Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Or if you're in the general vicinity of Hisoka at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leorio screwed over everyone he was with on the hunter exam so he could cop a feel. but considering what the other 3 have gotten up to over the course of the manga, that single example of poor behavior seems rather trivial.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the man's got needs, sometimes you gotta put yourself first, he's a good boy

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

AnacondaHL posted:

There are lots of invalid votes too. Please make a new post to make a correction if desired, as opposed to editing your original, tia.

Can you be more clear about this? Are you actively discarding any vote with an "edited" tag, or just not going back to recount votes if someone had edited his post (which would have been nigh impossible if you're just adding tickmarks to an excel sheet or something).

I ask because I don't believe that I've changed my actual vote... but I have added additional content to my post and added names to by HM list, neither of which should affect your actual tally.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Number of qualifying series I watched this year: 58
Filter out stuff that either belongs in the worst thread or forgettable popcorn shows: 37
Indeed, good year for anime.

So am going to pick out 5 that I think left the biggest impression in no particular order.

Kemono Friends - ...FriendsFriendsFriendsFriendsFriendsFriendsFriendsFriendsFriends... Seriously what the hell is this, how can something so janky and cheap looking be so entertaining? Also:

Land of the Lustruous - As soon as I finished the show, I read all the available manga chapters, definitely would like seeing more of this animated by the same team.

Made in Abyss - I thought the high points generally outweighed the low points, but even if it didn't for everyone, it is an undeniable fact that it has serious impact.

March Comes In Like A Lion S1 - Extremely good, I think after season 2 wraps up I may just dive right into the manga.

ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department - 5th spot is hard to fill honestly, there are plenty of series that could qualify, but if I had to pick a reason for putting this here over everything else it is that it is super easy to recommend to anyone without any reservations whatsoever.

Full list of honorable mentions:
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
Alice & Zouroku - The huge swings in tone kinda hurt this series.
Altair: A Record of Battles
Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Arc
Attack on Titan Season 2
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
Danmachi: Sword Oratoria
Gabriel Dropout
Girls' Last Tour
Gundam Build Fighters: Battlogue
Interviews with Monster Girls
Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Konohana Kitan
KonoSuba 2
Little Witch Academia
Magical Circle Guru Guru
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season - Could have easily reached top 5 if S1 and S2 were edited and condensed into a single ~30 episode season while deleting the Turbine harem and letting Kudelia do something in the second half.
My Hero Academia Season 2
Natsume's Book of Friends Season 6
New Game!!
Ninja Girl and Samurai Master
Princess Principal
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul - The animation on this show was regularly spectacular, but the second half of the story was just plain bad.
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Sakura Quest
Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ - Hard for a 4th season to rise to the upper ranks, but it was still really fun.
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star
The Eccentric Family 2
Tsurezure Children

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - Honestly this one just fell from top spot because I really disliked the implications of the tail end, and wonder why they had to be included at all.

I was genuinely pissed off with the implication made at the end and really wish they hadn’t done it.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Top 5:

1. Scum's Wish
2. Girls' Last Tour
3. Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
4. Land of the Lustrous
5. Princess Principal

Runners-up:

Ai Mai Mii S3
New Game!!
Made In Abyss
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Konosuba S2

and a lot of other shows I enjoyed this year. it was a good anime year.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

leorio screwed over everyone he was with on the hunter exam so he could cop a feel. but considering what the other 3 have gotten up to over the course of the manga, that single example of poor behavior seems rather trivial.
Leorio has his moments of dimness/roughness, but it's otherwise a stand-up dude and at first I just thought "Eh, he's nothing but a Kuwabara stand-in", but then I started enjoying the big lug a good deal more, which is why when he came back for the election arc and punched that rear end in a top hat right in the kisser, it felt so drat rad.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I was genuinely pissed off with the implication made at the end and really wish they hadn’t done it.

It hardened my soul and almost had the honey and clover ending bounce off me

Almost...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kashuno posted:

I’m in the boat that doesn’t believe it, because the series already did make a point about unreliable narration before, and it’s the entertainment industry. Why wouldn’t there be crazy rumors flying around everyone?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't believe it but i also question the need to give it that place in the story. yakumo was sufficiently complicated and that element didn't need to introduced, especially as some posthumous stinger.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

dogsicle posted:

i don't believe it but i also question the need to give it that place in the story. yakumo was sufficiently complicated and that element didn't need to introduced, especially as some posthumous stinger.

That's my take on it as well. It doesn't seem to be needed or to make the story more interesting so I don't know why it's there, but at least there's no confirmation and it doesn't stop the show from being my favorite of the year (although it was really hard to decide between Rakugo and 3-gatsu).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mentat Radnor posted:

That's my take on it as well. It doesn't seem to be needed or to make the story more interesting so I don't know why it's there, but at least there's no confirmation and it doesn't stop the show from being my favorite of the year (although it was really hard to decide between Rakugo and 3-gatsu).

I liked it because it redeemed the ol' boss.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This was an interesting year for me and my relationship with anime. Not to go into too much personal detail, but I have chronic health problems that have left me unable to do a lot of my former hobbies and often leave me disabled with intense pain. I filled a lot of that time with anime this year.

Honorable Mention: Anime-Gataris: I think to really love this show you need to be an obsessive anime loon who hasn't been into it long enough to burn out or see all the tricks yet. That's exactly where I am, so it worked perfectly for me. A meta anime is not a classic, but I did love it. Also, I still can't get over how good the OP is

Honorable Mention: Little Witch Academia - This show is a fantastic adventure for all ages, and Acco is a fantastic protagonist. I just wish the other students got more screen time.

5. Demi-Chan Wa Katanari (Interviews with Monster Girls) - This smart, gentle show manages to be a cute SOL and gently explore the space of living with disablity at the same time. Watching this show helped me come to terms with the fact I will likely be disabled for the rest of my life, and that's OK. It's just how things are. Sometimes when you're disabled you want to be treated like you're just one of the guys, and sometimes people treating you like you're 'normal' is cruel itself. The characters in this show felt like real teenage girls, and the way Takashi-Sensei learns to grow into his role as mentor was very interesting to me. I think it's cool that he is an actual role model, an established, hard-working educator in his mid-thirties who takes his responsibilities seriously, rather than a bland everyman protagonist for the audience to project themselves onto. I empathized most with Machi, whose unique challenges have led her to be focused and somewhat self-serious.

4. Princess Principal - A cute, stylish, and well-written period thriller. Every episode felt tightly plotted, and every character had hidden depths. It had a FANT

3. Konosuba S2 - In context, this is the funniest scene I have ever scene in an anime. Konosuba made me laugh and laugh, even on repeats. Every Konosuber is the worst.

2. Symphogear AZX.

Endorph posted:

Symphogear is the best anime ever made.

Symphogear is a riotous explosion of pure fun, an over-the-top candy-colored mess that constantly dances one step ahead of the insanity of it's own ambition. Symphogear feels like I remember Dragon Ball Z or Ranma 1/2 being; it's funny, it's emotional, it has a sense of scale and action that's out of this world. Best of all, Symphogear is completely uninterested in ironic detachment or posturing. It's not afraid of looking dumb, because it is busy being the coolest goddamn thing in the world. Symphogear thinks that sweet guitars and having your hair be blown dramatically in the wind by an explosion are cool, and you know what? It's right. Combine that with one of the most lovable casts of characters anywhere, a fantastic sense of audio design (it's not just the songs - listen to the sound effects, and surprisingly fantastic comedic chops, and you have a recipe for the best anime ever made.

AZX is the third best Symphogear. It crammed too many fights into each episode and fumbled Maria's subplot and the finale somewhat, but it has some of my favorite character moments and songs in the whole series. While I didn't love the alchemist trio as much as some other ADRTW goons, I thought they were interesting rivals, and I honestly loved Adam, who oozed smug disdain from every pore on his RIPPED BOD.

Objectively, Symphogear AZX may not be the second best anime of this season.
While the first and third seasons try to grapple with larger themes, Symphogear AZX is content to be pure escapism - or, to be less kind, Otaku bait. I don't want to drat it with faint praise by just listing the traps that is avoids, but unlike similar shows, and despite it's commitments to various kinds of fan-service, Symphogear maintains a respect for it's characters, it's world, and it's audience. Every character in Symphogear is a person, except for Adam, who's a real piece of poo poo.

Even so, I have spent so much time this year watching Symphogear, and it has brought me so much joy. Only Symphogear can make me shout "YES!" like an idiot even when I'm in severe pain. Symphogear thinks that love, music and emotional connections are good, and that the world should have more of those things, and also more giant explosions. I think that's worth celebrating.

1. Land of the Lustrous - I don't have much to add to what people said here, but the scene where Antarticite breaks apart made me cry. I know what it feels like to push your body until it breaks and have that still not be good enough. Every single thing about this show is :perfect: , except that there's not enough Dia.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 30, 2017

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
I am splitting my list between TV and movies because I feel weird about it.

Top 5 TV Anime
1. March comes in like a lion - Loved the manga and was a first a little hesitant that Shaft was handling it, but they handled the adaptation very well. This show makes me hungry for Japanese food.
2. Natsume's Book of Friends S6 - I hope for S7 coming soon
3. ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. - A good policital drama that is also feels super laid back. Also this is another show that makes me hungry due to the desserts.
4. Attack on Titan 2 - Improved from S1 with better pacing and probably the shorten season helps too
5. The Eccentric Family 2 - Really enjoyed this but the pacing and the disappointing ending made me think that season 1 was better

Honorable Mentions
6. Princess Principal - probably the most surprising for me when I first saw the season anime list but it ended being a thrill ride to watch and it is probably one of the better Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack for a while
7. Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond - the direction was not as good as season 1, but I enjoyed the supporting character focused episodes. Also enjoyed the last 2 episodes
8. New Game!! - liked season 1 and this was more of the same
9. Miss Kobayashi Maid Dragon - good comedy but marred by some of fan service
10. Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation - I like sports manga/anime and this was the only one this year that was good to me. I enjoyed the first 2 season and this one is good but below the previous two. I do find the pacing to be unbearable sometimes but that is the typical territory of shounen sports anime.

I may have put Welcome to the Ballroom in my honorable mentions if I have finished it. Will probably finish it sometime next year.

Top Movie
1. The Night is Short, Walk on Girl - I think Yuasa Masaaki may be one of my favorite directors
2. A Silent Voice - Not as good as the manga, but this was well animated and well done
3. your name. - Have never really been a Shinkai Makato fan, but this was really good
4. Blame! Movie - Really enjoyed the movie

Edit: You can ignore the movie list out of the overall standing as I know it does not make sense in the rules of the ranking in this thread.

psyer fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 30, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kytrarewn posted:

Can you be more clear about this? Are you actively discarding any vote with an "edited" tag, or just not going back to recount votes if someone had edited his post (which would have been nigh impossible if you're just adding tickmarks to an excel sheet or something).

I ask because I don't believe that I've changed my actual vote... but I have added additional content to my post and added names to by HM list, neither of which should affect your actual tally.

I started checking votes on 12/29, and I'm not going back to check for edited posts. I will make a compilation post as voting closes indicating which individual votes were not counted. And as always I will post the entire spreadsheet so you can check your individual scores to make sure I interpreted your votes correctly. My raw data is somewhat timestamped, to make sure no one tries to cheat and add more votes, etc.

Also all honorable mentions are being recorded just for curiosity, so they do affect the tally.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
1. My Hero Academia S2 - I'm not a huge shonen guy--and actually still hold a bit of a grudge from when OPM beat Shirobako in the 2015 version of this thread--but MHA does it very, very well. What's most impressive is the characterization; you could easily imagine half of dozen of these characters being the protagonists of other shows. Add good action and great pacing and it's my #1 pick for the year.
2. New Game S2
3. Demi-chan
4. Konosuba S2
5. Saga of Tanya the Evil

There are actually a few more things I'm watching now so if there's still time this list might change.

Also, two things that aren't "best of" but worth mentioning IMO: Just Because is an atmospheric romantic drama set during those last few weeks of high school; Nyanko Days is an extremely short CGDCT with talking cats (actually the "CG" here could be "cat girls"). If those are the kinds of things you would like, you'll probably like those shows. I did, anyway.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Also in general, if you used vote(s) on a movie feel free to add an "official" top 5 vote for something else instead if you want. None of the movies got enough votes to give it an exception, so they will be treated the same as unlisted/invalid series.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is fascism

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
1. Made in Abyss
2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
3. March Comes in like a Lion S1
4. Attack on Titan Season 2
5. Little Witch Academia

Honorable Mentions: My Hero Academia Season 2 , Owarimonogatari Season 2 , Konosuba Season 2, Kemono Friends, Inuyashiki

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

this is fascism
:cawg:

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
1. Konosuba: Pretty much one of my favourite anime comedies of all time, it took some drat funny source material and kicked it into the stratosphere with how amazing the VAs are

2. Princess Principal : I really didn't expect anything from the writeup blurb from the season but goddamn was that an amazingly well executed show.

3. New Game!! : Season 1 was pretty fun and pretty gay, Season 2 was funner and gayer.

4. Girls Last Tour : Sweet, fun and with some amazing worldbuilding, all done subtly and without ever distracting from the mini-story at hand. It also felt like it was exactly as long as it needed to be.

5. Little Witch Academia : Barely beat out Maidragon, I think both have their flaws for me (Maidragon has some moments that are offputting, usually because it's drawing from the source material, LWA sets up an amazing cast of characters that swiftly gets tossed aside, with some not even getting an episode in the sun like I was expecting), but LWA's polish really put it over the top.

Honorable Mentions:
Kobayashi-san no Maidragon: Almost made the list, it was heartfelt and genuinely entertaining most of the time.
Kemono Friends got bumped out by GLT (that was close too), I don't think I've ever seen an anime charm it's way past all of it's flaws quite like KF did.
Neto-Juu no Susume was missing something, but I couldnt figure out what.
Kino no Tabi was really cool, but like Neto-Juu it felt like it was missing something.
Demi-chan wa Kataritai was entertaining as hell and probably would have made the list in a less packed year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

this is fascism

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's right there in the OP that movies are fine if they're from this year!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please, won't someone think about the statisticians.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

No particular order:

Land of the Lustrous - Reasons apparent, unlike gender.
Little Witch Academia S2 - Watched S1 as well, but the Constanze episode was in S2 right? It's an INTJ thing...
Konosuba S2 - S2 managed to have even funnier bits than S1, which is a goddamn triumph.
A Sister's All You Need - Listen, I can't tell you that the trashy parts aren't exceptionally trashy, but the way this tilts into realtalk about creative process and recognition was on the mark.
Iron Blooded Orphans S2 - Jumped right up to S1's status when it got deathly serious in revealing a character's motivation, followed by "Are we the baddies?"

Honorable mention:
Saga of Tanya - I didn't finish it and I don't remember why.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't know if it counts since it technically came out in 2016 but In This Corner of the World is one of the two best movies I saw in 2017 and would get a vote from me if we did movies

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
ACCA - This is show is just great all around with lots of cool politics going on while everyone gushes about delicious bread.
Land of the Lustrous - I've been gushing about the manga for 2 years now, and the anime went above and beyond that.
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - It's good and I liked it a lot more than the first season

Love Live Sunshine s2 - Even knowing the general plot beats (though it still managed to throw lots of curveballs), this was a fantastic season all around as it gives characters who didn't get focus in the first season their chance in the spotlight while also pushing how Aqours is different from Muse. Also funny and cute as heck
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata ♭ - So this a contentious pick but this was just a nice surprise since I wasn't expecting a lot out of it, and it proceeded to exceed my expectations and became something I felt compelled to watch through all of cause it got its hooks in me. Its first season was ok if you're open to trashy fanservice camera shots along the lines of a Monogatari anime, since essentially its characters and writing ape Monogatari and SNAFU, while not quite being as deep as those two series. Season 1 basically just introduces the characters, and doesn't progress too much other than putting a bandage on some relationships. Where season 2 shines is basically ripping off that bandage, and digging into the titular boring girlfriend's stance in all this, since despite being the main heroine she was more of an observer in s1. The other girls also start to grow outside of their relationship to the main character, and I thought this actually ended up a very good show. I did warn you if any of you are allergic to lots of cheesecake shots though

Honorable Mentions

Stuff that could have easily been my #5 pick too
Eccentric Family 2 - It's good please watch it and the first season
Little Witch Academia - This is just a magical show that's just fun to watch. Its first half feels somewhat weaker but it drops a lot of plot crumbs that eventually come together to form the second half of the show.
New Game s2 - Please support Nene Quest, the best game of all time.

Other cool stuff
Gamers - fun silly romcom about people who happen to play games
MMO Junkie - also a fun silly romcom, only the people are somewhat less crazy about their relationships
Konosuba s2 - More konosuba is good
Owarimonogatari - It mostly finishes Araragi's character arc, so it's cool if you've been keeping up with it
Alice and Zourouku - Nice and fluffy show that managed to arrest its villain organization in the first 4 episodes, leaving the rest just being cute times with Alice and Gramps
Sakura Quest - This grew on me, but it never reached the heights of Shirobako or Hanasaku Iroha which it tried to succeed in.
Gabriel Dropout - Just a silly comedy of angels and devils hanging out being cute
Just Because - Nice coming of age drama that I really enjoyed a lot
Symphogear AXZ - SYMPHOGEAR IS THE BEST SHOW EVER

Yo did you know Classicaloid s1 actually ended in 2017, cause it totally did and its 2nd half is better than its first half, once it drops all pretense of trying to be educational and aims for something closer to Gintama. It doesn't quite reach those heights, but I had some laughs along the way.

Best short
Nobunaga no Shinobi - one of the best shorts of last year is still one of the best shorts of this year

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Srice posted:

It's right there in the OP that movies are fine if they're from this year!

I mean, you can vote for Cory in the House if you want and that's fine.

Ok, how about this: I will collect all the movies that got top5 votes along with their vote count just for reference, and if y'all think they got enough votes to matter I'll custom add them to the bottom of the valid shows list.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Like last time I've ranked all shows that I gave a 10/10 this year, with the top 5 being my votes:

1) March Comes In Like A Lion S1 - Bias is bias. The trials and tribulations of a semi-pro grinder and his interactions with his fellow competitors and the 1v1 game they all play strikes too close to home for me. Throw in some of the most heartfelt family relationships infused with brilliant character drama on top of a base not afraid to tackle the subjects of depression and self-esteem, all wrapped up in that value-added sleek Shaft style and we get the #1 show of 2017.

2) Kemono Friends - This is about to be a lot of words for the #2 show, but it truly deserves it. I had to contemplate this for a long time, but I finally figured out why Kemono Friends was so good, described by these 3 things that are core to anime:
  • Anime is not and was never about just looking good, i.e. trying to be a Disney/Pixar clone. It's about building an aesthetic, and doing the most with as little as possible. Sure the 3D is janky, but it has style and heart and they stick to their guns all the way through.
  • Anime is great because it is a multi-media experience. The fan-art, the music tributes, the videos, everything was simply incredible for this show.
  • This show reminds me that it's OK to just have fun with anime, to be entertained watching a bunch of fun characters do stuff.
All that alone would be more than enough to make my top 5 list, but it doesn't stop there. The zoo cross-promotional events were one thing, and sure it was cool to learn about the characters' real-life animal counterparts, but how about the saga of Grape-kun the otaku penguin wooing the cardboard cutout of Hululu? Has anything like that ever happened in the history of anime? Like, just read that again:

This show made a real life actual penguin fall in love with an anime penguin waifu until the day it died.

I still can't believe it when I think about it today, and the fact that it touched so many of our hearts that people still argue whether this waifu love was a good way for the old sick penguin to spend it's last days or whether the stress on being unable to woo her accelerated his death. Absolutely crazy.

And it's not even done there! The controversy of creator vs producer was certainly something, with the unfortunate outcome of any season 2 on such a goldmine being tossed in the dumpster, a baffling conflict of pride and capitalism for the public to watch. Since we're pretty sure that what we got is probably all we're going to get, we can look back at the magic that took place all in 2017 that was Kemono Friends. Like if that all wasn't enough to be one of the best animes of the year for me then I don't know what the gently caress.

3) Girls' Last Tour - Once again, aesthetic is king, as the minimalist style mashes with the wideface blobs to create a brilliant juxtaposition in this neat chilling chillax thought experiment on human extinction.

4) Land of the Lustrous - "Yet another" post-apocalyptic introspection with "janky looking cgi", but this show delivers off the strength of its world-building, characters, and almost hilarious attention to mineralogy details. As someone who has attended multiple gem and mineral conventions, I'm surprised I didn't watch this show as it aired, but I guess the hype and marketing about it didn't catch for me. Additionally, the front-loaded exposition was as dry as an over-cooked turkey.

But this show did some important science in the year 2017: we can talk all about characters and aesthetic and action scenes and such all we want,

but ultimately the only thing that matters is anime hair.

Because my God what a brilliant loving idea to leverage that jank 3D into absolutely stunning visual effects on each character's hair. I have a history with amethyst, having mined for them by hand at one point in my life, and the moment I saw Amethyst's hairstyle I knew I was ranking this show in my top 5, because seeing it for the first time immediately triggered complete thoughts and sensations of... well, amethyst. The hairstyle designs (in addition to all the character designs) are brilliant. And things just kept improving from there, as more animation (and plotlines) started becoming more fluid, to the point that I wondered if they created a customized physics engine just to produce this show. Package it together with top-class storyboarding, an incredibly effective blend of 2D and 3D, a well-deserved CGI grand prize, and a hilarious way to average 5.108 detached limbs per episode.

Also it sucks that the genderless discussion and the pronoun discussion had to be constantly rehashed, it really saps the energy out of the series. Sometimes I just closed my eyes to the subtitles and listened to the Japanese words because holy poo poo @ everyone.

Ironically, the above also made the show's exploration on what makes a human human even more interesting on yet another layer.

5) How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend .flat - Not trying to be a hipster for the sake of it, I swear! The ranking of this show surprised me too. This second installment builds off the first and delivers a fantastically juicy character drama with meta-comedy done the right way. The relationships were rich and complex, and the show never felt like it treated the viewer like they were an idiot, something that I value really highly.

6) Saga of Tanya the Evil - What an absolutely dumb premise, but wow was it executed almost flawlessly. Enough comedy when it needed to be funny (supplemented by the shorts after each episode), a pinch of philosophy edging the brink of edginess, mixed well with a good dose of batshit crazy military and magical antics to get the adrenaline rushing.

7) Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - Kyoto Animation does it again, taking above-average source material and turning it into gold. Obviously they had to compromise with the Lucoa stuff, but wow did they take care of business otherwise. Having both the OP and ED be so goddamn catchy was a sensory overload. Good gay dragon show.

8) Attack on Titan Season 2 - This followup season was very good, and I even liked it more than the first season (LOTS of the shounen bullshit and pacing were trimmed to much leaner levels). It's just too bad it came out like 2.5 years late after the hype died.

9) Sagrada Reset - Props to David Production for stepping out of their JoJo money-printing wheelhouse to try and produce this school mystery supernatural drama, and it worked. Using two inherently boring main characters without letting it be actually boring to watch was double the difficulty, make that quadruple with all the timeline/time travel antics. But SaeKano was just better imho.

Honorable Mention: 12 series this year got a 9/10 from me; rather than point them out I'll give a mention to the only one that has not been mentioned so far:
Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun - A fun comedy about our soccer star who just wants things to be clean. It is baffling and amazing that they stretched this concept across 12 episodes and made it consistently funny throughout.

Best movie:
1) Your Name - No explanation needed. Worth the theater ticket.

2) Kizumonogatari III - I'm no -monogatari fan, but this 3rd installment to this series was a brilliant spectacle. Everything good about the series is amped up to 11, and everything bad about the series is minimized or just not part of the movie. Good job Shaft, this was an incredible watch, with one of the most interesting and fun final battles I've ever seen.

Remember this for this next year's vote:
1) March Comes in like a Lion S2 - obviously. But if they make Land of the Lustrous S2 or Made in Abyss S2 I will watch those shows weekly.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu posted:

1. Land of the Lustrous
2. Girls' Last Tour
3. Little Witch Academia
4. Made in Abyss
5. New Game!!

Because I edited I guess whatever
1. Land of the Lustrous
2. Girls' Last Tour
3. Little Witch Academia
4. Made in Abyss
5. New Game!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, I only completed 5 series this year so :effort:

1. Recovery of an MMO Junkie - Really well done, and I'm not one for rom-coms at all.
2. Girls' Last Tour - Adorable and cute and really relaxing.
3. Land of the Lustrous - Fell because of the ending feeling incomplete (though understandable). Good otherwise.
4. Symphogear AXZ - A show that knows exactly what it is and gives you exactly what you want.
5. Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero S2 - Still very much drama heavy with good twists.

Dishonorable mention:
Two Car - Heavily formulaic, or, "partners have a spat, then they resolve it and all is good!" Rinse repeat FOR EVERY TEAM. Bleh. Sidecar racing is cool, and while it is CGDCoolT, it very much was repetitive and could have done more to focus on the technical aspects of it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the poster counting the votes made invalid votes... wild...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they also correctly voted #1 for March Lion so I hope there's some good Collusion

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

I started checking votes on 12/29, and I'm not going back to check for edited posts. I will make a compilation post as voting closes indicating which individual votes were not counted. And as always I will post the entire spreadsheet so you can check your individual scores to make sure I interpreted your votes correctly. My raw data is somewhat timestamped, to make sure no one tries to cheat and add more votes, etc.

Also all honorable mentions are being recorded just for curiosity, so they do affect the tally.

AnacondaHL posted:

Also in general, if you used vote(s) on a movie feel free to add an "official" top 5 vote for something else instead if you want. None of the movies got enough votes to give it an exception, so they will be treated the same as unlisted/invalid series.

You add too many rules to this.

Just count the nominations as they are and if it means something from 1995 wins the 2017 anime of the year, so be it, it meant 2017 sucked.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Homura and Sickle posted:

the poster counting the votes made invalid votes... wild...

This is technically true, since the list of shows to vote for only includes "Land of the Lustruous" but my spellchecker changed it to "Land of the Lustrous".

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

(click prior to reading this post)

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You add too many rules to this.

Just count the nominations as they are and if it means something from 1995 wins the 2017 anime of the year, so be it, it meant 2017 sucked.

actually sometimes

rules are good

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

rules for an anime popularity contest that aren't actively being explained to the people voting and are only going to inform the people who have broken them long after they probably care to fix them with arbitrary disqualifications for movies or whatever

are not the good type of rules.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

5) Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon
A great adaptation of a questionable manga.

4) KonoSuba (S2)
The timing is perfect and everyone is poo poo.

3) Love Live Sunshine (S2)
Continues to build off the tropes of the original Love Live in a more developed and relatable way.

2) Shouwa Genroku Raguko etc. (S2)
Enough's been said about this already.

1) Made in Abyss
The first two thirds of the season were lovely, the last third was brutal. It's a shame about all the naked children.

Honorables:
Gabriel Dropout
Youjo Senki
Kemono Friends
Sakura Quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

as i understand it, the movie votes are still being counted so I'm not sure what the problem is

• Locked thread