Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
1: Land of the Lustrous
My girlfriend had started reading the manga about a month before this came out and told me good things, so I was expecting good things, but this show just completely blew me away. The camera work and motion were just phenomenal all the way through, Phos' personal journey is engaging and bewildering, and the whole world is mysterious and unusual in a way I haven't seen in a while. I adored everything about Land of the Lustrous and will recommend it for years to come.

2: Girls' Last Tour
A neat, cozy little show about driving a tank through the apocalypse. This show is dark and somber, but never loses its glimmer of hope, which makes it feel earnest in a way I really love. Girls' Last Tour is going to be a show I recommend for life.

3: My Hero Academia Season 2
All the goodness of the manga, with none of the pacing issues of season 1. This season covered some really good arcs, and they went all in on animating some of the most spectacular moments.

4: Little Witch's Academia
Cute witches having fun in a well animated, action packed world. I enjoyed the adventure.

5: Made In Abyss
I loved this series for a lot of the same reasons I loved Land of the Lustrous, but it didn't do it quite as well, and there's that weird aura that comes with a series where children get naked a lot on camera that makes this show impossible to ever suggest to anyone. In spite of that, it was a really good adventure story with some dark tones that was written well, which is not common at all, so it still makes my list. But only barely - both LotL and Girls' Last Tour hit a lot of the same notes, but significantly better and without that creep factor, which is why both of those rank much higher on my list.

Honorable mentions go to nothing, because while I watched like 5 other shows this year, I didn't enjoy any of them nearly as much as I enjoyed anything else on this list. I found ACCA boring, Juuni Taisen was a trainwreck past episode 4, Urahara was a pacing nightmare, and Magus Bride plays it so safe I just kinda bounced off of it.

Good year for anime overall, though, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread