Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

lol you just know there's like dozens of orc RCMP in Canada

in Quebec it wouldn't matter as long as you spoke local French fluently

in the rest, passable formal French would effectively serve the same function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Chyna, same as in this universe

Chyna never held the World championship.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

But not one indigenous Walrus-man*, and gently caress you if you even bring it up.

*I think that's what the Panahu are, based on the infographic.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

But not one indigenous Walrus-man*, and gently caress you if you even bring it up.

*I think that's what the Panahu are, based on the infographic.

One thing they missed I think was not having shadowruns thing of having fantasy races be alongside real world ethnicities. In shadowrun you can be an Asian orc, Hispanic elf, etc.

Would have been interesting to have the dynamic of a white orc and a black human cop.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

to answer the OP's question, no, there is not a thread about Bright yet.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I hear they're legalizing Pipe Weed next year, too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Shadow Run Feng Shui is a real thing that actually works and one game even has you sabotage a company by breaking in and rearranging their furniture.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Shadow Run Feng Shui is a real thing that actually works and one game even has you sabotage a company by breaking in and rearranging their furniture.

Funny, since Max Landis’s business got sabotaged by his couch

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Capntastic posted:

Funny, since Max Landis’s business got sabotaged by his couch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nefiVY1DDT8

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Just saw it. I liked it. Better than the Last Jedi, maybe not as enjoyable as Jumanji.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Critics really got this movie wrong. This was hell of entertaining and way better than Suicide Squad.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This movie made me confused, as to how Fury managed to be so much better. I'd rank it solidly with something like Street Kings or Suicide squad. This is the page of damning the movie with faint praise.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The part where the elves are doing indie pro wrestling spots are good

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Saw the movie and I think it was solid? Not great by any means but it was entertaining. At the end of it I wanted to see more of the world so that's good

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoFqmF9GHWg

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

They won't hire Max Landis for the sequel. Now, about the director...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Desperado Bones posted:

They won't hire Max Landis for the sequel. Now, about the director...

It's gonna be the same guy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

themrguy posted:

Being allowed to serve in the military but not the police force is something that really did happen historically with black people, so it's not that nonsensical that it would happen with another group subject to discrimination too.

Despite the current state of the US military, an army is not an inherently reactionary body like a police force is so that’s not a huge surprise

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's gonna be the same guy.

:negative: nooooooo....

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

How'd you get an interest in seeing more of the film if you don't like the writing or direction? Landis can go fall in a swamp for other reasons, obviously.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder what the evaluation process is for something like Bright, which we'll probably see more of going forward. As in, it's a fairly high budget genre film with legit actors and an A-list star. But there's no box office to look at, do they just evaluate it based on views? That seems less reliable than something like box office just because people don't have to pay extra money to watch Bright the way they do to go to a theatre. Do they do a bunch of focus group kinda stuff to figure out what portion of the views from the first will carry over to the second?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ayer's is Really Good.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder what the evaluation process is for something like Bright, which we'll probably see more of going forward. As in, it's a fairly high budget genre film with legit actors and an A-list star. But there's no box office to look at, do they just evaluate it based on views? That seems less reliable than something like box office just because people don't have to pay extra money to watch Bright the way they do to go to a theatre. Do they do a bunch of focus group kinda stuff to figure out what portion of the views from the first will carry over to the second?

Netflix can tell how many people watched a thing, how long they watched a thing for, what other things the people who watched a thing also like to watch, whether or not those people have kids, and, by cross-checking the email address you used to sign up for Netflix with online consumer databases and your localized IP address, the approximate income levels, spending habits, and politics of not only the person who watched a thing, but also their friends and family.

Box office returns, on the other hand, tell you... the approximate number of people who paid cash money for an anonymous paper ticket at the theater closest to their house for a period of about two months. Hollywood is silently screaming into a pillow all night long about this fact.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Netflix can tell how many people watched a thing, how long they watched a thing for, what other things the people who watched a thing also like to watch, whether or not those people have kids, and, by cross-checking the email address you used to sign up for Netflix with online consumer databases and your localized IP address, the approximate income levels, spending habits, and politics of not only the person who watched a thing, but also their friends and family.

Box office returns, on the other hand, tell you... the approximate number of people who paid cash money for an anonymous paper ticket at the theater closest to their house for a period of about two months. Hollywood is silently screaming into a pillow all night long about this fact.

They key thing there that you mentioned is they can see how many people actually watched Bright from start to finish. Not sure how any of the rest of that helps them figure out how many subscribers would be interested in a sequel to Bright though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

josh04 posted:

How'd you get an interest in seeing more of the film if you don't like the writing or direction? Landis can go fall in a swamp for other reasons, obviously.

Ah. Landis writes decent stuff once in a while, but he is an rear end and that won't change. The movie has faults, I never said it was a perfect movie. It's a silly cop buddy movie with fantasy characters, I liked the universe in it and felt very interesting, and like many other I would like to see more of it...because, who doesn't want to see a centaur cop, or dwarves doing BBQs in Florida?. I disliked that the female character was nearly a silent waifu pillow, that's something I want to see changed, give more personality to the ladies, come on! And it would be nice if they gave the direction reigns to another person to see what they can bring to the table.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the movie and the way it handled prejudice against outsiders, especially now that the media is over-saturated with discussions on racism.

Elves are the jews obviously, and thats why the movie got bad reviews lol.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I didn't really dig the movie overall, but I want to reiterate that the gas station shootout with the car stuck in the mini-mart is a legit great concept for an action set piece, it's just edited super clunky and doesn't take advantage of the situation as well as it could have. The entire time I was watching it, it felt like something you'd see in a Shane Black script - only it would have been handled waaaay better with Shane Black behind the camera.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I just read the screenplay and I think the filmed rewrite was better. The script felt like it was trying to be A David Ayer Film. The film knew it was goofy and ran with it. Jakoby and Ward were way more likeable and the part where Ward & Jakoby are talking to the elf FBI in the hospital was one of my fave parts and a way better ending than the script. I'll be interested to see what another writer does to the sequel.

Tears for Fears
Aug 26, 2005

by Smythe

Roman posted:

I just read the screenplay and I think the filmed rewrite was better. The script felt like it was trying to be A David Ayer Film. The film knew it was goofy and ran with it. Jakoby and Ward were way more likeable and the part where Ward & Jakoby are talking to the elf FBI in the hospital was one of my fave parts and a way better ending than the script. I'll be interested to see what another writer does to the sequel.

If they’re smart they’ll get Landis back for another one. He’s a decent writer and had a huge hand in what this movie was.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Tears for Fears posted:

If they’re smart they’ll get Landis back for another one. He’s a decent writer and had a huge hand in what this movie was.

He should keep his hands out of things for a while

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tears for Fears posted:

Didn't he say they completely rewrote his script?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

A fair amount got changed but the setting and the backbone of the plot are mostly as Landis wrote them, you can actually go read his script if you want to see what it looked like:

I'm looking for a copy of the original 2015 spec screenplay but here's a copy of the 02/29/16 version of the script after it had been revised by Ayer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7h1yix9tlg1w6l/BRIGHT_1.pdf?dl=0

A brief list of differences from the filmed version:
Will Smith's character is a white dude. His wife is a stripper, the daughter isn't his but he's raising her anyway
Elftown isn't mentioned at all
We briefly see a bunch of other races (ogre, dwarf, lizardman) but no centaurs or dragon
The guys hunting them down are paramilitary humans and not evil elves
The leader of the Latino gang isn't in a wheelchair
The dirty cops "know a guy" who can use the wand
The wand's "owner" is a freaky human witch and not an elf. There's no "They need 3 wands to bring back the Dark Lord" stuff. Anyone can touch the wand without it exploding.
The hobo with the sword makes a prediction to Ward that "33 seconds will be your reward", in the end the Feds get a 33 second recording that exonerates Ward and proves that the cops he shot were dirty. The hobo isn't a member of the Shield Of Light
Racism between humans still exists, Rodriguez says "Mexicans still get poo poo for the Alamo"
Regular humans can also use wands if they've studied for years. Ward isn't a Bright.
There's no titty bar shootout
Jakoby realises that it's an insane coincidence that the Orc he helped escape just happened to be in the right place to save their lives, he guesses that this is evidence that they're in a prophecy
Jakoby doesn't die and get resurrected by the wand, he just gets hosed up really badly and healed
Ward actually chose to have Jakoby as a partner, there's no "look of pure hatred" scene
Tikka (elf girl) was being trained to fight the Dark Lord, the witch attacks their secret base and accidentally leaves the wand behind

Edit: okay, apparently this was the original script: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8f8GCZAhRX_WVBGXy1XSkdJZ1U/view
It's pretty much the same as the 02/29/16 Ayer revisions except the two protagonists leave the Sherrif's deputy to deal with the hobo with the sword instead of arresting him themselves and the Feds had a lizardman agent called Louis Lapaglia they speak to on the phone and a few other minor changes. Jakoby chose Alvins/Ward as his partner and not the other way around.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
That line "Mexicans still get poo poo in for the Alamo" is in the final film tho.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The original script sounds better. It's like netflix had to cheapen it up to bring it down to netflix quality.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

He fluctuated wildly between "this movie is my Star Wars" and "I had almost nothing to do with this movie" depending on what the pre-release buzz was at the time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Orc Cop rap!
https://soundcloud.com/mastaartisan/orc-cop-right-movie-theme-parody/

Written for this review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOxQxMnEz8
I love how she spends the entire video making GBS threads on the writing but never speaks Max Landis' name out loud or even acknowledges his existence. :v:

She also picks apart the worldbuilding in the movie brick by brick to show how it was incredibly lazy and points out how movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and even District 9 and Alien Nation did it better

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lindsay Ellis is a smart lady and I admire her analytical skillz.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I find her voice grating.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm a fan of Lindsay Ellis but I'm not sure she's going to convince me that there's such a thing as "lazy worldbuilding" (as opposed to hardworking worldbuilding? strict worldbuilding?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Orc Cop rap!
https://soundcloud.com/mastaartisan/orc-cop-right-movie-theme-parody/

Written for this review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOxQxMnEz8
I love how she spends the entire video making GBS threads on the writing but never speaks Max Landis' name out loud or even acknowledges his existence. :v:

She also picks apart the worldbuilding in the movie brick by brick to show how it was incredibly lazy and points out how movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and even District 9 and Alien Nation did it better
I feel like a wee bit of this is a wee bit too nitpicky because...well, even though the worldbuilding is in fact kinda weird and makes no sense, this is really only a noticeable problem because the rest of the film isn't compelling or well-written enough to distract from that sort of thing. By which I mean, no one would really give a crap about out-of-place Shrek jokes if only the story surrounding that joke was less balls.

To that end, I did appreciate the parts of the review that went in-depth about just why exactly this film was so...hard to like. I mean, basically the first thing our hero even does is to slaughter an animal.

• Locked thread