Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My pals and I are hoping to do a backwoods camping trip in the spring because we want dark skies and wide open spaces with nobody around for hundreds of kilometers. Decided to start watching this to get in the mood and while I'm just a couple episodes into the first season it's making me super nostalgic for when I cycled across Japan.

My original plan was to travel north from Kyoto through the alps to Nikko and down to Tokyo, but I underestimated how much slower the climbs would be so I took the Tokaido route to Tokyo instead. I'm thinking whenever I can do it again I'll start from Kyoto and do the mountain route, but I really wanna ride the Shimanami Kaido again.

It's the most fun I've had in my life and Japan is easy modo for cycle touring and camping while still being absolutely beautiful. I got so many stories from it and made friends with tons of awesome, awesome people along the way, like the other cyclist who was always just a day or two ahead of me or vice-versa that I sorta noticed from guest books and the like, who completely coincidentally stayed at my place when she was riding across Canada a month or two later.

Now I'm worried that when I finish the series I'll start looking at plane tickets again, since that's exactly what happened when I finished watching Long Riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is this series primarily focused on fall/winter camping, or does the comic have them doing trips in the spring and summer as well?

Just got to the Lake Yamanaka episodes and it's neat seeing places I've been to. That onsen is indeed very nice and I'm sad I didn't get there until after sunset to get the sweet mountain view while bathing. Maybe if I stayed another day for the bath I wouldn't have taken a tumble down the mountain at highway speeds the next morning.

Hit a patch of gravel on a descent and bad times happened, but I got lucky since my injuries could have been much worse at the speed I was going. The GPS track looks pretty funny, with my heart rate abruptly stopping and the speed slowly picking up again as the ambulance carried me to the hospital.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

You should go camping imo

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The 4WD in my truck is acting up so I might have to put my backwoods trip later this month on hold because I don't want to end up stuck in the middle of nowhere with an overheating transfer case. I might go to some crown land that's a little closer to because I want to take advantage of the good weather that's coming, but I was really looking forward to some pitch black skies to do some astronomy.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

They could have at least turned on the 3D buildings option to add some depth in the z dimension