Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I saw the terrible reviews for this and thought I had to watch it to see what the deal was, to discover it's mostly a generic buddy-comedy.

Not being American I could have lost some of the specific nuances in the racial metaphors flying around, but I thought the main point was all the poo poo people talk about Orcs in this movie is not supposed to be taken at face value.

Like, one internal affairs cop says "No Orc has a six foot vertical, not being racist, it's science, they're heavy and slow!". You are not supposed to believe him, he's a dickhead. The Ike Barinholtz cop says his ancestors killed Orcs by the thousands and he wishes he could too, and that "They chose evil 2000 years ago, they're irredeemable". He's a cowardly greedy racist murderer, everything he says should be discounted, but some people think the movie is siding against the Orcs and with the cops?

It is not at all subtle, but the intent is clear.

Specifically with people complaining about the "Fairy lives don't matter today" line, they seem to be upset that the film is siding with real life "All lives matter" or "Blue Lives Matter" dickheads, but that doesn't really follow if you look at the movie. When Will Smith gets shot by that Orc at the beginning the entire reason that Jakoby lets that Orc kid go is because he knows for certain that when human cops show up, it doesn't matter how innocent that kid is, he would get gunned down on the spot. When he tells Will Smith this later, Will doesn't argue it at all, is just upset he wasn't told. It is a statement of fact in this movie that if cops find a minority in a slightly dodgy situation, they will gun him down and get away with it.

It's doesn't side with cops at all, Fresh Prince and Jakoby are only good because they don't do what the other cops do. As the movie goes on, they shed their uniforms and blend in with the populace, having to stop being cops to survive. Will has to gun down 4 cops and is totally justified and correct in doing so. When they are honoured at the end in the bullshit ceremony, it makes him sick because they do not deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This movie is a solid 6.5/10 and I seriously cannot imagine a routine film-watcher coming out thinking it's the worst thing they've ever seen. I mean drat, because there are a lot of actually loving bad films out there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hipster Occultist posted:

They explain that. Elves are at the top because they have the most mages (human Brights being rare as gently caress), not hard to see how having a near monopoly on magic would make you a different kind of 1%.

Oh gently caress, that's right.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Bright is the best feature film released in the year 2017.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vhak lord of hate posted:

It's really cool you subconsciously came up with an alt right talking point and all it took was a very thin racial metaphor

Sorry for the double post, on my phone.

To be fair, I was coming up with what an evil overlord might do, not the basis for a utopia. Not exactly sure what tone you were going for.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Inzombiac posted:

Sorry for the double post, on my phone.

To be fair, I was coming up with what an evil overlord might do, not the basis for a utopia. Not exactly sure what tone you were going for.

Your ideas might actually be legit backstory/lore for the setting, although it does throw a wrench into the mix regarding who the hero that helped overthrow the BBEG was but we do get a bit of information as to why he might not be with other warrior types later in the film.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress man, this movie gets really loving hilarious about 1 hour 20 minutes in. Like I was kinda into this movie but then I'm just cracking up. The orc cop gets shot and killed by a gang leader for not giving up the wand and it's the silliest poo poo in the world. Then he's about to kill Will Smith's character so the elf woman just pulls the wand out of her arm and brings him back to life and everyone is all in awe. So it's a big reveal she's a magical elf. Then we get a huge exposition dump to get us into the climax before she dies from using magic poo poo, and all of the writing around it is so fuckin' generic and uninspired it feels like a parody. It probably is?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

While this wasn't good, it also was not the worst movie of the year. In fact, as others have said, the first hour or so of the movie is entertaining as a buddy cop flick. The rest of the runtime is predictable, occasionally cringeworthy and silly.

I am a bit surprised that they would greenlight another--though Netflix did give Hemlock Grove three seasons so who know what if any standard they have. I hope the next script isn't dogshit.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the most explicit children's movie I have ever watched.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the elven woman with platinum blonde hair, intense eye makeup, and some vaguely evil lines in the trailer is gonna be my favorite character. What's her deal? Does she hate cops? Wanna get inside her head, figure out where she's at

You're gonna be pretty disappointed because the movie doesn't answer any of those questions.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I enjoyed this well enough, Will Smith is entertaining as always and had some amusing lines here and there. Thought the world building was pretty good and definitely an interesting set up even if it boiled down to essentially a cliched fantasy plot by the end. It was well made and fit well with Ayer's style. I'll watch the sequel

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

gently caress man, this movie gets really loving hilarious about 1 hour 20 minutes in. Like I was kinda into this movie but then I'm just cracking up. The orc cop gets shot and killed by a gang leader for not giving up the wand and it's the silliest poo poo in the world. Then he's about to kill Will Smith's character so the elf woman just pulls the wand out of her arm and brings him back to life and everyone is all in awe. So it's a big reveal she's a magical elf.

This scene was endlessly fascinating.

- It turns out that the one innocent orc kid who Jakoby protected, as he knew human cops couldn’t distinguish him from a criminal and a killer...was, in fact, a criminal days away from his first kill.
- The narrative then outright refuses to give Jakoby’s big act of decency any positive payoff, as the kid just leaves and the dad shoots him instead. It literally comes to nothing.

Bright is weirdly, sneakily prejudiced in its storytelling in a way that goes beyond dumbass cries of ‘Fairy Lives.’

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
why are orcs into death metal but dress like they're into hip hop?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So I tried to watch this tonight and made it to the first Bastille song before I'm having to take a break...for now. I want to finish this, and I don't hate this exactly, but...to be honest? So far all I'm seeing are problems. Problems with the writing, problems with the themes, problems with the characters. I obviously can't give an authentic perspective until I actually watch the rest of the film, but broad strokes impression is that it's...more obnoxious than it is actually relevant. *shrug* I dunno, can't say it any other way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

why are orcs into death metal but dress like they're into hip hop?

Because it's a dumb and lazy movie.
Like, why is there churches? This is a world where people can magically resurrect themselves and everyone else in five minutes which makes Christ having to spend three days resurrecting himself pretty unimpressive.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

garycoleisgod posted:

Like, one internal affairs cop says "No Orc has a six foot vertical, not being racist, it's science, they're heavy and slow!". You are not supposed to believe him, he's a dickhead.

He's proven to be completely right, though. In fact, it's the only piece of actual detective work that occurs in the movie.

In fact, Jakoby is consistently shown to be clumsy, slow and physically inept, from dropping the wand, to failing to chase down the real shooter, to failing to shoot the villain several times in the climax. He's never allowed to prove any of the stereotypes wrong; his few semi-effectual heroic moments are completely rooted in him being a big brute.

The cop also says that Jakoby would rather protect an orc than behave like a police officer, and that turns out to be true, as well.

Sure, Jakoby thinks he's doing it for the right reasons, defending an innocent kid (who's actually hiding from the police because he's the son of a mob boss).

But again, the narrative explicitly doesn't treat this as a rational act of kindness, but as another gently caress-up by the klutz. 'I got confused,' he says, apologetically, to explain his actions.

Not 'I did the right thing - you'd have locked him up because you're a goblin racist'. But 'I got confused.'

Because the internal affairs cop speaks with the language of real-life racism, we assume that the movie is calling him out on it. But it actually puts a bewildering amount of effort into doing exactly the opposite.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im the overanalysis of the b-grade fantasy buddycop movie

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OWLS! posted:

Im the overanalysis of the b-grade fantasy buddycop movie

I honestly wish it was a b-grade fantasy buddycop movie instead of a movie trying very hard to say something deep and important about racism.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
with 2000 years of access to magic and a dragon flying in the sky is the best thing elves can come up with a maserati?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alhazred posted:

I honestly wish it was a b-grade fantasy buddycop movie instead of a movie trying very hard to say something deep and important about racism.

I don't feel like it was actually trying that hard. The racism stuff is mostly the millieu in which it tells its story. While it probably is saying something, it's probably unintentional.

I like the movie, but the way it's scripted is somewhat scatterbrained. There's an aspect of that that gives it charm, imo.

I do kinda think racism being a part of the setting works way better in fantasy LA than say, witcher's vague medieval poland.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

with 2000 years of access to magic and a dragon flying in the sky is the best thing elves can come up with a maserati?

The Inferni wants to raise The Dark Lord and begin a new age of magic. This indicates that magic have not been very common for 2000 years. This is why elves are the ruling class, as they have the most access to magic, and magic crime are under a federal agency instead of being something all cops are trained to handle.

Ever wonder how Jesus was involved with the Dark Lord business?

I also heard a mention of a war involving 9 races, so I guess there are 3 or 4 types of fantasy people they haven’t mentioned.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

The MSJ posted:

The Inferni wants to raise The Dark Lord and begin a new age of magic. This indicates that magic have not been very common for 2000 years. This is why elves are the ruling class, as they have the most access to magic, and magic crime are under a federal agency instead of being something all cops are trained to handle.

Ever wonder how Jesus was involved with the Dark Lord business?

I also heard a mention of a war involving 9 races, so I guess there are 3 or 4 types of fantasy people they haven’t mentioned.

this movie is bullshit

i thought it was an adaptation of a 100+ issue comic book series that skipped out on most of the necessary information regarding this world but this is not the case

dont waste your time defending bullshit things when there are actual good things out there

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
also, this guy, a rapist??????

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Taintrunner posted:

Why does nobody give a poo poo about the giant loving dragon coasting over LA?

Clearly they didn't have the budget to do anything except "silhouette of flying dragon appears for 2 seconds" and they wouldn't want to muddy up the plot by having any of the characters actually interact with a dragon but I really wish they'd gone "gently caress it, we're a fantasy cop procedural, get some cheap practical FX house to whip up a lovely dragon and we'll have the cops dragging it into the station in giant dragon-sized handcuffs in a cutaway shot, threatening to stick the fire hose down its neck if it doesn't stop resisting."

They could even have just made some dragon arms and have the rest of it offscreen. C'mon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The dragon knows that if it tries to breath LA's air, its flame organ will detonate.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The MSJ posted:

The dragon knows that if it tries to breath LA's air, its flame organ will detonate.
LA polluted air probably reminds him of the air of his active birth volcano or something like that.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Umm how am I supposed to watch this movie if they didnt spend 5 hours world building first?? Hello? Who is the main character? McDonalds!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Rape man made bad kid movie

coathat
May 21, 2007

The violent profanity laden kids movie.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the "before and after review" on Max Landis films is great

before: "i think this could be the new star wars"
after: "i actually had like nothing to do with this, they rewrote so much of it"

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Bright was a better film by leaps and bounds than Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

strong bird posted:

Bright was a better film by leaps and bounds than Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Nerd rage aside, you could actually see what was going on in The Last Jedi

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Anti-Citizen posted:

Nerd rage aside, you could actually see what was going on in The Last Jedi

Seriously. Everyone keeps talking about the action and I'm just confused as poo poo. The cuts are constant, the camera is too close to show anything and the only reason I can track who is doing what is because of the production team.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Unoriginal Name posted:

Seriously. Everyone keeps talking about the action and I'm just confused as poo poo. The cuts are constant, the camera is too close to show anything and the only reason I can track who is doing what is because of the production team.

Really? Because I thought the action was plenty clear.

I think a lot of you are literally angry because you have strong feelings about orcs. And haha jeez. Man.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I recommend turning your monitor on before viewing the blockbuster hit of the year, Bright

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't know, you could really feel the budget on this. Like we go back to the motel room with the magick-ed up Elf corpse (a cool design but...) literally four times. A lot of the action choreography felt sloppy--it wasn't hard to follow but the cutting around the action didn't feel right, like we were holding shots a bit too long and as a result the wires, so to speak, were a bit too visible.

I thought there was a potentially interesting dialectical set up in that we have the Orc Cop as the "bad" minority and then the Elf Girl as the "good" minority but the Elf wasn't a character and her actress was terrible so it went nowhere. The broader thematic problem perhaps is that in the United States racism is, ultimately, a binary thing--it's all about black and not. Not to say racism doesn't exist anywhere else but the real foundation of it comes down to that; black people are always the Real Other everybody else is kind of passing through on the way to white, or something like it (not to say brutal racism isn't directed against Mexicans and Chinese and Indians and Jews of course, just that I think that's the psychic underpinning of the whole thing). And there are black people in this universe, so... I guess you could still do something with that if you were smart enough, which this movie isn't. Way too much time devoted to Will Smith (who seems a bit bored) and Edgerton chatting (improvisationally?) and not really moving the story forward.

I feel like that shot in the trailer of Will Smith picking up the sword is what the movie really should have, or at least could have been: crazy fantasy poo poo in Ayer's Los Angeles, but there's really not much of that until the very end. Again, maybe the budget wasn't there. And the set-up doesn't help: it's an alternate history but literally everything has proceeded exactly the same despite the fact that instead of crucifying Jesus the Romans were duking it out in Eastern Europe with the Orcish armies of Dark Lord Sauron (?!?) I mean that's loving stupid but if that's what you're doing lean into it.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 24, 2017

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I was shocked to see all the awful reviews for this. I had heard about a buddy cop orc movie with Will Smith a few months ago, said wtf, and watched it the other day without any other outside info. It definitely had some issues, but I was deeply impressed with the way they sold the world, which shouldn't have worked nearly as well. Every time someone says "magic wand" or "dark lord" all serious I wanted to crack up, but I couldn't because of how real they'd made it all. I especially liked the effects on the wand -- that thing wasn't some Harry Potter piece of wood, it was like a crack in the foundations of the world that sprayed magic lightning all over even the people who were qualified to use it. I liked how even the filthy drunk swinging a sword and raving about the dark lord wasn't (just) crazy, he was actually the equivalent of real life drunk idiots raving about the Confederacy... except as crazy and racist as he was, he was affiliated with the group that were the actual good guys back then... Like people have said, there are a lot of clumsy bits in the way they tried to frame some of the racism stuff, but it all came off as incredibly real despite how fantastic a lot of the elements were, and I can't imagine someone watching this and thinking it's literally the worst movie of the year. I would give it a solid 7.5, because for all the issues I was thoroughly entertained and really want to see more stuff set in this world.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
It's not as bad as the critics rating would make you believe, but it's the worst of Ayers "dudes driving around LA and getting into some poo poo" movies.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

You're gonna be pretty disappointed because the movie doesn't answer any of those questions.

Joke's on you, she had an intense floral print suit, which is way more important than all the other poo poo I wanted. All told, a good character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jenny Angel posted:

Joke's on you, she had an intense floral print suit, which is way more important than all the other poo poo I wanted. All told, a good character

She was honestly the best character after Centaur Cop and Casual Dragon.

• Locked thread