Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Got into this series because my wota friends kept singing Shiny Days at karaoke and spinning it at their DJ nights, breaking UOs and laying down orange penlights during the chorus to simulate a campfire, complete with cups of currymen and marshmallows. One even posted a video of himself and his friends breaking mega UOs with marshmallows on them at Asaka’s concert at AB last year.

It seemed super cute, so I dusted off my Crunchyroll account and binged it earlier this year. Wasn’t a mistake. Then Cruchy marathoned it on Twitch a couple months back and I caught a couple go arounds of the series because it was so comf.

Got me interested in possibly going camping, and I asked my cousin if I could join him in his next outing at Lake George, but that won’t be for a couple of months, and I still need to get a bunch of gear for myself. And money I’m spending on gear is money I’m not spending on merch, like the Nadeshiko nesoberis I’m seeing on eBay. Holding out for a Rin or an Ena or Inuyama one though.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Agronox posted:

JC!

Actually, I just moved out today. They wanted to jack up the rent a bit too much.

Huh, my brother rents on the Jersey City waterfront, and I’m just over Kill Van Kull in Staten Island (and it sucks living here without a car because the MTA can’t be assed).

V nice job!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Been collecting, now I need to find either a ShimaRin neso or Nendo for cheap.

Also, an acquaintance has been to see Asaka in concert at cons at least 3 times this year, the latest at AniRevo in Vancouver next weekend, and does UO campfires every time he’s able to during Shiny Days. Wish I could afford that.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

tsob posted:

What does that even mean? :confused:

We make campfires with UOs. Probably easier just for me to link a video.

http://twitter.com/anisongparty/status/1145231784726138880

This was from an Anikura event in Queens I went to two months ago, the guy who I mentioned in somewhere in that pile. I even brought a Maruchan curry cup ramen to “cook” on top of the campfire, and the DJ has a full sized curry cup ramen costume he sometimes brings out for these events. Other friends sometimes even bring marshmallows, stick them on their UOs, and “roast” them.

Also, I found a ShimaRin neso on eBay, but for $40. I think I’m probably gonna pony up for it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 5, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is UO just a fancy word for glowstick or are they something else entirely?

UO = Ultra Orange, a particularly bright glow stick that burns out within minutes, made by Lumica. Particularly famous for turning entire arenas orange when busted out for the climax of Snow Halation by Muse of Love Live fame.

Generally adopted by wotas and anikura fans for their wazas and hype songs and poo poo. In addition to wazas in general, things like Shiny Days campfires and UO kanpais (breaking a UO, dropping it into your drink, yelling kanpai! aka “cheers!” in Japanese, then downing your drink) are some of the more well known uses of UOs to the best of my knowledge from wota friends.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 5, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

tsob posted:

There is just so much new terminology in this post. The jargon, along the mention of a DJ wearing a ramen suit for events that happen fairly regularly make me wonder just how big Yurucamp and anime parties of this kind are in America.

lol, sorry. Wota = idol otaku, which is pretty much self explanatory. Anikura = Anime (dance) club, aka events where you go and dance and poo poo to anime music; anisong = anime songs; waza means something like “move” as in a technique, and is what wotas do to anisong with their penlights and glow sticks, all of which have their own names (OAD, Romance, PPPH, Amaterasu, Thunder Snake), penlights and glow sticks are sometimes called cyalumes, etc etc.

As for the DJ, he and his group, Aniparty, are based here on the East Coast (MD, VA, NJ, NY, CT) and they’ve been hired by Lumica repeatedly over the past year and a half or so to do events at their booth at cons, in order to sell more glow sticks. Basically, they wanted to emulate the Akiba club mogra, which has a bunch of well known DJs and is known for mixing anisong every weekend, which is streamed on Twitch.

Shiny Days is a staple song at Aniparty events, as is a bunch of Love Live, idolm@s, Bandori, Revue Starlight (nowadays), Hamtaro (yes, you heard me), only my railgun, Rising Hope, Maware, the Da Pump song USA, and other anime OPs and EDs. If you’ve ever seen a video of a guy twirling an umbrella with UOs attached to them while other people spin in a circle around him, then you know the waza for the song Maware, and have met one of the regulars at these events.

They’ve done a bunch of cons for Lumica, including AX, AnimeNYC, Anime Central, Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta, Anime Boston, Kawaii-Con in Honolulu, and smaller ones like ToraCon at RIT, Toronto International Fan Festival, etc. I first met them attending Love Live concert delayed viewings here in NY, and they’ve done like 5 events total in Baltimore and NY in the year and a half or so that they’ve been active, plus a collab event or two with a anisong DJ group in Toronto called AniMaple. Decent attendance, and they stream their events on Twitch, but the VoDs don’t last long due to copyright claims and the like.

Another friend I’ve met through DVs went to the Asaka concert at Anime Boston , and that was where I first learned about UO marshmallows, when he broke them out as she was singing Shiny Days. I first learned about UO campfires when said friends started doing them at karaoke, and I fell into Yuru Camp as a result.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 5, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is it??

That is definitely the most interesting way to get into yurucamp I've ever heard though, drat.

Yeah, I kept hearing the song at their events and karaoke, and I figured I might as well check out the anime that it was from. Comf ensued, and now I’m collecting the manga and looking for a ShimaRin neso. I had just gotten my Crunchyroll account sorted right before I decided to check it out, so it was easy to watch.

And yeah, wota = idol otaku should be easy enough to understand. They’re fans (otaku) of idol groups, including anisong singers and groups based in anime, even if those technically aren’t actually idols. Really started springing up in numbers once the 48/46 groups started making it big in Japan, and when anisong started being a larger thing following Haruhi, then hopped the Pacific over to the US, albeit it being smaller over here. In Japan, there are whole music festivals attended almost entirely by wota, like Animelo Summer Festival and the like.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 5, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Oh, I was saying that the term “idol otaku” should be easily understood, not that wota should be easily understood to mean idol otaku, my bad.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

MJP posted:

I think you're going to events that are run by my buddies Victor and Alvin. They're really great guys and are so hardcore into what they do, it's admirable. Not my cup of tea to do but every party they throw has people having the time of their lives that I can't help but be happy for them and the attendees.

Although when you say "breaking a UO into a drink" you're just activating the lightstick, right? Not pouring the stuff into the drink itself, I hope?

I know Victor and Alvin as DJs Appare and Pleasant, so yeah, that’s them. Met them a bunch at their events and cons and DVs, I’m in their Discord as well, and they are really cool people. Alvin’s the one with the currymen outfit.

And yeah, the UO kanpai just has you activating it before dropping it in your drink; I’ve usually heard the term “breaking” or “popping” a UO or glow sticks in general as doing so. I really wouldn’t want to drink whatever chem mix is in that thing, and neither should anyone else.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Located a ShimaRin neso for my collection, courtesy of a guy from a Discord server I’m on. Little disappointed she’s a bit smaller than my other ones, but it’s a pretty good likeness.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yuru Camp is getting a live action series in January, which looks interesting.

Also, I picked this up last minute as I was clearing the show floor at AnimeNYC:

Was too busy working the con to get in on a couple of UO campfires at Lumica and at the official afterparty, but I guess I’ll get my fix next month at the next Aniparty.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

I can't wait for live-action Hover-tent, myself.

Does this count?
https://twitter.com/sengodebu/status/1196954780377042944

Stelas posted:

If it's your sort of thing there's an official 8-bit soundtrack coming out in a fortnight. I am not exactly sure who asked for this.

Huh, that explains the 8-bit version of Shiny Days that Aniparty played at their last show around Halloween in Baltimore. UO campfire still happened, natch, but it was stuffed into a jack-o-lantern this time.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 22, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Anyone want to buy a branded ShimaRin wood hatchet for $150?

Or her scarf? The latter finally got me to make an Amiami account.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Daedalus1134 posted:

That’s the second run of that scarf, I’ve taken it to Mt Rainier a few times now. Holds up well, but it's pretty thin material unless you wrap it multiple times.

Good to know, I’ll keep that in mind once I receive it. Shouldn’t be too bad with our NY winters here, though I can always double up with the scarf I currently use if it comes down to it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Revolver Bunker posted:

I bought the scarf from the first run and second run. I think this is the third? It's useful and long enough to wrap around and be warm. There's also her knit cap on amiami as well.

Good to know, I just paid the Amiami order earlier this week, now to wait a month for it to get here from Japan.

These are amazing, and will tide me over until next year when season 2 happens.

Brought my ShimaRin neso and a cup of currymen to another Anisong DJ event run by MJP’s (and my) DJ buddies in Queens this weekend, but Shiny Days didn’t get played unfortunately. They had a Japanese DJ known for playing mogra as a guest DJ, and DJ Hitomi (aka DJ Shawty)’s set was fire, a good time was had even if I fell down during the second Maware circle of the night and scraped up my right arm something fierce, when we tried to get too many people into the circle in such a small space.

Maware is kinda a cursed song for me, since I slipped and fell due to a wet floor during another rendition at their 3rd DJ event on Staten Island. Oh well, so much fun had, and I still like the song. Couple of really fun (and hazukashi, especially in front of DJ Hitomi) moments in there too, which you would expect from a room full of weebs going hard to animu music. Finished off the night with the Jam Project rendition of Snow Halation with people passing out UOs to make sure everyone attending had at least one, and the synchronized break had the amount of normies filtering into the bar amazed and taking videos of the room turning orange.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Preordered. Hopefully shipping options won’t just be DHL when it gets released, whenever that is; friends are having trouble with any other option currently because of the lack of SAL and Japan Post shipping to the US right now.

Now that I have funds due to unemployment coming in and not having anything major to spend it on, I guess I’ll get the other nendos from the series that I saw for sale at my local (but not really, it’s 2 hours by subway away in Queens, but also 3 blocks from my parents’ place and my doctor’s office) animu store, once they open back up after this lockdown, whenever that is.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

starbucks hermit posted:

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1301719152286216199?s=19

Shimarin is getting ANOTHER release, now with her scooter.

...And preordered on CDJapan, hopefully the points I have there should cover it and the massive shipping costs I have to pay now that I can’t slow ship things from Japan because of the travel ban making SAL packet shipping on passenger planes impossible...

Been collecting the manga as it comes out, and it’s really making me anticipate this winter when the new season premiers. Lot of material to adapt and look forward to. Had to buy Volume 9 twice when I accidentally left my first copy on the Express Bus when I was heading to work last week.

They’ve also cast Kurosawa Tomoyo (who I mostly know as Misaki/Michelle from Hello, Happy World in Bandori and Kumiko in Euphonium) as Nadeshiko’s childhood friend who will show up for probably a couple of episodes. Aoi’s sister will probably have a bigger role, but I forget who they had as her seiyuu in her brief appearance in Heya Camp stuffs in Season 1.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Nanigans posted:

This is supposed to come out in February. I just ordered one. <3

Pretty sure I already have this on preorder from either Amiami or CDJapan, I gotta check which one. Thanks for reminding me.

Also, with SAL and EMS shipping down because of Covid lockdowns, shipping be expensive yo, but still worth it. Probably gonna get this from CDJapan, have a bunch of points saved up over there from a big Love Live and Bandori CD order last month.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Relevant Amiami order just came in a month later due to shipping.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

The entire time I was watching I was going “how the hell did Ena know? Did Nadeshiko take a picture and Ena notice them in the background?”

Cue the post credits and she works at a convenience store where Nadeshiko’s mom gabs was a great reveal.

Coaaab posted:

Seriously, the show answering how Ena knew Rin was spying on Nadeshiko, what her job was, and what did Rin's mom look like when she rode in the final minute was amazing(ly efficient).

I knew it was coming because I read the manga (and it was shown as the last couple of pages in a chapter that ended a volume, so it had a similar kind of reveal), but yeah, it was very well done.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Just realized this episode aired on Nadeshiko and Inuyama’s birthday, so that was nice.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is this series primarily focused on fall/winter camping, or does the comic have them doing trips in the spring and summer as well?

Just got to the Lake Yamanaka episodes and it's neat seeing places I've been to. That onsen is indeed very nice and I'm sad I didn't get there until after sunset to get the sweet mountain view while bathing. Maybe if I stayed another day for the bath I wouldn't have taken a tumble down the mountain at highway speeds the next morning.

Hit a patch of gravel on a descent and bad times happened, but I got lucky since my injuries could have been much worse at the speed I was going. The GPS track looks pretty funny, with my heart rate abruptly stopping and the speed slowly picking up again as the ambulance carried me to the hospital.

Pretty sure it’s only fall/winter. The manga is completed and 11 volumes long, but I’ve only read up to volume 9, which is where I think this season of the anime will end.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Do you have a source on this? I haven't heard any such thing.

narm00 posted:

Looking at where things currently stand, volume 11 collects up to chapter 63, but the raws are currently at chapter 69, so it's not finished with 11.

Reallycoolname posted:

The manga is at volume 11 right now but it's most definitely not completed yet.

Derp, sorry about that, I misread the Wikipedia article for the series. My b.

kidcoelacanth posted:

that volume 11 cover is cute as hell though goddang
:agreed: This is cute as gently caress, and I look forward to getting it in English when it does come out over here.

psyer posted:

Sadly it is August 17, 2021 when volume 10 comes out for Yen Press.

https://yenpress.com/9781975316778/laid-back-camp-vol-10/

kidcoelacanth posted:

this is a crime
drat, that sucks. Guess I’ll have to wait to throw money at them and spend it on merch instead.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Greblin posted:

Extra tidbit: The character in the scene they reference is played by the same VA as Saitou Ena.

Yeah, Rie Takahashi is a prolific seiyuu who has been in a ton of good stuff. I mostly know her as Mash from FGO, Emilia from Re:Zero and Megumin from Konosuba.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Whoo, a CDJapan order I’d been waiting a while for arrived last week!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yuru Camp movie confirmed for 2022?
https://twitter.com/yurucamp_anime/status/1377455681163259907

Wasn’t sure if it was legit since April Fool’s, but other places are reporting on it:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-03-31/laid-back-camp-movie-reveals-returning-staff-2022-opening/.171353

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

sb hermit posted:

That is a seriously comfy looking scarf.

Too bad we never hit sweater weather in (southern) California, much less scarves.

It is a very comfy scarf, served me well last winter and if the weather extremes we’ve been having lately hold up, I’m gonna have to break it out sooner rather than later. A friend was wearing one as well one of the last times I was at a large gathering to Covid back in January of last year; I’m really glad I got my hands on one.

My aunt apparently thought it was a gay pride scarf when I first wore it because I guess she didn’t see it well when I had it on and thought anything with varying stripes of color represented that? Yuru Camp certainly has some undertones of that though, but it very much focused on the comf instead.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

sb hermit posted:

without getting too offtopic, I figure gay pride anything would be rainbow colored. But after seeing the lgbt symbols wikipedia page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_symbols

I would probably make the same mistake too, had I not seen this show.

But yeah, the comf is the main idea.
Not to get further into derail, but the aunt who made that comment is an old who isn’t definitely aware of the myriad symbols of the LGBTQ spectrum.

Anyway, looking into getting a Detolf soon so I can finally display all the Yuru Camp nendoroids I’m gonna be getting in the mail soon from Amiami without them getting dusty.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

They call the instant curry "ramen"?? DUB RUINED! :livintrope:

It was instant curry cup noodles, wasn’t it? Ramen would technically be correct in that case, albeit massively incomplete.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 3, 2022

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

If people are gonna be at AnimeNYC in 2 and a half weeks, they’re gonna be screening the Yuru Camp movie on Friday.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AnimeNYC screening had an Apple update notification pop up in the middle of the screen for a bit in the middle of the movie, and when someone eventually went over and clicked out of it, they left the mouse in the middle of the screen for another 5 minutes or so, despite people asking very loudly for the AV people there to move it.

Still, very comf movie.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

i also bought them only because of the show, but now they are my favorite cold weather cup noods

:same:, even if I have another brand of instant ramen that I usually prefer because I grew up eating them

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

sb hermit posted:

it’s good

more compelling than S2 by far

for those who haven’t watched the movie, have no fear and just start S3. You can watch the movie later.

Yeah, the movie is future Outdoor Activities Club getting together after they become adults; this is more manga storyline high school camping. Watching the new season definitely scratched an itch I didn’t know needed scratching after so long, so with this and the new season of Euphonium this year, I think my comf quota will easily be filled for the next couple of months.

I barely remember the overall plan of the chapters that would make up this season in the manga unlike the ones for season 2, but I do remember that Nadeshiko’s friend Ayano is involved. Also, cameo appearance in the OP by two new characters that have only shown up in the last 2 volumes of the manga released in English (4 volumes in Japanese) makes me think they’re gonna be covering more material this season than I thought they would..

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

new euphonium????

Euphonium season 3 starts this Sunday, but apparently some episodes leaked already? I’m not sure from where.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

This week's episode felt really empty for some reason. I know they go low on the background character count anyway but it felt extra lifeless at times. Maybe it's was just the fact that most of the episode took place in the early morning and in a tourist spot in the off-season.

Kinda felt the same thing when I was reading the chapters of the manga that this corresponded to, but it did make me want curry (dam or not), so it got some of its job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Related, Shiny Days continues to be one of the mainstays of anikura, and weebs still go hard over it, as evidenced by this weekend’s Meat Festival (that always has an anikura DJ stage) in Odaiba, to the point where Asaka commented on it (she also mentions kaigai, which is probably in part due to the fact that me and my friends did a campfire when she sang Shiny Days at AWA last October).
https://x.com/AsakaOfficial/status/1785318259069489536