Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Lots of good shows I didn't have the time to watch this year, I'll just stick with the ones I completed...

1. Mahoujin Guruguru. A fun, FUN and cute romp of the sort you seem to see very little of these days. Made Tuesdays the most fun day. WATCH THIS PEOPLE

2. MMO Junkie. Probably not a great show on paper, but kept impressing me with its warmth and charm. In the trifecta of this, Welcome to the NHK and Watamote, it definitely forms the optimistic counterpoint. People in MMO are supportive and nice, and online activities help you sort through your issues.

3. Maidragon. Unlike the previous two, it is absolutely no surprise I was gonna love this and I did. Kyoani does it again.

The top three are super easy, the rest... Hmm

4. Eccentric Family 2. Frankly this was a little disappointing. My big issue with it is Benten - I like the character, I like the mystery of her, but the mystery is getting too drawn out to the extent that I'm not sure if we can get a satisfying answer. Still, some really standout episodes.

5. Little Witch Academia. The other disappointment. I was expecting something less episodic and a lot of the individual stories felt formulaic and unmemorable. Still, that episode with the fish was pretty good.

WORST SHOW:

Welcome to the Ballroom. Other shows might be badly made or whatever. That's nothing. Someone died making this utterly mediocre show.

Virgin Soul is pretty good if you watch the first half of it, stop, and then imagine the rest.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

guru guru didn't get a high enough score

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

actually wait, let me use STATISTICS.

Well, now it's clear to see.

2017 was a year which was dominated by one question: how much did you like Magical Circle Guru. On the one side you had the Cool People, led by me, Fangz and a few others. On the other you have those behind the ACCA-Landlust line, which can only stare enviously at those with good taste in anime. We should not hate these pathetic wretches, only pity them, for they have not seen the glory of kukuri and juju and the buttsword and the naked dancing old men.

Let us throw them a bone and pretend we live in some awful wretched universe where Guruguru wasn't even in the top 10.

In that disgusting, sickening nightmare, forum users are mainly divided, in the horizontal axis, by what I'd call the Anime Strike Axis. On the left hand side you have the good and pure Crunchyrolls, and the on the right you have the hostages of the Amazon machine, which I suppose everyone on the right paid to watch legitimately because lol. The Crunchyroll side has two main groups of anime - the drama shows with adults, like Rakugo, ACCA, March..., and the you have the lighter more comedic shows, like Konosuba, MMO Junkie, Dragon maid. (The y-axis is probably a measure of grimdarkness or something, which checks out from what I hear of Rakugo.)

Anime strike had four main shows: Landlust, Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, Girl's Last Tour, with the last two fairly correlated in appeal.

As always, simplifying somewhat, people close to you on this are probably similar in taste, though the amazon-strike thing probably makes this year a little less meaningful than before.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 23, 2018

• Locked thread