Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
FYI, for the next map I tried to record a big GMM one (#1504, GMM F7 by Foxx). I think it's interesting if anyone wants to try it who hasn't. However, you might need to get a supercomputer to get it to run at normal speed. My was at a third-to-half speed by the time I had gotten well into things so I abandoned making a video out of it. Median time is well over an hour. Just to much for I think most PCs to handle smoothly, so I'm going to be restricting myself some on the size of the GMM maps I do out of necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That just means you need a new super computer.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Heh, unlikely. FOXX himself told me his system slows down on the GMM maps as well so … I'm thinking it might just be a thing with them. Which is fine for playing by yourself, not-fine for recording. The long and the short of it is basically that I just won't do as many of them as I planned - even the moderate-sized one I did for the next video is about 30% or so slower than it should be time-wise. Which gives you more time to 'appreciate' the mistakes I made with choosing what bridges to open and close, and the sheer insanity of the Doppel that covers almost half the map (not joking).

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jumping straight to the latest and greatest I see. Ooh, I'm looking forward to the next map. Omnifest 9 + GMM is great. I love that map-sized doppel. (No, I didn't remember it off the top of my head, but I was able to look it up really quickly just by the shape of the map on the list of games.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Strategic Sage posted:

Heh, unlikely. FOXX himself told me his system slows down on the GMM maps as well so … I'm thinking it might just be a thing with them. Which is fine for playing by yourself, not-fine for recording. The long and the short of it is basically that I just won't do as many of them as I planned - even the moderate-sized one I did for the next video is about 30% or so slower than it should be time-wise. Which gives you more time to 'appreciate' the mistakes I made with choosing what bridges to open and close, and the sheer insanity of the Doppel that covers almost half the map (not joking).

It's simple. You need more hardware. Just get a second computer that captures the video stream to your monitor and records that.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's actually the setup a lot of streamers have. They just use an HDMI splitter and capture card, then use a second weak PC to capture and stream. No overhead on their gaming rig.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

carbon dioxide posted:

It's simple. You need more hardware. Just get a second computer that captures the video stream to your monitor and records that.

That wouldn't eliminate the problem - it still lags even without recording. It's a good idea, but not one that's viable right now from a financial standpoint. I'd also have to upgrade into pretty expensive territory on my main PC to make a significant difference over the relatively-budget improvement I did last year. I can handle some of the more intense games resource-wise better than the majority of people playing them with the current system, so at this point it's more on what the maps require than it is on the computer side IMO.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

To be clear I wasn't seriously suggesting you spend a shitton of money for a Something Awful Lettuce Play. Just enjoy your hobby. While we continue waiting forever for CW4.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
Omni-Fest 9 + GMM 1 (1:06:08)

Probably won't be doing any more GMMs for performance reasons, but this one was still fun. The Doppel to end all Doppels is a slog all it's own, and it took me a while to figure out what I was supposed to do with the ships. As usual the biggest part of the strategy is figuring out which bridges to open and close at the proper times. This type of map always makes me kind of want to do it again more optimally … but not enough to go through the process again.

Up Next

Going to delve into some of the specific map requests next. Haven't decided which ones yet.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

I don't see a place where i could put you
There exists an amp gem tech known as "rock burner" which allows you to burn away land.
They warn you about using it, because poor use of it could render the map unwinnable, but there are deliberate extending "land bridges" on the left side that clearly exist just to be burned off for ship space.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 23, 2020

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SS, did you see how much faster the mire started moving once you opened 8 at 22:12?

45:00 "Yes, we can do it. We're pretty powerful now." Loses a ton of progress and half his omnis. :airquote:

Anyway, it's been nice seeing you get a lot better at these. Mind you, it's also funny seeing you looking ahead, seeing which bridges you need to close, and closing them to prep for the assault. Then, a few minutes later you forget to do than on another segment.

Happy you enjoyed this one, because it is a really good map.

Regallion posted:

There exists an amp gem tech known as "rock burner" which allows you to burn away land.
They warn you about using it, because poor use of it could render the map unwinnable, but there are deliberate extending "land bridges" on the left side that clearly exist just to be burned off for ship space.

There's a GMM map that I'm equal parts embarrassed and proud of beating. You were supposed to use Mire Blockers. I wanted to get as far as I could without them, and then I completely forgot about them by the midgame. I had to creatively use rock burner to win without making forward progress impossible. I beat it, and I was proud, but then I realized there were the mire blockers, and then I just felt silly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly, other than forgetting to close some bridges I would probably have tackled this map quite similarly.

I know there's much more advanced faster strategies available but this would be the approach that comes to mind if I start up a GMM map.

Speaking of, if anyone knows of some interesting speedruns of custom maps, those might be interesting to watch.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

General Revil posted:

it's also funny seeing you looking ahead, seeing which bridges you need to close, and closing them to prep for the assault. Then, a few minutes later you forget to do than on another segment.

I resemble that remark. :colbert:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You do look like that remark a lot, it describes you well. You possibly resent it as well.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

SIGSEGV posted:

You do look like that remark a lot, it describes you well. You possibly resent it as well.

:thejoke:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Regallion posted:

Welcome back to the thread - I know about the Rock Burner and used it during the Story, but I was too worried about screwing something up to deploy it here.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Omnificient (34:35)

A fun romp with SuperOmnis, after I tried to do a couple of suggested AI War-themed maps that are way too laggy. But I do have a question here. What in the name of Creeper am I supposed to do with all those ship schematics? Try as I might I couldn't find anywhere to build them. This would be a fun speedrunning level though, as otherwhise it seems to be very solvable in terms of how fast it can be done.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Someone suggest some Sorrontis maps to SS.
I know he made em for both CW3 and PF and frankly this LP needs some SUFFERING.
Also

Strategic Sage posted:

What in the name of Creeper am I supposed to do with all those ship schematics? Try as I might I couldn't find anywhere to build them.

Regallion posted:

Regallion fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 1, 2020

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is another rock burner level. I'm constitutionally opposed to using rock burner unless absolutely necessary, so I beat it the same way as you (mostly). There's a fun trick at the start that if you're quick, you can get your first omni behind enemy lines to the left and claim the energy mine and massive omni stack before the mire covers it up. It's a fun challenge.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

So, news on CW4:

official discord announcement posted:

It's tight, but Knuckle Cracker is trying to produce a limited tech demo of Creeper World 4 to be available during this steam game festival. The demo has to be ready a month ahead of time (May 15). We need a very limited, but varied, set of testers to try the demo. Note this isn't the full game, it's the demo that everyone will be able to play for free during the steam game festival in June.

If this happens, I'll try to show some of it and demonstrate that my ability to play CW badly isn't limited to those games that are already fully completed.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

PSA: You may have noticed the schedule's gotten a bit sporadic here, and that will continue. For the past three weeks now, I've become a 'professional shopper', which I plan on continuing to do even after the pandemic abates. This hobby has become a bit of a casualty of that. Lots of adjustments are happening for me personally; physical, psychological, daily routine, and so forth. This project and the others will proceed, but at what frequency is anybody's guess. I don't have any good sense of how long it will be before a 'new normal' emerges, only that I'm not there yet.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

what the heck is a professional shopper? i've heard of secret shoppers...

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Professional shopper meaning I am now shopping for a living. Getting people's grocery orders and delivering them to their house (via the Shipt platform).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, I thought you might've been shopping for a profession, that is applying to new jobs.

Anyway, getting your own life going is more important than an LP so go focus on that first.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

License 1 (57:23)

A couple of the characters return to poke fun at ship licenses here, and the level itself is more interesting than I expected. After a couple of restarts, I managed to get a rare mid-game stalemate as well which was equal parts impressive and annoying. Have to give this one a seal of approval.

Up Next

Moving on now to a grab-bag of levels from CW2, CW3, and PF until such time as CW4 rears it's head.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, this is a really fun level. Watching the mines lathe themselves is surprisingly relaxing. Glad you liked it. A few points.

That emitter at the start of the map can be reached by your HQ. It should be the second thing you target at the start of the map; lathe the first mine in the chain, then immediately turn around and get rid of that emitter. That makes the first land mass much more manageable.

I didn't realize you were under this assumption until you mentioned it, but as you discovered, you don't need to have enemy mire spawners connected to good mire in order to lathe them. You can lathe them even off of fully red mired land.

Omni movement: I've noticed you have a weird mix of recklessness, but also underaggressiveness, with your omnis. Like when you were attacking the central continent, you guided your omnis to fly through particulate, losing some before they could start their attack. You also seem willing to charge omnis into enemy mire to try to mire the land, but not that often to try to lathe emitters or spawners (with the notable exception of the emitters at the bottom right corner, kudos on that one).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Even without the omni reactors it looked like you could approach that southern mass of land by landing the omnis near the side you controlled. Every time you landed them on the middle, the red stuff disappeared from the coast line your cannons were aiming at, so you already almost had control over that and with some omnis there you would've kept it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Regallion posted:

Someone suggest some Sorrontis maps to SS.
I know he made em for both CW3 and PF and frankly this LP needs some SUFFERING.

As you wish. Next map will be the highest-rated CW3 Sorrontis map that doesn't lag my computer to death. Don't have much trouble with that usually on CW3 anymore, but worth throwing out that caveat. I haven't even looked yet, but remember if this goes terribly it's all your fault.

Edit: For anyone who wants to look at it ahead of time, the 'winning' entry appears to be Monkey Bars (#2448). It doesn't appear to be that scary at first glance. The median time is over an hour though, so I'm sure it's worse than it looks.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 22, 2020

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

KC Discord posted:

Steam has approved the Creeper World 4 Demo for the above-mentioned Steam Game festival due to start on June 9th. Everyone that wishes will be able to play the demo game for that week. Be sure to be on the lookout for a few Easter Eggs that will extend the playability of some of the early tutorial maps.

Expect the necessary and appropriate thread-spamming to occur here that weekend.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woo! That's great news. I'm looking forward to it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Thanks to Dash Rendar for reverting the thread title again. We've now entered the 'Grab-Bag' phase in which there will be a variety of missions from the various games. First up is this:

Monkey Bars (1:13:44)

My first Sorrontis level. Wasn't as bad as I expected. The whole runner-creeper-bomb thing gets amped up to the nth degree, and my CW3 rust definitely showed as well. Went from confidence early on to 'abandon ship!' and 'What do I do?' partway through before I got a handle on things. Not bad once you get going on the attack ... but that getting going isn't easy.

Up Next

I'm thinking of doing a montage of procedurally generated levels from the various games to see how they differ. Let me know if you want more Sorrontis, I can bring as much of that pain as desired.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I enjoy playing CW3 custom maps more than PF custom maps.

Anyway, remind me, what is affected by range upgrades again. Relays? Nullifiers?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Neither of those as far as I recall. Just the 'traditional' weapons; blasters, mortars, etc. I know relays aren't,, not sure on nullifiers but I don't think so.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I bought Creeper World 1 and 3 after reading/watching a few parts of this and played through them while catching up. It scratches itches I never knew I had. Thank you. I'm more interested in CW3 custom maps than Particle Fleet, but go for whatever you have more fun with.

I tend to rush reactors and energy efficiency a lot harder than you do and care less about being a little in deficit when building reactors; safe play but it'd be dead boring to watch. I also have something of a blind spot where sprayers and aircraft are concerned and rarely use them in favor of the various direct fire weapons and berthas. It works through massive application of blunt force, then I watch your video and see how much easier AC and the occasional run of air support makes it and smack myself upside the head.

For this map, I didn't realize that the runners spiked the creeper that much more than normal as they did and merrily set up sniper turrets to kick off my attack on the vertical island south of the anticreeper island. The assault faltered, I half-assed terping myself an advantage and handed the creeper some very, very convenient walls to blob me with. Another assault was feasible, but it'd take a while. After a rage restart I went in leading with anticreeper and saved the snipers until I had a good foothold position. I tended to lead with blasters and used my sprayers with always-on to cement gains, contrasting with you leading with sprayers throughout. I also terped a lot harder than you did after my first blunder.

While I had plenty of dumb moments catching up, I think my funniest overall blunder while playing along was that I didn't realize that the creeper magnet towers on Otrav were nullifiable. On the one hand, this really helped destroy massive amounts of creeper when my bertha battery got off the ground, on the other hand grinding through those spawners with half the power circles I was supposed to have was brutal work, AC was worthless, and my line got periodically crushed when the magnets moved and my berthas weren't on point. I only realized my mistake when I nullified the last spawner in the back and the game didn't end.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Heh, the actually best Sorrontis maps are the one where he uses CRPl to enhance your misery, but that was a nice taster, what with the superbugs and the millimiter lined platforms.
Those would need to be recommended, because, as you correclty surmised, they are downvoted to all hell because people don't like getting dunked on!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Sorrontis actually made some recommendations on the Discord. So I'll be getting to those, but first up there's this:

Release Roundup (1:23:10)

A longer video, but it actually has four missions; one from each game. The schtick here is that they are all procedurally generated, showing the evolution of the series in a single video. The seeds used are the release date for each of the four titles. A couple are quite easy; a couple are more challenging.

Up Next

Chosen because I thought the name was funny, I'll be going with I Apologize In Advance (Sorrontis, CW3). Whereas Monkey Bars is way on the easy end for his creations, this is more roughly moderate from what I'm told. Then I may have the courage to work my way to the sharp end of the stick, depending on how this one goes.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Also, just as an FYI I plan on terminating this thread when the CW4 demo arrives in about a week. I plan on getting that one additional mission up before then. The main reason is that I want to not make baldurk's job archiving any more difficult than necessary, so I plan to keep the links to just the OP ... and it's almost out of room. I could stretch it into the second post, but I'd not complicate matters by doing that.

So at that time, I'll be making a new thread for CW4 and then putting additional 'grab bag' missions from the previous games there in between. There'll still be quite a few of those, as the release-version expectation right now, according to the Steam Store page, is 'by Q2 2021, but probably sooner'.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 31, 2020

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

You might also want to ask them to regale you with a story on how i was banned from there~ ^_^

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Complications posted:

I also have something of a blind spot where sprayers and aircraft are concerned and rarely use them in favor of the various direct fire weapons and berthas. It works through massive application of blunt force, then I watch your video and see how much easier AC and the occasional run of air support makes it and smack myself upside the head.

I'm sure you've seen plenty of times where I've done worse :). *cough* Titan *cough* Otrav story was amusing though - I'm glad you are enjoying the game. I do think custom CW3 missions are pretty much peak for the series, so in general I plan on doing as much or more of that as everything else combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am still expecting the new ship designs for a mission.