Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I also did not finish much this year, but here are the five I remember having finished, roughly ranked.

1. ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department As Gorf said everything about it was incredibly well executed, and I still listen to the soundtrack at work, my favorite being the song that plays during the next episode previews. I will disagree in that I think it ended as it should have. It's a slow show but keeps tension the whole way through, and is absolutely worth watching. It's also a defense of the devoted rank and file people in a bureaucracy.

2. Recovery of an MMO Junkie Only barely edged out by ACCA for me as a recommendation, but I'm at an age and place in life where this show landed incredibly hard for me. Moriko is an incredibly relateable protagonist with problems that are not heavy drama but pretty ordinary. The show neither solely praises nor judges her retreat into NEETdom and an MMO, but shows the good that's coming from what social interactions she's having there and how it helps her return to the real world rather than running away into escapism (but without suggesting that she should ditch her MMO). It's definitely a good pick-me-up and has adorable 30ish year old teenagers. The greatest crime is that the OVA episode teases what a second season might have been, but the source material is on effectively permanent hiatus.

3. New Game season 2 While the first season was about meeting the characters and Aoba taking her first steps among an established cast who know what they are doing, season 2 shows those characters growing into new responsibilities and their own personal and professional anxieties like failure and rejection and fear of being exposed as a fraud. For a kinda fanservicey CGDCT show its portrayals are still relateable.

4. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid A great adaptation that stays true to the source material (for better or worse in some cases that may be too much for some to get past) while also transforming it into a cute story about family and love. How Kobayashi is changed by the new people in her life is fun to watch, and really driven home by some of the added material.

5. Symphogear AXZ Not the greatest season of Symphogear, but it's still Symphogear and has some great action scenes and an even more over the top opening than last season. Looking forward to season 5.

I still need to finish Girls' Last Tour and Land of the Lustrous, but I'm sure they'd be on this list and don't need my votes. Please watch ACCA and MMO Junkie.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What about Jean and Nino?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am apparently nearest to Konosuba, a show I have not watched.

• Locked thread