Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Fayez Butts posted:

that thing looks like my old Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra

drat I had one of those, can't believe I used to carry it round in a pocket as it weighed a shitload...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

if they get rid of the tumor on top and on the back it might be alright

i'm the HD -> Vintage slider

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Amazon music is part of the Prime package now, but I haven’t used it to see what the selection is like - there’s a free Prime trial you could try if you don’t already have it?

<edit> lol no Amazon music is EXTRA to Prime, so gently caress that in the ear.

theres amazon prime music which is included with regular prime, in addition to amazon music unlimited. its fine. id say it has about 70% of what you'd want to listen to (depending on genre), compared to like 90/95% on unlimited or spotify or whatever. not like everything you'd want but fine if you are lazy or cheap

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

drat I had one of those, can't believe I used to carry it round in a pocket as it weighed a shitload...

i had one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNlx--vuCM

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hifi posted:

if they get rid of the tumor on top and on the back it might be alright
i did a double-take when i realized that the song on the screen was off the bad u2 album from 2009 instead of the bad u2 album from 2000

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

i destroyed my os drive and lost my hand curated 10 year old foobar profile and ill be hosed if i can remember how to configure the thing any more.

is there anything better for just listening to music and managing a library or am i going to have to spend 2 hours janitoring ui config?

edit: i mean for fucks sake its loaded the library but the artist list is blank even though it has loaded artist info from all the tags, do i really have to go write a regex to parse this poo poo what the gently caress?

If you liked foobar try musicbee. Less ui config bullshit, almost as lightweight and handles large libraries well.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Dodoman posted:

If you liked foobar try musicbee. Less ui config bullshit, almost as lightweight and handles large libraries well.

this actually looks pretty good, gonna try it when I'm not at work

Spotify sucked at handling a large library but I use it for my own trash playlists so it does have a place

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i recently ruined my spotify account by playing the same albums 999 times to soothe baby plankun so i switched back to winamp 5.666

its good op

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

i recently ruined my spotify account by playing the same albums 999 times to soothe baby plankun so i switched back to winamp 5.666

its good op

lol if you don't just listen to the same albums 999 times anyway because modern music is terrible :corsair:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lol if you don't just listen to the same albums 999 times anyway because modern music is terrible :corsair:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

iTunes + iTunes Match OP

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

is itunes music compressed losslessly yet or are they still making people pay actual money for kazaa-quality rips?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

is itunes music compressed losslessly yet or are they still making people pay actual money for kazaa-quality rips?

256 aac is decent but imo everything should be lossless now, too bad tidal is about to go out of business since I think they're the only major service offering it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

qirex posted:

256 aac is decent but imo everything should be lossless now, too bad tidal is about to go out of business since I think they're the only major service offering it

Qobuz does but their pricing is weird. I only know they exist because I got a voucher for them when I bought a separate mp3 player.

actually wait they're "hi res " as well as lossless (they do 24 bit wav lmao) . for just lossless 7digital does flac.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

high res audio is a joke and 100% a ploy to grab dollars from 70yo deaf analog dudes who read magazines

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lol, speaking of high res audio, the toblerone audio player's store shut down and now you have an expensive audiophile quality yellow plastic brick apparently

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

qirex posted:

high res audio is a joke and 100% a ploy to grab dollars from 70yo deaf analog dudes who read magazines

i bought a turntable recently as I have all my parents old vinyl and it "rips to hi res" but only as wav, rendering that function almost useless

it does sound good as a plain old player though, but turns out my dads taste in music suuccckkss

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the emerging market leader in high resolution audio [mqa] uses lossy compression so that should tell you everything you need to know

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

like, one hi res album as flac is 1.5gb what the gently caress

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

just resample the files then

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

reminder that audiophiles think the same mp3 will sound better if played back from a more expensive sd card

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27163

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

you should try winamp op, it really whips the llama's rear end

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

you should try winamp op, it really whips the llama's rear end

winamp gives me flashbacks to 1998 and severely awful plugin skins along with a screensaver that imitated the matrix

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

winamp gives me flashbacks to 1998 and severely awful plugin skins along with a screensaver that imitated the matrix

i thought it was this thread but it must have been somewhere else someone linked to this twitter

https://twitter.com/winampskins/status/943341494462640128

i kind of miss the days of skinning absolutely everything. kind of.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

i thought it was this thread but it must have been somewhere else someone linked to this twitter

https://twitter.com/winampskins/status/943341494462640128

i kind of miss the days of skinning absolutely everything. kind of.

drat I remember playing max payne with spybreak playing on winamp in the background and thinking it was the most amazing thing ever

edit: also musicbee seems pretty good so far, thanks whoever suggested that!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

reminder that audiophiles think the same mp3 will sound better if played back from a more expensive sd card

someone post the guy who was trying to hack his c++ library to make his mp3s sound better

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/11/119979.html

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
[whispered from the void] shakti stones...

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

qirex posted:

waste of resources imo. i do want a pono player though if only as an interesting curio

winamp is ugly as sin but functionally it whips the llamas rear end. being all in on apple music i'm stuck with itunes so thank your lucky stars you get to use something that works relatively consistently

RISCy Business posted:

i'm the HD -> Vintage slider

what's the betting this just adds a treble boost?

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 29, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Generic Monk posted:

waste of resources imo. i do want a pono player though if only as an interesting curio

when you load a typical webpage in 2017 you get like 10 megs of javascript frameworks and an autoplaying hd video, 15 megabytes for a song doesn't seem so unreasonable

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
theres a fighting game sponsor called ponos and when i see them sometimes i go "the neil young thing???"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
put your pono to my vagoo

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It is kinda weird everything hasn't just moved over to lossless already

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

why? lovely data caps are still a thing esp w/ mobile and anything that works ‘good enough’ will continue forever unless there’s a market incentive. no one else cares except audiophiles, and they’re whales as opposed to the long tail

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sonique by lycos

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

OldAlias posted:

why? lovely data caps are still a thing esp w/ mobile and anything that works ‘good enough’ will continue forever unless there’s a market incentive. no one else cares except audiophiles, and they’re whales as opposed to the long tail

It just feels like downloading in lossless should at least be an option when you buy something, at least to be equivalent to a CD.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
bandcamp does that

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I remember a conversation with a sysadmin dude in the early 00s, he tried to convince me 128 kbps is good enough, and no one can tell the difference between mp3 and cd anyway. tbf there was some dumb article in a popular nerdmag, where they invited musicians to spot the difference, and they couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

George posted:

i have a sansa clip+ that i put all my self-ripped flac media files on

:same:

I only got the clip+ because it could do .ogg. Installed rockbox after a few months, and battery life has improved a lot.

• Locked thread