty diverse? And if the ending is changed the psychologist may just be effectively a random character.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Zachack posted:

I've read all three books and I literally don't remember that, although I wasn't paying that close of attention in Authority. Control is hispanic (or half?) but the books made more of a deal out of that. At least the brief images of the rest of the team in the trailer look pretty diverse? And if the ending is changed the psychologist may just be effectively a random character.

Yeah I was totally expecting Oscar Isaac to be playing Control at first.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm pretty torn on the accusations of white washing, because while I think it is a real issue in film, the author didn't bother to include any real descriptions of the characters in the first book and the argument seems to boil down to "Well you/someone on staff should have read the rest of the series :colbert:", which I don't think is fair.

Oscar Issac playing Control would have been great. More Oscar Issac is better in general.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

It's over, y'all. In the movie they gave her a name. This poo poo is hosed. I'm boycotting immediately. Gonna stand outside the local AMC and wave around a big sign that says "gently caress TO ALEX GARLAND".

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

This movie is getting great reviews, y'all - 90% on Rotten Tomatoes right now. So at the very least, critics are digging it.

I'm fuckin crazy excited, you guys. Only 27 more hours.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
Just got back from a screening of this. Some of the story beats reminded me of "Arrival" (the way the film is framed/the way the timeline jumps around often, the journey into the unknown, military presence, even the score near the end a little).

One thing that interested me is that the alien is described a few times as "not wanting" anything; it's just acting on impulses (which, as we learn, the team of women are guilty of too). This tied the outside world narrative to what's happening inside the shimmer nicely, but by the end you're still left with no solid answers, just some haunting/frightening imagery, vague babble about biology/"refracting DNA", and most character threads being abruptly cut off without any clear resolution.

If anyone else has seen it, the one question I had was that in many of the interview scenes in the present day, we see a tattoo of an 8 (or an infinity symbol?) on the biologist's left arm, which I don't believe is on her in other scenes. The sober woman who goes crazy and ties them up also has this, shown in a later scene, I believe? Is this a hint that the narrator has assimilated her team mates/isn't the same person who went in or something? The fact that her "real" husband blew himself up and is now replaced by a copy seems to back up that we're not watching the "real" biologist being interviewed, as well as the last shot of their eyes.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm still holding out hope that it's a huge success

I'm not seeing it happen but who knows. The ending is a little too low-energy/anti-climactic and light on real explanations to make the average viewer want to suggest it to friends, I think.

warez fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 22, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

warez posted:

Just got back from a screening of this. Some of the story beats reminded me of "Arrival" (the way the film is framed/the way the timeline jumps around often, the journey into the unknown, military presence, even the score near the end a little).

One thing that interested me is that the alien is described a few times as "not wanting" anything; it's just acting on impulses (which, as we learn, the team of women are guilty of too). This tied the outside world narrative to what's happening inside the shimmer nicely, but by the end you're still left with no solid answers, just some haunting/frightening imagery, vague babble about biology/"refracting DNA", and most character threads being abruptly cut off without any clear resolution.

If anyone else has seen it, the one question I had was that in many of the interview scenes in the present day, we see a tattoo of an 8 (or an infinity symbol?) on the biologist's left arm, which I don't believe is on her in other scenes. The sober woman who goes crazy and ties them up also has this, shown in a later scene, I believe? Is this a hint that the narrator has assimilated her team mates/isn't the same person who went in or something? The fact that her "real" husband blew himself up and is now replaced by a copy seems to back up that we're not watching the "real" biologist being interviewed, as well as the last shot of their eyes.

I'm not seeing it happen but who knows. The ending is a little too low-energy/anti-climactic and light on real explanations to make the average viewer want to suggest it to friends, I think.

Well, in the book...

The Biologist doesn't make it out. Her copy does, and becomes one of the central characters in the later two books, as something about the Biologist makes her not quite... fit, leaving her copy with more free will than any of the others.

Gookzilla
Apr 3, 2003

Hate motivates
Saw it at a screener last night. I haven't read the books, so I'm not familiar with any of how the author intended it, but as a standalone movie, I thought it was superb. The ending will definitely be a turn-off for most people, but I didn't mind. It let the audience work things out for themselves rather than package everything up nice and neat.
Also, the bear scene was the scariest/freakiest sequence I've seen in theaters in a few years.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
For anyone who’s seen Annihilation, without getting into spoilers, does it have any sexual menace/violence? I know that’s a pet topic of Alex Garland’s and I’m wondering if it appears.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

For anyone who’s seen Annihilation, without getting into spoilers, does it have any sexual menace/violence? I know that’s a pet topic of Alex Garland’s and I’m wondering if it appears.

I won’t be able to speak on the movie until later tonight but the book doesn’t really approach any sexual topics at all, let alone dive into sexual menace or violence.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Another question!

Is it scary? My movie partner doesn't like scary movies and the trailers made it look creepy / scary. Like I know its not a horror movie but whats the over all tone?

I really want to see this movie if only because I really like Natalie.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Not that I remember, and I’m pretty tuned to that usually. There’s definitely violence against the women just because of their situation, but no sexual assault/rape/whatever.

MarcusSA posted:

Another question!

Is it scary? My movie partner doesn't like scary movies and the trailers made it look creepy / scary. Like I know its not a horror movie but whats the over all tone?

I really want to see this movie if only because I really like Natalie.

There’s a tone of dread and maybe two light jump scares. A kind of intense/suspenseful scene with characters bound/gagged and trying to avoid making any sounds. I didn’t think it was a scary movie but I don’t get spooked too easily, ymmv. The trailer was a good indicator of the film’s tone I think.

warez fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 22, 2018

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Professor Shark posted:

I finished Authority in record time for me, I really liked it.

It’s even better if you work for/have worked for an underfunded govt org or project attached to a public university. I was explaining parts, little details about how things functioned, to my wife and she bioth thought it was hilariously spot on and too depressing to read on her time off.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Just got out of a 7pm screening (so probably one of the first ones around the US) and all around loved it. Excellent job of "show, don't tell". I haven't read the books, but I've heard others mention how it generally has a constant uneasy/dreadful feeling... I think the movie nailed that. Alamo called it "cerebral sci-fi" and that sounds right to me since the viewer isn't spoon-fed.

e: Answering your question in the tag:

warez posted:

If anyone else has seen it, the one question I had was that in many of the interview scenes in the present day, we see a tattoo of an 8 (or an infinity symbol?) on the biologist's left arm, which I don't believe is on her in other scenes. The sober woman who goes crazy and ties them up also has this, shown in a later scene, I believe? Is this a hint that the narrator has assimilated her team mates/isn't the same person who went in or something?

I first noticed the tattoo on the sober lady in that scene where the crocodile thing with shark teeth attacked, then on the following interview scene, you see the tattoo on the biologist's arm. That had to be a hint of something being up with the biologist after getting out of the shimmer.

air- fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 23, 2018

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

That ending was some of the best outlandish, existential science fiction I've seen in a movie in years. Seeing it on a big screen felt surreal.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Holy poo poo this movie is incredible.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Another easter egg I just thought about

Was that house they found in the shimmer identical to the biologists house? Same living room, layout, stairs etc?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GeekyManatee posted:

That ending was some of the best outlandish, existential science fiction I've seen in a movie in years. Seeing it on a big screen felt surreal.

As someone outside the U.S. I look forward to seeing it on Netflix then. :mad:

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
yeah I'm super disappointed there aren't any cinema showings in the uk :( Me and my best friend have been looking forward to seeing this movie in the cinema since it was announced (we both really loved the books) and now we're going to have to watch it on a lovely laptop if we want to watch it at all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I went to a red carpet at Fox Theater with Natalie Portman a few weeks ago... I'm clearly in the wrong here because the movie's getting a 90% on RT but I didn't like the movie. Reposting my review which I posted in the genchat a few weeks ago not knowing that this thread existed:

As an Alex Garland fan I was disappointed in how clunky it was. It's too over-explained to be a contemplative film like Tarkovsky (and lord knows it's trying to be Tarkovsky), it's not engaging enough to be like any of Garland's other films. I'm sure there is some subtext and symbolism that flew over my head, and I look forward to reading some of you guys writing essays explaining it and illuminating the film somewhat, but the movie just fails as an entertainment.

Sometimes the movie just mashes something in your face and goes "DO YOU GET IT? DO YOU GET IT NOW?"

I never thought I would side with the studio when it came to the edit of a film, but the ending was clunky and tonedeaf and stuff that was supposed to be creepy dragged on too long to the point where it stopped being scary and started becoming goofy instead.

Pros: There were three or four really really good horror scenes but not enough to recommend it, especially one horror scene that was clearly an homage to The Thing, and does John Carpenter proud. The female-dominated cast is pretty good, especially seeing them as military. The production design is very very very good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Annihilation - 86/100
Interesting and visually arresting adaptation of the sci-fi novel; manages to be somewhat by-the-numbers and bugfuck-crazy simultaneously. Aside from the setting and a some major plot beats it's not all that similar to the book when all is said and done, more of a good compliment, a story with similar trappings to its source material that actually explores different themes. There's an unforgettable scene late in the film that you absolutely do not want spoiled for you, and I think it really manages to justify some of the more lethargic pacing of the first half. Incredible sound design.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This movie was cool and good and you should all see it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I liked it but I thought the ambling killer bear (who screams with the voice of a woman!) was retarded and the onset of madness wasn't properly built up. She just came across like a dumb rear end in a top hat who fixated on the first wrinkle she could find and completely snapped. She volunteered for a drat suicide mission. She should be a little more fatalistic.

Pretending that whole sequence wasn't there, I give it an A-.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So do you think the military realized she wasn't herself because she had the tattoo of the paramedic when she came back and that's why everyone was observing her?

It seems to me they were all dead at the point of the time jump in the beginning and from that point forward we were seeing their duplicates, Lena's seemed to absorb the tattoo from the paramedic and I feel like if I go back I'll see other things like that.

I can 100% see why that movie did very poorly in test screenings though but I thoroughly enjoyed it and am still thinking about it.

• Locked thread