Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

1. Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous : Visually, the most captivating anime I watched this year. Gorgeous use of CG, fascinating world-building, delightful characterization, excellent voice work and music, intriguing plot all wrapped around a bittersweet motif of how, when trying to find your place in the world, the world can (literally) break you apart and put you back together in ways you never imagined. This one definitely checked all the boxes for me.

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju : I was all in on this one after the first season. This continuation, in my opinion, eclipsed the first part and the first season was already outstanding. Also, it was nice to see a show have enough confidence to tell its' story at its' own pace.

3. Demi-chan wa Kataritai/Interviews With Monster Girls : Dorky monster girls and their dorky teachers. I don't expect this one to be on a lot of lists, but it really resonated with me. An episodic anime that never lost sight that the titular Monster Girls were girls first and "monsters" second, with a very sweet message that inclusion of those considered different tends to enrich the lives of all parties. Also, sensei wins the award for "Best Arms".

4. Princess Principal : Loved the style, loved the characters, especially Dorothy and Beatrice, loved the music. I need more Steampunk Spy Girls in my life.

5. Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou /Girls' Last Tour : Not much more to be said about this one that hasn't already been said. A story, both melancholy and hopeful, of two best friends always moving forward in their journey even if they are not quite sure what their destination is. Also with the message that mushroom cats make the best companions.

Honorable Mentions

ACCA, Konosuba Season 2, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, MMO Junkie, Made in Abyss, Tsuki ga Kirei

This was a good year for anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread