Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
What a year!

5. ACCA 13 - I had no clue what to expect going into this show other than stylish character designs, but what I got was an incredibly unique little chill-as-gently caress political thriller. This show could have ruined itself by giving up the plot goods too early, but the "reveal" somehow still caught me off guard despite the hints being present. The real surprise was that it didn't just sloppily devolve from there, but continued to progress to an interesting conclusion. The art was really cool and stylish, both for the characters and the drool-inducing food (where can I buy bread like that holy poo poo), and we even got a very cute gay ship along with the rest of this charming package.

4. Kemono Friends - I watched the first two episodes out of morbid curiosity when I heard that it was some really janky 3DCG attempting to pass as an anime with a ludicrous premise. And then I watched the rest because it turns out that lovely 3D doesn't matter when the studio puts this much heart into their show. Friends friends friends friends friends friends friends friends friends friends.

3. Little Witch Academia - Easily my favorite Trigger show (sorry Matoi!), LWA TV took some characters from the OVAs in different, and in my opinion better, directions. Every episode was a visual treat, and most of the comedy really hit the mark for me. The plot wasn't super complex, but it was surprisingly decent for a kids' show. Which reminds me - yes this is actually a kids' show, and that's great! Toss LWA at your normie friends, parents, nieces and nephews, whoever, and they'll probably love it too! The whole cast was always a lot of fun, and while the more stand-alone episodes throughout the middle of the series were probably the show's weakest point, they were still mostly great. The last few episodes really knocked it out of the park with the animation, giving me that "holy poo poo this is jaw-droppingly over the top" feeling that only rare things like Gurren Lagann and One Punch Man tend to invoke.

2. March Comes in like a Lion S1 - The source material has been one of my very favorite manga for a long time now, so when the anime adaptation by SHAFT was announced I was both nervous and excited. Any fears I had have been absolutely blown away by this outstanding adaptation of one of, if not the very best ongoing character drama series. Rei's slow growth out of tragedy and isolation and self-loathing into a Real Boy is one of the most heartwarming tales ever put into anime form, and the accompanying stories of the supporting cast are just as great in their own right. SHAFT has outdone themselves with regards to the high quality of animation and direction all while sticking to the excellent source material like glue, for which I'm very thankful. Don't be scared away by the shogi, this is a beautiful bittersweet story about people growing together and becoming family.

1. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju S2 - It's a rare treat to see such masterful and touching storytelling in any artistic medium. This show is seriously a masterpiece, and it wrenched my emotions all over the place across its grand scope of nine decades. The characters are so wonderfully written, so very realistic and human and flawed and amazing, that I can't imagine anyone would fail to be moved by their stories. The directing and cohesiveness of the writing make the whole thing feel like one big movie, and the rakugo performances continuously dazzled me (the VAs deserve bouquets of roses thrown at them for every single one! Wow!). Please watch Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju!

Honorable mentions:

I enjoyed a ton of other shows this year, especially, and in no particular order: Girls Last Tour, Made in Abyss, New Game S2, Owarimonogatari S2, Kino's Journey (but the original is still better), MHA S2, and Maid Dragon (I thought it would be utter trash, but it was only like 15% trash so thanks Kyoani).

Shows that I know I absolutely still need to watch and I'm sorry I haven't made time for yet:

Land of the Lustrous, Mahoujin Guruguru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

dogsicle posted:

i don't believe it but i also question the need to give it that place in the story. yakumo was sufficiently complicated and that element didn't need to introduced, especially as some posthumous stinger.

That's my take on it as well. It doesn't seem to be needed or to make the story more interesting so I don't know why it's there, but at least there's no confirmation and it doesn't stop the show from being my favorite of the year (although it was really hard to decide between Rakugo and 3-gatsu).

• Locked thread