Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Akileese posted:

Malcom from Bordeaux?

I think I saw him DJ once...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Manc Hill posted:

OK so the solution to this is to have all the games on at the same time, so reducing the amount of possible televised games by about 90% and the TV money accordingly. Can't see any objections to that.

I think he meant on the same day, rather than at the same time, so they could still televise the same amount of games, maybe with two on at the same time at one point.

The problem is more that there's three rounds of games in less than a week, four in 10 days or so for some teams the way it fell this year. It's great for us watching, but people can'y really complain about rotation around that time, especially when the FA Cup has been do devalued in recent decades.

When Christmas falls in such a way that there is a game right beforehand, maybe they could leave it at two rounds in between Boxing day and the 3rd round.

Moving the Cup to midweek would be a solution, at least for the earlier rounds, but there would be a kick up over that for a while before everyone just got used to it like any other change. Anyone with Europe and a cup run would have some fixture congestion, but that's the price for success I guess.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Manc Hill posted:

The Christmas schedule was clearly altered even more than usual for TV - Sky were running ads in the run up bragging about how they had the most games on TV over Christmas ever this year. Some of the rounds were spread over 4 days with 6 or 7 games shown - there is no way they can fit that into one day without showing them at the same time - which means less viewers. I'm sure even Sky realise that most people will not watch football non-stop from dawn til dusk - better to spread it out over a few days for maximum viewing figures.

The broader point is that if people want a more sensible Christmas schedule, then it surely means less games on TV and therefore less TV money.

It probably would get fewer viewers, but do they really care about that in a one off situation where they're still getting huge audiences anyway? Other than advertisement money (not sure what proportion of Sky/BT's revenue this makes up), it shouldn't affect things that much as people are still paying their subs.

They could definitely have an early game, one at 5.30 and a late one, like that Saturday before Christmas, which is only one game fewer than was on TV out of that round this season. I assume the 3pm blackout in the UK still applies on Boxing Day?

I'm not saying they're going to do this, just an idea that might work.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ninpo posted:

I -think- the 3pm blackout only applies to Saturdays but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if it counts for Boxing Day, but I don't I can remember 3pm games being on UK Tv on that day before. There wasn't any this year, as far as i remember and it was a Tuesday.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ninpo posted:

Cursory Googling only seems to mention Saturdays :shrug:

I think Boxing Day counts as a Saturday in relation to this, as I don't think they've ever shown 3pm kickoffs on that day. Not that I can remember, at least.

I could be wrong, but I would guess the rule is something to do with whenever there's a full round of games throughout the divisions, maybe?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

fat gay nonce posted:

How on Earth is the most crocked striker in the world going on loan a sign of Liverpool giving up on top 4? How many rubbish sub appearances has he made this year? In what context do you see Sturridge being crucial for this?

Please respond

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. He's scored 2 in 9 in the league this season. I can't remember the last league game he started and he's been shite all season. It does leave us a little light on numbers, but I would rather see some of the young players get a run than Sturridge, who clearly doesn't fit into our system at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/6a0dabed-0c97-4e1d-9816-2dbbd04f66ad

Fans getting ahead of themselves...

• Locked thread