Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i destroyed my os drive and lost my hand curated 10 year old foobar profile and ill be hosed if i can remember how to configure the thing any more.

is there anything better for just listening to music and managing a library or am i going to have to spend 2 hours janitoring ui config?

edit: i mean for fucks sake its loaded the library but the artist list is blank even though it has loaded artist info from all the tags, do i really have to go write a regex to parse this poo poo what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

vlc :firstpost:

you could give into streaming and just get a youtube red or Spotify account

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
spotify

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
does anyone actually use ~besoke curated~ mp3s anymore??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
anyways i used to use media monkey and it worked well, especially with miniplayer mode. you can check that out

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

itunes is bloated but the ui is actually extremely good. just convert flac to alac using xld (which can also pop the files into ur library)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Xaris posted:

spotify

hmm yeah maybe actually, particularly now i have a bigger os drive that can handle it repeatedly ignoring the "put cached songs somewhere else" setting and making GBS threads up c:\ with 10Gb of stuff

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

itunes is bloated but the ui is actually extremely good. just convert flac to alac using xld (which can also pop the files into ur library)

why would you troll me like this at christmas???

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
honestly just get Spotify, it will have 99% of your songs. And whatever songs they don't have, you can add as a .mp3 in a local library file and it'll show up in your library as if it did have it. infact you could use spotify to manage your local library too if you really wanted

you can also split a 6-slot family premium subscription for like $2.75 a month with goons. i do that and its super cheap

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

winamp 5.666

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

use Apple Music while scrolling through this twitter, op
https://twitter.com/winampskins/status/938464641264451585

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Plex has a new music player built on Electron and it’s complete trash (with the exception of the visualizers built on WebGL)

you can’t command-tab to it, you have to memorize the global hotkeys.

Electron.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sweevo posted:

winamp 5.666

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I use the one built in to win 10 for my old rear end MP3 collection and Spotify with some program I downloaded that blocks and strips the ads so it's non-stop music because I ain't paying for poo poo.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i have a sansa clip+ that i put all my self-ripped flac media files on

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

Plex has a new music player built on Electron and it’s complete trash (with the exception of the visualizers built on WebGL)

you can’t command-tab to it, you have to memorize the global hotkeys.

Electron.

is Electron that "cross platform javascript everywhere!" thing because lol yes of course that would be trash

so far Spotify it is.

also, I still have literally the first mp3 I downloaded ever, it's "I wish" by skee lo at 128kpbs off napster hell yes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
google play dummy

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

foobar is good. it's basically drag and drop or you can pick one of the sensible defaults, idk why people act like it's impossible to customize. good plugins include the waveform seekbar and playlist organizer that let you have folders in your playlist view

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

google play dummy

ftw

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i subscribed to google play music over spotify because there's actually a lot of stuff i want to listen to that isn't in either one's library but that i can listen to as low quality uploads with my phone screen off on youtube red

it really whips the llama's rear end

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ks3ucumilU

You're welcome, OP

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
use xmplay op

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

George posted:

literally same

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

why was that a thing lol. can the device actually output an appreciable difference? or your headphones? a losing space trade off for bit wankers

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

spotify is fine if u a bitch ok with low bitrate streaming

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

OldAlias posted:

why was that a thing lol. can the device actually output an appreciable difference? or your headphones? a losing space trade off for bit wankers

idk I bought some fancy headphones and was like 'hmm this track sounds awful now' and turns out I was listening to like 100kbps vbr or something

flac is good and gives you epenis++

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

spotify is fine if u a bitch ok with low bitrate streaming

192kbps should be enough for anyone

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
spotify suits my needs, op. i use itunes for my local music.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

just suck it up and reinstall/re-setup foobar you bitch

and use google music for streaming stuff, i actually pay for it it's pretty decent. sometimes things get a little fucky when you upload your own stuff but overall no complaints. still have to wonder how long until google pulls the plug or otherwise totally fucks it up v:geno:v

George posted:

i've still got a clip+ running rockbox in a drawer somewhere. that thing and rockbox was fuckin' cool, used it when i had a palm pixi (which was v bad for music listening due to lovely media player and poo poo battery life). shame the latest sansa clip is too crappy to run rockbox. like apparently the SOC is so bad and cheap it can barely even run sandisk's firmware, lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

192kbps should be enough for anyone

i kind of unironically hate how 320cbr has become the standard for stuff instead of vbr. SPACE EFFICIENCY YOU FUCKS!!!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

i kind of unironically hate how 320cbr has become the standard for stuff instead of vbr. SPACE EFFICIENCY YOU FUCKS!!!

how efficient is it tho :thunk:

but really I thought it wasn't a huge improvement and only mattered back in the day when storage was a lot more expensive

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the chinese need to make a ~$50 ipod size knockoff instead of those lovely premium brick ones

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if they get rid of the tumor on top and on the back it might be alright

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

hifi posted:

if they get rid of the tumor on top and on the back it might be alright

that thing looks like my old Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it looks like my old coolpix

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Spotify is user-hostile and forces itself to launch on login in 3 different ways once you install it on macOS.

that and you can’t have >10k tracks in your library.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5QGTe0fgU

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 26, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Amazon music is part of the Prime package now, but I haven’t used it to see what the selection is like - there’s a free Prime trial you could try if you don’t already have it?

<edit> lol no Amazon music is EXTRA to Prime, so gently caress that in the ear.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 26, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Personally I recently switched from iTunes back to foobar, after the initial hour or two of janitoring getting it looking how you want its simpler, less buggy, and less bloated than iTunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
op consider storing your music within a mnemonic device and free yourself from the prosthetics of commodity hardware

• Locked thread