Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
ACCA - This is show is just great all around with lots of cool politics going on while everyone gushes about delicious bread.
Land of the Lustrous - I've been gushing about the manga for 2 years now, and the anime went above and beyond that.
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - It's good and I liked it a lot more than the first season

Love Live Sunshine s2 - Even knowing the general plot beats (though it still managed to throw lots of curveballs), this was a fantastic season all around as it gives characters who didn't get focus in the first season their chance in the spotlight while also pushing how Aqours is different from Muse. Also funny and cute as heck
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata ♭ - So this a contentious pick but this was just a nice surprise since I wasn't expecting a lot out of it, and it proceeded to exceed my expectations and became something I felt compelled to watch through all of cause it got its hooks in me. Its first season was ok if you're open to trashy fanservice camera shots along the lines of a Monogatari anime, since essentially its characters and writing ape Monogatari and SNAFU, while not quite being as deep as those two series. Season 1 basically just introduces the characters, and doesn't progress too much other than putting a bandage on some relationships. Where season 2 shines is basically ripping off that bandage, and digging into the titular boring girlfriend's stance in all this, since despite being the main heroine she was more of an observer in s1. The other girls also start to grow outside of their relationship to the main character, and I thought this actually ended up a very good show. I did warn you if any of you are allergic to lots of cheesecake shots though

Honorable Mentions

Stuff that could have easily been my #5 pick too
Eccentric Family 2 - It's good please watch it and the first season
Little Witch Academia - This is just a magical show that's just fun to watch. Its first half feels somewhat weaker but it drops a lot of plot crumbs that eventually come together to form the second half of the show.
New Game s2 - Please support Nene Quest, the best game of all time.

Other cool stuff
Gamers - fun silly romcom about people who happen to play games
MMO Junkie - also a fun silly romcom, only the people are somewhat less crazy about their relationships
Konosuba s2 - More konosuba is good
Owarimonogatari - It mostly finishes Araragi's character arc, so it's cool if you've been keeping up with it
Alice and Zourouku - Nice and fluffy show that managed to arrest its villain organization in the first 4 episodes, leaving the rest just being cute times with Alice and Gramps
Sakura Quest - This grew on me, but it never reached the heights of Shirobako or Hanasaku Iroha which it tried to succeed in.
Gabriel Dropout - Just a silly comedy of angels and devils hanging out being cute
Just Because - Nice coming of age drama that I really enjoyed a lot
Symphogear AXZ - SYMPHOGEAR IS THE BEST SHOW EVER

Yo did you know Classicaloid s1 actually ended in 2017, cause it totally did and its 2nd half is better than its first half, once it drops all pretense of trying to be educational and aims for something closer to Gintama. It doesn't quite reach those heights, but I had some laughs along the way.

Best short
Nobunaga no Shinobi - one of the best shorts of last year is still one of the best shorts of this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

littleorv posted:

My hipster vote for zaregoto stays!

Wonder how long it'll take before people watch it like they did Katanagatari

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm watching this now and it's really good. If it sticks the landing it might replace Katanagatari as my favorite Nisio Isin thing.

e: it didn't stick the landing. the ending isn't BAD but it focused far too much on the mystery (who gives a poo poo) instead of the vastly more interesting relationship between the two main characters

Yeah there’s a lot of implied history that isn’t delved into yet, like the fact that the two of them even have experience with dead bodies. For an intro to the series, I think it does a fair job of establishing their relationship and characters, and even progressing their relationship within that one volume. But yeah, its story is spread over several mysteries, so its more akin to monogatari in that regard. It even has the same kind of mysterious backstory that’s alluded to, but not covered in the first volume.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Expect My Mom posted:

you would think it would be easy to find my long dumb name on charts

you'd be wrong

could you make this into a mcdonalds triangle so i can understand (thank you tho)

You merged with Cake Attack and are neighbors with Erg

• Locked thread