Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Expect My Mom posted:

for a second, he becomes a villain, trying to dig up people's traumas, which is cool cause them having issues in the group is the whole point but he just stops at one point idk

he was cute tho, i liked his face piercings

i mean, that's exactly why i hate the way he's handled. having him dig up problems could be cool, but they did it at the end, for like one scene, and it didn't lead to anything meaningful. if that's the direction they wanted to go with him, they should've done it at the start, because that would've actually given him a group dynamic that he was missing for like 95% of the show. and maybe they wanted to??? since the first thing he does is push agata off a goddamn rail??? but then they just... stop???

basically outside of the weird direction they take with honoka all of my issues with kiznaiver are that it's not even restricted by schedule or budget, it just doesn't even make the attempt to stick to something interesting and it just, it almost does it, it gets so close, and then it decides to focus on really empty conspiracy crap for half its run time instead and all of it feels so cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

kill la kill isn't a good show

What the???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eela6 posted:

What the???

the first half of kill la kill is fun but the ragyo scenes are really weird, imo, and the drama in the second half isn't good

but it at least feels like it uses its characters at any point

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
its bad

The Colonel posted:

i mean, that's exactly why i hate the way he's handled. having him dig up problems could be cool, but they did it at the end, for like one scene, and it didn't lead to anything meaningful. if that's the direction they wanted to go with him, they should've done it at the start, because that would've actually given him a group dynamic that he was missing for like 95% of the show. and maybe they wanted to??? since the first thing he does is push agata off a goddamn rail??? but then they just... stop???

basically outside of the weird direction they take with honoka all of my issues with kiznaiver are that it's not even restricted by schedule or budget, it just doesn't even make the attempt to stick to something interesting and it just, it almost does it, it gets so close, and then it decides to focus on really empty conspiracy crap for half its run time instead and all of it feels so cheap
yeah no, im totally agreeing with you. so much of kiznaiver is them brushing up against really cool ideas that the concept of Linked Feelings naturally gives you, and then just walking away from it because they rather focus on their evil corporations. and it's such a bummer cause they are so close with it and you can see the skeleton there but then the bones fall apart

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the hosed up thing is that luluco aired the same season as kiznaiver and it was entirely about a goofy middle school girl's crush on a galactic pretty boy and it was so good that it made me willing to give lwa a chance and giving lwa a chance ended up being a good idea

so thank you luluco

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
every time i think Maybe I Don't Really Like Trigger's Body Work Outside Of LWA, I remember I havent seen luluco yet

i should do that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I largely don't care for Trigger but rather enjoyed Luluco quite a bit.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Temper your expectations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

the first half of kill la kill is fun but the ragyo scenes are really weird, imo, and the drama in the second half isn't good

but it at least feels like it uses its characters at any point

Fair enough. Not gonna try and defend the Ragyo stuff. It doesn't bug me a lot personally, but it's just poorly executed and not a good look for a show that otherwise threads the line between "I can't believe they just did that" and "oh god, why did they do that" so well.

Otoh, I might like the second half more than the first! It's bigger, louder, and dumber than the first half, and that's a-ok with me because Trigger is great at big, dumb, and loud.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Eh, I'm not going to go to the mats for Kiznavier--it looked good, I liked the characters (I may be in the minority here), it had some affecting moments, and an actual ending--but I enjoyed it. Oh well.

No disagreement on Luluco though. With the exception of those episodes where you kind of have to have seen their other stuff, it might be my favorite Trigger.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The problem with Kill La Kill was that a lot of the set up they were building in the first half was completely abandoned in the second half. Its pretty obvious there were some massive plot rewrites during airing, and it felt clunky. It was still a fun ride, though.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Kill la Kill is decent for the first half and complete unwatchable trash in the second.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I feel outgunned.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
kill la kill was funny and had a cool style but as expected was weighed down heavily by terrible anime plot

i feel the exact same way about land of the lustrous

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kill la kill is now good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mercrom posted:

making fun of africans is like making fun of 4 year olds or retards. never punch down.

russians are like adults with agency though so its ok

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:thinking:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
out of the two shows id say kill la kill had deeper themes

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Ed: -

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 16, 2018

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

:thinking:

You could have worded this to sound less offensive. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
im permabanned poster personofcolorstomper58

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Eela6 posted:

I feel outgunned.

I’m with you. The second half of KLK was fun as heck.

(Personally I’d even say I found KLK a better version of what TTGL was trying to be, with characters I cared more about and more effective humor propelling its Big Dumb Plot to the finish line)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

KLK put a little too much effort into making a parental figure Worse Than Gendo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ranzear posted:

KLK put a little too much effort into making a parental figure Worse Than Gendo
And they failed.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

And they failed.

cant believe wark likes molestation mom

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The hell I do. I just find Gendo a far more reprehensible human being.

*flicks half-chewed Pocky at you*

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

The hell I do. I just find Gendo a far more reprehensible human being.

*flicks half-chewed Pocky at you*

why

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ragyo is willing to sell humanity for the good graces of a lovely discount Lavos, and seems like her family has been doing similar things for a while. So, while a horrible piece of poo poo, it seems like she was drinking the Kool-Aid fed to her, kinda like Queen Zeal. Gendou is doing all that of his own volition for someone who's kinda not there anymore.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Why are we talking about klk.

Lets talk about Guru Guru which not enough of y'all watched it's amazing.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

an actual dog posted:

Mahoujin Guru Guru is really good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

Colonel and SQuark are silly. And Guru Guru is fun fun fun! :dance:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

esselfortium posted:

(Personally I’d even say I found KLK a better version of what TTGL was trying to be, with characters I cared more about and more effective humor propelling its Big Dumb Plot to the finish line)

...I, uh, don't think klk was trying to be ttgl at all, though? :confused:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

The problem with Kill La Kill was that a lot of the set up they were building in the first half was completely abandoned in the second half. Its pretty obvious there were some massive plot rewrites during airing, and it felt clunky. It was still a fun ride, though.

I remember this complaint coming up a lot at the time but the only thing people could really point to was the dumb mohawk guy and his sister not being important. It didn't seem like it was completely plotted out and it jumped around a bit in the ending but I think it was a pretty excellent series. I'd put it just under Gurren Lagann myself.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The Colonel posted:

kill la kill is now good

The ragyo scenes were in really bad taste. Alot of other stuff was borderline in bad taste, which isn't really out of the ordinary. There was I think alot of potential, and I think that's what really makes people dislike it so much. I really really love matoi's look.

an actual dog posted:

:golgo:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

esselfortium posted:

I’m with you. The second half of KLK was fun as heck.

I never watched TTGL but It's Diebuster, Actually

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Anime Awards nominees are up!

http://www.theanimeawards.com/#nominees

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kind of funny seeing Kukuri nominated for "Best Hero." She wouldn't think she's the best hero even in her own show...

And Kemono Friends as "Best Slice of Life" is odd.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Agronox posted:

Kind of funny seeing Kukuri nominated for "Best Hero." She wouldn't think she's the best hero even in her own show...

And Kemono Friends as "Best Slice of Life" is odd.

While there are a couple odd choices (for example, Land of the Lustrous is nominated for a lot of things, but not Best Drama), I think they're generally better-chosen than last year's; there's nothing as jarring as Satoru and Kayo from ERASED as a Best Couple nominee.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Crunchyroll's being surprisingly magnanimous about allowing Amazon's licenses (And even netflix) into their little survey there. They also went so far as to post an article suggesting people watch HnK at some point during the last season.

I'm impressed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kytrarewn posted:

Crunchyroll's being surprisingly magnanimous about allowing Amazon's licenses (And even netflix) into their little survey there. They also went so far as to post an article suggesting people watch HnK at some point during the last season.

I'm impressed.

They did the same thing last year at the Yuri on Ice awards. They also don't have any of the movies, and that's an extremely strong selection. I'm unsure if In This Corner of the World or A Slient Voice should get my vote, since they're both superb. Confused as to why Girls und Panzer's there though, wasn't that from a couple years back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Pad and Rutile as best couple or I'm not looking at the loving shitass pole

• Locked thread