Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
That Greek kid will be the next Koscielny.

Probably means Mustafi is going though.

I see Coutinho has Transferitis again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Barkley is just the new Ross Turnbull as far as Chelsea are concerned.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Why is everyone expecting Liverpool to spend the entire Coutinho fee on players when they already spunked more than half of it on VVD?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

blue footed boobie posted:

For Italian stuff, yeah. But he’s not particularly good outside of Italy.

Seems like Sanchez to City for a fee in this area is definitely happening, though. I just hope Wengy wraps it up soon so that Arsenal can get some players in.

Arsenal won’t buy anyone of note this window I think, the plan now is limp through the league, try and win the europa league, massive rebuilding job in summer (please god Wenger retire and let the new guys plus new manager do the rebuild - he’s going to sign Fellaini on a loving free isn’t he).

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don’t think they really have a choice about signing new players. The squad is bad, and there are so many players with contracts expiring in the next year that they couldn’t really do a rebuild in one summer.

I’m starting to hope that the club is actually preparing for life after Wengy. They hired a “director of football relations” and “head of recruitment,” titles that sound like they’re actually trying to have some frame work in place outside of Wengy. Wengy didn’t seem too happy about the hiring of either of them, too.

New players will come in but just no players of note. So far a Greek defender he has sent out on loan (more fear about him not retiring) and he’s linked with some Boca Juniors 21 year old Argentine attacker.

He will probably buy at least one more but what the team needs now is either a complete overhaul with the stated plan of ‘here is the new manager, he has a three year contract, this is the recruitment and tactical philosophy’ or if Wenger stays he needs to identify what needs replacing (the only irreplaceable members of the starting XI want to leave anyway lol) and buy proven quality regardless of price.

I’d say the next two windows require the acquisition of a top class first choice goalkeeper, at least one centre half, a defensive mid, two creative attacking players. Buying halfway decent players on that shopping list in this market will come up to £200m which I can’t see Wenger accepting.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Libertine posted:

Arsenal need about 4-5 new first team and 4-5 new second team players all across the pitch. Their team has just stagnated for so long with lack of transfer moves. Meanwhile, what should be their competition has been in for transfer activity in the hundreds of millions. Arsenal were 15th out of 20 EPL teams in transfer spending this summer, that's straight up indefensible for a big club with as many depth problems as they have. They continue to be one of the highest revenue teams in the league and they just sit on it non-stop while their ownership and management refuse to make competitive bids for star players. It's honestly disgusting.

This is correct. Kroenke is happy to keep the status quo forever, Wenger needs to fall on his sword. I’m sure they would commit to massive spending if a candidate they really wanted asked for it.

It’s been a long time since I was this depressed as a football fan: don’t get me wrong a lot of clubs have it worse than Arsenal by far but it’s just the Groundhog Day comedy of errors that has been repeating for half a decade at this point. No-one except Wenger has genuinely believed we can win major honours, and that includes the season loving Leicester won the league.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The FA cup is not a major trophy :colbert:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Football dying has demoted all trophies bar the Champions League, the World Cup, the Premier League and Liga, and the Ballon D'Or to minor trophy status I guess. Rip.

I wish I the FA Cup was a major trophy but we only have to look at the calibre of finalists prior to last year. Hardly the grandiose spectacle it used to be.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I think one issue with scheduling is that some teams are getting more rest between matches at Christmas than their opposition in the next match, when all their fixtures are league games. Wenger moaned about West Brom having an extra two days between games before they played Arsenal who only had three days between games. I would argue it’s a fair point to suggest the league ensures both teams have an equal amount of rest (up to a point) before playing each other, not just in the interest of fairness but also in terms of ensuring decent games.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shrapnig posted:

United have apparently put in a £25m bid for Alexis.

His motivation is to win major honours so doubt he’ll be going there somehow :allears:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

greazeball posted:

Everybody should, what squad wouldn't he improve and what better player could anyone get for that price? And you destabilise Arsenal while driving up the price for City.

It’s probably more destabilising for Arsenal to keep hold of these wantaway players that are running their contracts down rather than selling them and being forced to buy replacements.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The kid was scouted by the new guy rather than Wenger? That’s very promising.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
To be fair the way Wenger is doing things at the moment the new guy could bring in Lionel Messi’s regen and Wenger would still ruin him.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Liverpool now in for Sanchez according to the papers. Papers also claiming Sanchez now favours United move :psyduck:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
That flip flopping journo on Twitter will feel a right nana.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vegetable posted:

Alexis would fit in great at Liverpool imo

Sign another attacker they don’t actually need who gives the ball away 30 times a game for their leaky defence to cope with, sign him up!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Playing Alexis is a Faustian pact whereby you put up with his selfishness and lax retention of possession in the hope that he pulls out a moment of magic.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Apparently if you watch closely he and Ramsey will not pass to each other, not 100% of the time but if they can avoid it they won’t.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sanchez is A Good Player. He seems to be better as a striker than winger at this point in his career, but he would make any team in the PL better.

I’d argue he wouldn’t make Liverpool any better because they don’t need more goals they need less conceding of goals.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is pure fantasy

Auba won’t go to a club in the EL who just sold their best player

Also why would arsenal want another striker when they just paid a fuckton for lacazette and have much larger issues

Two good strikers isn’t a bad plan when you’re struggling to score goals. Midfield is a car crash of course.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I hope Arsenal do sign Auba and a French winger and just concede all the goals

Working for Liverpool.

Regarding the Arsenal midfield problem any other manager would have resolved it but Wenger will have faith in Wilshere even if he has a leg amputated.

A friend of mine who worked on the Pogba reveal video 4 days before it was announced and had to sign a NDA etc is telling me ‘he has a very strong feeling Sánchez to United is already done’ so take from that what you will.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The whole Mike Ashley thing is weird because the longer he leaves it the less the club will be worth, time is literally against him right now. Hanging on for a higher offer while the transfer window shrinks is a dangerous game. So is vomiting in a pub fireplace so what do I know.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Surely the sensible move now is to sell and cut his losses as either scenario will cost him millions?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brony Car posted:

Is Cardiff going to play Grujic? I feel like there’s a decent player there but he’s going stale just training in Melwood.

Not sure how I feel about selling Sturridge at this point. The striking options are bare as is unless Liverpool can get Origi back.

Why keep Sturridge? He will only be crocked in your time of need and doesn’t fit Klopp’s system anyway.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The thing about Theo that always made me lol was he successfully got Wenger to pay him £100,000 a week and he can’t even take his loving man on without reverting to ye olde playground tactic of ‘kick it past the defender and beat him in a foot race’ which is easy to defend against in professional football, funnily enough.

If Allardyce uses him right and his chances come where he doesn’t have enough time to think about what to do he’ll score them a few goals. As good as Mirallas was for them I guess?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
TG:CR - ice burn from Dortmund claiming Wengy hasn’t made a formal approach and it’s disrespectful, maybe he should focus more on his own players.

I’m sure this won’t affect negotiations going forward (that were definitely going to happen honest).

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Paperhouse posted:

How has Aubameyang been doing? He was hot poo poo a couple of years ago and linked with bigger and better clubs than Arsenal

Poor form and badly behaved by all accounts.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Malcom will go to Spurs and be amazing, to be fair even as an Arsenal fan I think right now a young player has got a better chance developing under Pochettino than Wenger :smith:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Everyone is claiming this is some great victory for United but Arsenal wanted Mhiki when United signed him anyway, Sanchez could leave for free in the summer, any amount of money would not be enough to buy a replacement of similar calibre. At least this way he might turn out to be a player of quality United thought they were buying.

Don’t get me wrong losing Sanchez is bad for Arsenal but this is probably better than a straight £20m or whatever.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
For all the mockery of Arsenal (justified) being bad at business with regarding to letting top players end up in this position, why is it not big news that Mata can leave United on a free this summer?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lot 49 posted:

United have their normal one year extension option they can take up whenever.

Also: Sanchez will be a good signing.

Sanchez will be a good signing, although United’s front three are all playing well and only seem to suffer when Pogba isn’t playing (Sanchez isn’t a good replacement for that role) so while he is probably better than any of the front three in any of those positions it’ll be interesting to see if the old adage ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ applies.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
£500,000 a week is basic wage plus image rights and bonuses apparently. It is the after tax figure though.

As for Sanchez being on the same as Ibra, Lukaku and Pogba are on more than Ibra according to the same source. De Bruyne and Aguero also earn more than Ibra.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Is it not Kevin Gameiro?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blinkz0rz posted:

Levy, make some moves...

I predict Levy will be extremely wary of making moves in the new weekly wage paradigm.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
If Arsenal sign Aubameyang and get Özil to commit, especially after that result, things could be looking a lot more rosy than they did at the start of the month. Naturally they’re going to gently caress it all up then get twatted 6-0 in the cup final by a City second string.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

pik_d posted:

They could all just take turns starting from the bench. I'm sure any 3 of those 4 would be a terrifying front 3.

It’s a lot of money to spend when your attack is already deadly on someone who will only play striker and is potentially disruptive. Even the Coutinho issue wouldn’t be solved by bringing in another striker.

Arsenal taking a punt make more sense because last two games aside their attack has been quite blunt this season.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Arsenal’s problems are across the pitch but you can’t deny we haven’t exactly been banging them in for any sustained period this season, the United match being the most acute example of our poor finishing.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Wengy definitely loves a lowball, that’s not to say I don’t think he has had his hands tied in the past but he definitely doesn’t like paying ‘over the odds’ which isn’t a good philosophy in a market that inflated massively every three years.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Does Sturridge actually want to play football?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Was the rumour he was actually injured with the sad brains all false? Like, not Clarke Carlisle style but I heard he had found god and wasn’t interested in football anymore.

• Locked thread