Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

1)Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans Season 2: The first half of season 2 was kind of... softball, I thought. The show backed off from the implications of the plot at the last minute in the first season finale, and since then the show hadn't killed off anyone important. Even the arc about pointless loss and death had a glorified extra get two episodes of buildup for the death rather than kill off any of the regular leads.

Then 2017 hit, and Iron Blooded Orphans realized it had to pick up the pace if it wanted to beat Victory in the child soldier misery sweeps.

I'm not claiming it was anywhere near a perfect show, but it went places I didn't expect, did its best to consider some interesting questions, and had some pretty good fights. If you want brutal violence and serious attempts to consider the nature of inequality, you could do worse.

2) Konosuba Season 2: Speaking of doing worse at examining social issues...

Honestly, it felt like Konosuba didn't even try! It was just a show about a small group of idiots and/or weirdos repeatedly loving up and creating more and more disasters while claiming they were trying to save the world. Fortunately, that was exactly what it needed to be.

Darkness was pervier, Aqua was dumber, Megumin was more explosive happy, and Kazuma was even better at walking the line between scumbag and the only sane person on the show. Plus, we got Vanir. Good times.

3) My Hero Academia Season 2: Like usual for MHA, it covered the basics, but it did them very, very well. The anime original content added rather than detracted, the voices and animation were solid, and the pacing was good. Compare it to something like Black Clover, and My Hero looks even better.

4) Little Witch Academia: The overarcing plot could have been better handled, and it needed more Sucy, but yeah. Solid Trigger fun.

5)Kino's Journey: Never seen the first anime or read the book, so I can't offer a verdict there, but
for what it was, I enjoyed it. Weird countries, a gunslinging protagonist who just wanted to play tourist (and who'd bring hell down on anyone who insisted on making a fight anyway), and a talking motorcycle usually made for a nice show to watch.

Of course, all this comes with a gigantic asterisk for the place marker, since I saw Your Name in theaters this year, and it pretty much crushes everything else on the list like a bug under a steamroller. That's a really good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eela6 posted:

This chart tells me I should watch girls last tour

And that I didn't watch any of the serious anime for serious people

I recommend noted serious person anime Konosuba.

It covers topics like religious strife and the complexities of human relationships with the depth and subtlety that marks truly great art.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

I am apparently nearest to Konosuba, a show I have not watched.

It's a show about garbage people continuously making their lives into more of a disaster area and sometimes succeeding despite themselves.

So, that kind of explains it, I suppose.

• Locked thread