Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So this year was the first year in over 10 years that I've really sat down and felt like watching anime. I am happy this year was so stellar, because it definitely got me hooked again. That said, I've probably seen a lot less anime than most people here, so keep that in mind :sun:

1) Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen: This pretty much takes the cake for me. Gorgeous art, an absolutely phenomenal story that somehow managed to match and at times top the first season, wonderfully developed and interesting characters, and a cool use of the Rakugo art form in an anime, Rakugo manages to tell a heart-wrenching drama with a perfect mix of plot and comedic relief to keep things from getting too heavy. If there is a best anime of all time discussion, Rakugo deserves to be in the discusson.

2) Land of the Lustrous: I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said. Beautiful, unique, and intriguing, LoL has an amazing soundtrack, interesting characters, and runs the gauntlet of every emotion a story can give. I can't wait to see more (let's be real, there will be more). This and Rakugo I think are a step above any other anime this year, and above most anime period.

3) Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans S2: This season started a bit rough, with it almost feeling like the second season was made just because the first was so popular. However, it really starts to pick up after a bit and just goes absolutely deep into the misery and depressing nature of child soldiers in space. They have no home, and the only thing they know is war, so they keep fighting. The last few episodes were gut-wrenching, and seeing characters that were built up over both seasons be killed so unceremoniously was miserable (in a good way).

4) Recovery of an MMO Junkie: This really hit home for me, maybe based on the age of the characters? Moriko feels like a typical person, and the way she copes with things over time as a result of getting into the MMO felt very similar to my experience with MMOs. It is cute, sweet, not overly dramatic or judgemental, and just an all-around feel good and relatable experience.

5) Restaurant to Another World: I don't expect to see this on many top lists, but I enjoyed it for what it was. In a year where I was drawn to dramatic and stressful anime, Restaurant really was a great palette cleanser. Cute, colorful, and relaxing, it's the kind of anime you can just breeze through an episode and feel great about the experience. I was smiling my whole way through the series, and could probably watch it forever as a mellow anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
man going back over the list of anime I am like "poo poo there were some good anime I didn't put on my list what the heck"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - Honestly this one just fell from top spot because I really disliked the implications of the tail end, and wonder why they had to be included at all.

I was genuinely pissed off with the implication made at the end and really wish they hadn’t done it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean we all know Land of the Lustrous is going to win this year

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No one votes and the anime of the year is Dragonball Super

• Locked thread