Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

ElMaligno posted:

The San Francisco bay area has a lot of camping opportunities. This is Mt Diablo at the day i arrived.

It got real foggy, real cold, really quick during the night.

Still foggy as poo poo the next morning

Oh did I mention it was my first camping trip ever? It was actually fun!

Good!
I'm glad this is getting more people camping! (Assuming you went because of this?

More people camping is good no matter what.)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I looked it up too, it looks very cool but not worth it esp. if you're shipping from JP to US. There was some discussion of camping gear economics in the general daily life thread.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I know that feel, friend.

Totally get that snow peak gear though.
... actually, you got a link?
E: poo poo

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

T_T YOU GET ME, RODENTHAR https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-Hotlips-Titanium-Mug/dp/B0038PFCOI

I really don't need it, I really don't need it, I really don't need it...

Suuuuuper boutique is right. I'm looking at their youtube page linked from their website, and they have entire wood stoves with smokestacks coming out the top of their tents. Like, the kind of stuff I'd expect to see in an L.L. Bean catalog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMD_boi3HF8

But hey, if it gets people responsibly camping.... :shrug:

I mean I've been using this cheap plastic mug to pour stuff in...
NOOOOOOO

Also yeah, I checked out all their products when I read the manga. The B-6 Boy is pretty sweet, and also coming from a machinist family (i got out of the business while still a "machine operator", hadn't earned my wingscalipers yet) it seems fairly easy to make with proper planning and patterning. The hardest bit would be the joints but even then it shouldn't be too bad. Get the holes in the right place though!
(Memories :negative: )

But even then that's a lot of time spent on something and if you spend so much time on it ... would the cost of just paying the guy with the tooling set to do it be worth not spending however many hours planning (and likely troubleshooting) this?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

This is awesome.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

AnacondaHL posted:

eh, imho I hated cooking with those solid fuel tablets and mini folding stoves. I recommend just spending the extra money and carry weight on an isobutane tank with a mini stovetop for the convenience and satisfying usability, and only use solid fuel tablets in backup emergencies.

This.
My teensy snow peak weighs almost nothing, it's just the weight of fuel.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It's almost always just no open fires, not no cooking.
Take the Channel Islands National Park. It is extremely susceptible to fire, being islands with a decent bit of dry brush, high winds, and no firefighting capabilities outside of fire extinguishers. They still let you cook with stoves - almost everywhere will.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
If alpha wasn't the closest thing I have to a waifu I would have one of those faces as my AV.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Hello :3:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A wire coat hangar I use for tying split logs together.
That's a great idea.
Going to a cabin in Shenandoah next weekend, will send pics.
Not camping, but hiking will be great.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Post more dog.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It's a joke based on a line from the manga, not another actual anime.
While not outdoorsy, check out Sweetness and Lightning for super comfy and feels, and this season's Hakumei to Mikochi for maximum comfy.

(Flying Witch is also super comfy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....I can't be mad at more people going camping. Especially not when it's the stereotypically-fastidious Japanese, or, for that matter, someone on the opposite side of the globe. Go camp, you otaku! Broaden your horizons! Become a multi-faceted person!

That said, I have been getting deep into asian camping stoves. Like, there is this entire segment of camping that's completely foreign to western camping, with the gas bottles and the fully self-enclosed tents and emphasis on lightness and melting nylon that you don't have in Asia. There's an entire culture that revolves around camps you bring your heating into, like... well. Yurts.

Like how Grandpa camps, with the center-pole tent.

I, too, have seen the blazing camp furnaces of the carbound Japanese camper and been tempted. But i have yet to be tricked into spending money on being ... *hiss* ... more comfortable than I need to.

Edit: for real though, anyone bought one of those stoves? That's a lot more wood than my west-coast self can muster, but it looks so comfy.