Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ninpo posted:

Barkley's career trajectory has been a peaks and troughs affair, ending ultimately in a downward spiral of continued injuries and never hitting any sort of solid form when he was actually fit.

Maybe my memory is wonky, but didn't Koeman throw Barkley under the bus during press interviews a couple of times too ? If your manager is happy to use you as a scapegoat, it's going to make any player's time at a club pretty miserable.

When I've seen him, I thought he had enough potential to be a good squad player for Chelsea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

tarbrush posted:

Apparently the Coutinho deal has been kind of agreed, £106m up front and £34m in achievable add ons (ie appearances and club trophies rather than Ballon d'Or wins)

And we're apparently now in for Mahrez to replace him.

It's not ideal, but in the circumstances it's probably the best we could have done.

Source? What I've read says that Coutinho still wants to move but that Liverpool are also pretty committed to keeping him to the end of the season. The people who are convinced that a deal has been done (like Balague) are a bit unreliable

Those numbers might to match this Melissa Reddy story, but she's saying that the bid has not been accepted yet. I think if Coutinho has convinced Liverpool that he cannot stay, they will still try to squeeze out a higher offer.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/coutinho-skips-liverpool-trip-as-his-record-transfer-to/m1vocmx26x421jpv1hv1uus0j

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

EvilHawk posted:

We've specifically told Leicester that we're not interested in Mahrez.

I have no idea what's going to happen. All the talk from the Liverpool side is that we're still trying our best to keep hold of him for the rest of the season and we're not really looking at any alternatives. If he goes and we don't bring anyone else in then we've had a shocker.

Do Barcelona really need him right now? Why not hammer out the kind of delayed deal that Liverpool did with Keita? Or loan him back to Liverpool for the rest of the season? I don't know if Barcelona have been open to either of those approaches.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

cheese posted:

My main take away from this is that we didn't get nearly enough for Suarez.

That's why Suarez bit a guy in the World Cup.

Every bite incident was timed with a transfer agitation move. Every fiasco that magically occurred always helped a deal go through.

quote:

We played well enough during his "injury" at the start of the year and the squad feels a lot stronger than it did when Torres or Suarez left. 142m is a lot in a vacuum, but I don't even know what that will get us at this point. Can the Keita deal be pushed up?

I believe that every time Liverpool has brought this up with Leipzig, they told us to gently caress off.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Thats a good deal for Liverpool, but a big shock for their fans who will have to come to grips with the fact that players see their club as a mere stepping stone to bigger, more successful clubs. will they be able to handle it?

I can't. That would mean Liverpool is a small club. Smaller than my waistline. :(

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Wrong thread?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Sandwolf posted:

This is like some of the worst poo poo I've ever seen

Why are we buying Can?

I've been asking myself that quite a lot. He's strong and has a good attitude, but is prone to lapses in defensive concentration and positioning. Despite his faults, he's very versatile, so you can field him as a CB in a back 3, or use him as a box-to-box marauder. He fancies himself as a DM, but he's not disciplined enough to do it very well at Liverpool.

I'm not sure how that works when you translate it all to Serie A.

You might see a lot of this too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6yeWbvgWk

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

tarbrush posted:

We really do need another midfielder in the summer.

You’re going to get a rehabilitated Danny Ings on a new contract and like it.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Speaking of Lazio, it looks like they've signed Caceres from Hellas

https://twitter.com/OfficialSSLazio/status/950339356224638976

There were a lot of teams in Italy that were considering signing him over the summer but were worried about him being insane and injury prone. He's proved himself at Verona even if they're loving garbage, so I'm not really surprised someone made a move. Just a one year contract too, good bit of business.

How many clubs has that guy been with now? His agent must love him.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Slotducks posted:

The clear replacement for Emre Can is Marko Gruijic who has featured for Liverpool in the EPL for a duration of ... 13 minutes? Woof.

Grujic does have smouldering eyes and is even more reckless with his tackling, so this checks out.

In all seriousness, I don't know what the heck Liverpool are going to do with that kid.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ninpo posted:

This is entirely the FA's fault. Scheduling for the Christmas period to now has been loving insane, no wonder reserves are being trotted out for the third round when some teams have played 5 matches since Boxing Day at this point, a lot with only a couple of days between them.

How would you fix it?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Naby K8a is gonna come early.

His poor wife. :(

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Better sign Alisson, who I’m sure all of these posters have definitely seen play and know all about

He has a girl's name. I don't know how I feel about that.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The whole Mike Ashley thing is weird because the longer he leaves it the less the club will be worth, time is literally against him right now. Hanging on for a higher offer while the transfer window shrinks is a dangerous game. So is vomiting in a pub fireplace so what do I know.

Hasn’t he made an absolute fortune being an rear end in a top hat who holds out when everyone tells him to cut his losses? He probably approaches the club like he approaches his other businesses.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Diva Cupcake posted:

He wasn't getting any playing time and Klopp wont let him go back to the Serbian leagues.
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/953637549305626626

Also this...
https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/953633272617029632

Is Cardiff going to play Grujic? I feel like there’s a decent player there but he’s going stale just training in Melwood.

Not sure how I feel about selling Sturridge at this point. The striking options are bare as is unless Liverpool can get Origi back.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Why keep Sturridge? He will only be crocked in your time of need and doesn’t fit Klopp’s system anyway.

There is some truth to that, but wihout him and without Origi, the only non-Firmino option is Danny Ings.

And I don’t see Liverpool being able to buy another good striker this window given the realistic options and FSG’s spending policy.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

I like his effort, but I have my doubts about his finishing. It’s very early days so I don’t think the club should give up on him, but I don’t see him as a viable backup right now.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Seltzer posted:

Who is the Venezuelan that posts here? My team (NYRB) just signed Cristian Cásseres Jr. I was wondering if he knew anything about him.

Are you talking about El Hefe? I don't think he's been able to post for a long time.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I don't like that Arsenal and Manchester United are getting new blood. This window sucks. There is also little to no basis for more cool and funny Liverpool subreddit videos since it looks like Liverpool are not buying anyone in January.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

sebzilla posted:

Apart from van Dijk?

Xabi posted:

He’ll never recover.

The Liverpool subreddit already made tons of Van Dijk hype videos. That's done.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

That was a bit weird.

I wonder if Benitez found himself a new N'Gog.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Big Dan Studge will score tons of goals and do cool dances. :)

But not while wearing a Liverpool kit. :(

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Diva Cupcake posted:

Not sure I see the point in this loan unless it's strictly to be nice to Studge. Leaves Liveropool thin up front for no real benefit.

I think it gets his wages off of Liverpool's books and increased playing time (if he stays fit) makes it easier for him to sell.

I do think it's writing off Top 4 for this season and makes me worried, but I don't own the club.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

fat gay nonce posted:

How on Earth is the most crocked striker in the world going on loan a sign of Liverpool giving up on top 4? How many rubbish sub appearances has he made this year? In what context do you see Sturridge being crucial for this?

Please respond

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. He's scored 2 in 9 in the league this season. I can't remember the last league game he started and he's been shite all season. It does leave us a little light on numbers, but I would rather see some of the young players get a run than Sturridge, who clearly doesn't fit into our system at the moment.

Sturridge is not what he was, but he is still a good finisher. Without him, you drop down to Ings and Solanke if Firmino is not fit. They both work hard and need more game time, but Ings has his own major injury tendencies and Solanke does not seem to know how to finish. Also, from the matches I've seen, Sturridge at least had a decent impact contribution when used as a substitute. From a rotation standpoint, it just seems to be needless weakening of an area that Liverpool does not have a lot of riches in to begin with. Everyone jokes about Klopp running players into the ground, but I do think that explains the big winter dip in form last season.

If we have faith that Ings legs are not going to explode, then maybe I'm just letting Sturridge's past form cloud my perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Diva Cupcake posted:

Loaning Sturridge will not keep Liverpool from top 4; taking on Sturridge will not keep West Brom from relegation. It's just sort of pointless unless it really is to appease him for World Cup consideration.

I'm also thinking about Liverpool's squad numbers dropping while Arsenal and Spurs seem to be bolstering their numbers with good (or at least decent) players.

• Locked thread