Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
1. Rakugo2 Finally finished it recently after having fallen off of watching it during the season in which it aired. Funny, happy, tragic, beautiful... clearly the best show of the year in every way. I didn't think it was as good as Season 1, but still better than anything else that I watched.
2.Uchouten Kazoku 2
3. Sagrada Reset
4. Made in Abyss
5. Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism

HM: Lustrous, ACCA, Rokudenashi, Love Tyrant (Best OP of the year, too), Guruguru, Gamers, Owarimonogatari, Seiren, Youjitsu, Sukasuka, Maidragon, Demi-chan, Gabriel Dropout, Masamune-kun's Revenge, Kuzu no Honkai.

Best thread of the year: Attack on Titan 2. No spoilers that I, at least, saw, and watching it alongside a bunch of other goons as we learned things about the world and characters made for the show being a much better experience than it might have been on my own.

Really, the ranks after the first two (including moving between top 5 and HM) can easily change based on the particular moment I happen to be typing, but for me Eccentric2 and Rakugo2 stood head and shoulders over everything else this year. Note: I have not watched MarchLion past like season1ep8, but based on response that will likely be one of the things I work on in 2018, since it seems like many people feel that it's another of the year's standouts.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

AnacondaHL posted:

There are lots of invalid votes too. Please make a new post to make a correction if desired, as opposed to editing your original, tia.

Can you be more clear about this? Are you actively discarding any vote with an "edited" tag, or just not going back to recount votes if someone had edited his post (which would have been nigh impossible if you're just adding tickmarks to an excel sheet or something).

I ask because I don't believe that I've changed my actual vote... but I have added additional content to my post and added names to by HM list, neither of which should affect your actual tally.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

AnacondaHL posted:

I dug the first season and every character, could barely stomach 3 episodes of the 2nd. YMMV.

I hinted at this in my own post (in which I called Rakugo the best show of the year, hands-down), but I actually put it on hold after the first two or three episodes, because it didn't grab me.

It gets much, much better. Still not as good as S1, IMO, but definitely great.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I somehow thought I was the only person who put HnK on my HMs list but not ranked, but it seems that there were 13 others.

I think I might still be the only one to put MiA on my list in favor of it, though.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol I didn't watch anything in the top ten. And I'd still consider 2017 the strongest year for anime I can remember. Just a lot of really solid shows came out last year

I kinda disagree with this. I see your point, there were a lot of very good shows. On the other hand, the show that I considered to be the standout best of the year (Rakugo2) was in my, and most others whose replies I saw, opinion strictly inferior to its predecessor. I feel the same way about Eccentric Family 2, the second highest-ranked show on my list.

I'm not going to make a stupid comment suggesting that "If they made more low-effort trash instead of very solid shows we could see more masterpieces", nor am I going to claim that one good show and a lot of dross is preferable in any way to what we got...but in 5 years time, I can see myself looking back at, say, 2015 (Death Parade, Saekano, Durarara2, Oregairu2, Soma1, Punch Line, Shimoneta, Gakkougurashi, Gatchaman Insight, Noragami2, Owarimonogatari1) more nostalgically than I can 2017.

We'll see how I feel about 2017 in 2020, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Crunchyroll's being surprisingly magnanimous about allowing Amazon's licenses (And even netflix) into their little survey there. They also went so far as to post an article suggesting people watch HnK at some point during the last season.

I'm impressed.

• Locked thread