Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I didn't get around to watching as many series as I would have liked this year. I still watched 5 series that I mostly enjoyed, though.

5. The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star

Note that this refers to the 3 prologue episodes, not the still-ongoing "real" first season. It has some interesting fairy-tale-ish elements and explains why Chise has such a death wish at the beginning of the main series, but it doesn't tell a complete enough story to be placed higher; the main series will likely place higher on my 2018 list. There are also a few dull bits.

4. Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys

Has a likable protagonist, and the fight scenes generally looked good to me, but feels a little too slight to be placed higher. I was expecting an ending where the protagonist finds the courage to admit her secret to her friends, but it never came.

3. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Usually silly, occasionally dull, and even occasionally in poor taste, but it has heart. Kanna is adorable, Kobayashi is relatable, and the other characters' weirdness sometimes got a laugh out of me.

2. Centaur's Worries

I've said before that I'm not quite sure what to make of this show, which might be part of why I like it. It doesn't try to stick to a consistent tone - and why should it? It's depicting an entire world to some extent, and the real world doesn't have a consistent tone either. I'm not entirely sure what the creators' attitude is toward the society depicted, but I think the point is not so much to praise or condemn it as to explore how such a diverse society would almost have to work.

1. My Hero Academia Season 2

A good adaptation of a strong part of the manga. Seems to have conquered the pacing problems that occasionally dragged down the first season.

Way too many honorable mentions for shows I would like to have watched, but haven't gotten around to, either due to lack of time or because they were on Anime Strike:
  • ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department
  • Attack on Titan Season 2
  • Fate/Apocrypha
  • Land of the Lustruous
  • Made in Abyss
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
  • Princess Principal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Anime Awards nominees are up!

http://www.theanimeawards.com/#nominees

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Agronox posted:

Kind of funny seeing Kukuri nominated for "Best Hero." She wouldn't think she's the best hero even in her own show...

And Kemono Friends as "Best Slice of Life" is odd.

While there are a couple odd choices (for example, Land of the Lustrous is nominated for a lot of things, but not Best Drama), I think they're generally better-chosen than last year's; there's nothing as jarring as Satoru and Kayo from ERASED as a Best Couple nominee.

• Locked thread