Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
15 minute fight scene at the end of drunken master II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Jurassic Park, where the is T rex breaking out and wrecking the trucks holds up very well. Close second being the velociraptor scene in the kitchen

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

i can see it.. fairly Epic

It's possibly the most literally epic thing ever put to screen. A cosmic struggle between the forces of good and evil with the ugliness of humanity caught in between, incarnated on Earth as a three-way Mexican standoff in the middle of a desert cemetery in the American West, amidst the senseless carnage of one of humanity's perennial civil wars. The participants are encompassed on all sides by the souls of the dead, awaiting the outcome of the contest. Ennio Morricone's operatic score heightens this almost religious sense that in this trifling showdown over a stash of buried gold is somehow caught up the fate of the entire human race. In the dramatic resolution to the stand-off, ugly humanity ultimately sides with good over evil, even if just for its own preservation. Evil is vanquished. Humanity nonetheless clings to its abiding greed. The films ends with the avatar of good slipping the noose around a deserving humanity's neck, only to spare it at the very last moment, its reasons for this act of divine mercy remaining forever enigmatic as it rides off to merge with the horizon.

Jesus Christ it's good.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Cnut the Great posted:

It's possibly the most literally epic thing ever put to screen. A cosmic struggle between the forces of good and evil with the ugliness of humanity caught in between, incarnated on Earth as a three-way Mexican standoff in the middle of a desert cemetery in the American West, amidst the senseless carnage of one of humanity's perennial civil wars. The participants are encompassed on all sides by the souls of the dead, awaiting the outcome of the contest. Ennio Morricone's operatic score heightens this almost religious sense that in this trifling showdown over a stash of buried gold is somehow caught up the fate of the entire human race. In the dramatic resolution to the stand-off, ugly humanity ultimately sides with good over evil, even if just for its own preservation. Evil is vanquished. Humanity nonetheless clings to its abiding greed. The films ends with the avatar of good slipping the noose around a deserving humanity's neck, only to spare it at the very last moment, its reasons for this act of divine mercy remaining forever enigmatic as it rides off to merge with the horizon.

Jesus Christ it's good.

owns

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dDBAiq4RFE

best movie ever too

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

somuch_gravy posted:

get a load of janus films over here :smug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Maya Fey posted:

that has to be the most effort put into lip sync ever

It was. They actually had to play the music in slow motion, and they filmed at 12fps instead of 24fps, because it was literally impossible for the puppeteers and hydraulic operators to move quickly enough to get the lips to sync.

Scenes with Moranis and the plant at the same time required Moranis to actually move and sing in slow motion in real life.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The scene in swordfish where huge jackman has to hack a computer with a gun to his head while getting a bj

Oh wait no the one with halle berry's tits

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The scene in swordfish where huge jackman has to hack a computer with a gun to his head while getting a bj

Oh wait no the one with halle berry's tits

its very aggravating to me that halle berry is 50 year s old

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The dancing scene in Clerks 2

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

A few good ones:

The basement bar scene in Inglorious Bastards.

The encounter between Jake, Elwood, and Princess Leia in the sewer tunnel.

Captain Spaulding needs a vehicle.

Edit: "Try not to suck any dicks on your way across the parking lot!"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Boogie Nights was pretty goofy and dumb but the whole scene with Alfred Molina as the coke dealer is a crazy rear end movie in itself
I still kind of cringe when I hear Sister Christian, expecting firecrackers.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Navin Johnson posted:

The basement bar scene in Inglorious Bastards.

redeems the entire movie

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

The fight scene in "They Live". In fact many scenes from that movie.

Speaking of Carpenter: "I have a message for you. Pray for death." Also I can never get past Michael Myers wearing a sheet and sunglasses.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Maya Fey posted:

its very aggravating to me that halle berry is 50 year s old

She looked amazing in Kingsman. Older the bear the sweeter the juice

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Navin Johnson posted:

The fight scene in "They Live". In fact many scenes from that movie.

i was watching this earlier today. the Pushy Sunglasses Salesman scene

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Kuato posted:

She looked amazing in Kingsman. Older the bear the sweeter the juice

shes the good kind of freak

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Navin Johnson posted:

Captain Spaulding needs a vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3zHiWdtcnE

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It was a really boring movie, but the plane rescue scene from Superman Returns is the best scene from any superhero movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyI7W_EMZiw

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Maya Fey posted:

redeems the entire movie

That is one loooooooooong scene!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
HEINEKEN? PABST. BLUE. RIBBON.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Any number of scenes from The Fifth Element.

AZIZ, LIGHT
*3d prints a person*
GIMME THE CASH
...You are fired!
Police at future mcdonalds
ZF-1 demonstration
Multipass
Ruby Rap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9OBbsLYGOE

This is still really cool and the music absolutely makes it.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

THANKS!
Don't forget to contribute to his next movie
https://www.gofundme.com/twisted-neil-breen-film

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Navin Johnson posted:

That is one loooooooooong scene!

the german (?) actor is so good

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

r u ready to WALK posted:

All the long take stuff from children of men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjFHqohaHYU

hell yeah

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I73sP93-0xA

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Cameron's work before he had a loving stroke or whatever.

Both are filled with amazing scenes, but obviously the buildup to the finale makes the final showdowns epic

Terminator 2: Final smelting facility showdown

Aliens: Ripley's descent to rescue newt

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i like the bar scene from good-will hunting. i also like that part in fargo when the little con man gets woodchipped by the big con man.

i also like the scene in "A Beautiful Mind" where nash is chasing pigeons around

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FscKSB7Hh_w

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHaarxQTFk

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

When Sam Jackson rapes the Confederate in The Hateful Eight

E: real answer is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5K3AKl5qpc

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 24, 2017

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXHRX8Q2hs

e: The comments section naturally adds an extra dimension to things.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The first big scene in Deep Throat. Alternately the coca cola scene.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
The Phantom menace

When jar jar tries to eat that frog thing

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

The Phantom menace

When jar jar tries to eat that frog thing

The Duel of the Fates is unironically one of the greatest sequences in cinema history, for similar reasons as the Mexican stand-off at the end of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, which I rank it right up beside. The combination of epic allegory, evocative musical score, powerful sound design, and otherworldly visuals come together to create what is arguably the purest and most potent demonstration of space opera ever put to screen. It's right up there with Luke's final approach to the exhaust port in A New Hope, Luke swinging across the bottomless pit with the princess, and Luke's final rage-filled assault on Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi.

The influence of Leone is itself palpably recognizable particularly in this series of shots right here, but like the work of all great rip-off artists is executed so masterfully that it can only be praised as brilliant homage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IezQw6dJs4I&t=60s

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cnut the Great posted:

The Duel of the Fates is unironically one of the greatest sequences in cinema history, for similar reasons as the Mexican stand-off at the end of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, which I rank it right up beside. The combination of epic allegory, evocative musical score, powerful sound design, and otherworldly visuals come together to create what is arguably the purest and most potent demonstration of space opera ever put to screen. It's right up there with Luke's final approach to the exhaust port in A New Hope, Luke swinging across the bottomless pit with the princess, and Luke's final rage-filled assault on Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi.

This was your worst post ever. Just so you know. Usually, you are a good poster. But this post? This is pretty bad.

Let me break it down for you:

You said part of TPM is one of the greatest sequences in cinema history.

I had to look up what you were talking about because it is so not regarded as a great sequence. GBU face off, yes is great. But your post was the opposite. In fact, I would go so far as to say your post is the duel of the fates of GBS.

I think you probably like TPM. And that is pretty sad.

---

A great movie, scene btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-sfrQnwwg

Spoilers: Bad guy makes you feel bad for him.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

This was your worst post ever. Just so you know. Usually, you are a good poster. But this post? This is pretty bad.

I had to look up what you were talking about because it is so not regarded as a great sequence. GBU face off, yes is great. But your post was the opposite. In fact, I would go so far as to say your post is the duel of the fates of GBS.

---

i wouldn’t praise it to the degree he did but he’s right about that sequence being one of the most Space Opera things ever put to film

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 24, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

---

If my earlier posts were so good and on point, maybe that's an indication that you should reconsider your purely reflexive dismissal, rather than an indication that I suddenly and inexplicably have no idea what I'm talking about?

In terms of pure cinematic craft, the Duel of the Fates is on par with the Mexican stand-off in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. The framing, the editing, the use of color, of sound, of music, the tempo of the action, the rhythm of the choreography, the mythopoetic and thematic undercurrents--everything is about it is sublimely well-executed. Just because something goes against the received opinion of the self-proclaimed critical intellegentsia and legions of butthurt fanboys on the Internet doesn't make it any less true. That said, the Duel of the Fates is actually quite commonly regarded as a great scene in an otherwise disappointing movie, so I don't know where you're getting the idea that it isn't.

I don't want to derail this thread, though.

edit: If we're taking about Fritz Lang, this is of course the obvious contender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0D4fHieW8o

It's another sequence whose power is derived almost entirely through the power of images, editing, and music.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It all depends on the film. Should I make a supercut:

Ravenous: "You know, it's not courage to resist me, Boyd."
Where the Wild things Are: "That was my favorite arm."
Jumanji: "What do you want? I've never shaved before."
The Last Unicorn: "For nothing makes me... happy... but their shining, and their grace."
The Thing: Tabletop mouth.
Dark Star: "The Captain always was lucky."
Puss in Boots: "I was always there...."
Toy Story: "Why would Andy want me... when he's got you."
The Book of Life: "But I use my final breath, to tell you that I'm sorry--"
Rango: Crossing the road.
Once Upon a Forest: Gas leak burrow.
The Brave Little Toaster: "I'm not an invalid!! IT'S MY FUNCTION!!!"
Cinderella [2015]: "I forgive you."
Attack the Block: "... You look older."
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: Belt protection.
Mad Max: Fury Road: Anything with the Bullet Farmer's totally insane tank thing.
Tusk: Dinner table.
Toys: "I said 'frag me!'"
The Skeleton Twins: Peaking in high-school.
The Fly [1980s]: Insect politicians.