Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:siren::siren:The last day to vote is Friday, January 12th. Posts after 12am CST on January 13th will not be counted.:siren::siren:

This feels like one of the strongest years in anime in a long while, so good luck making your shortlist! The usual rules apply:

Rules:
- Pick up to 5 series from the list.
- Rank them if you want. I feel like it's more interesting when people do, but it's totally optional.
- Write something about your choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I added more exclamation points this year, so you better do it.
- Feel free to discuss picks, but don't be a prick.

If you notice anything missing that finished this year, let me know so I can update the list accordingly. I did purposely ignore some stuff like Beyblade b/c I don't suppose anyone here watches it (if it even has subs), and some split-cour shows have been collapsed into a single list entry. Movies/OVAs are in kind of a gray area but I did include some OVA series that concluded this year and I know some high profile movies actually got subs within their release year...so feel free to throw in votes for those. I also wrote the list like last week, so if anything on it is unclear just ask and I'll try to figure out what I meant at the time.

code:
100% Teacher Pascal
18if
ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
Aho Girl
Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends
Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
Akiba's Trip The Animation
Alice & Zouroku
All Out!
Altair: A Record of Battles
Angel's 3Piece!
Animegataris
Anonymous Noise
Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Arc
Armed Girls' Machiavellianism
A Sister's All You Need.
Atom: The Beginning
Attack on Titan: Lost Girls
Attack on Titan Season 2
BanG Dream!
Battle Girl High School
Beast in the Skirt
Berserk 2nd Season
Blend S
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
Cardfight!! Vanguard G: Next
Centaur's Worries
Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas
Chaos;Child
Chii's Sweet Adventure
Children of the Whales
Chiruran 1/2
Chronos Ruler
Cinderella Girls Gekijou
Classicaloid
Classroom of the Elite
Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun
Clione no Akari
Clockwork Planet
Code:Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~
Convenience Store Boyfriends
Danmachi: Sword Oratoria
Dia Horizon
Dies Irae
Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters
Dive!!
Dream Festival! R
Dynamic Chord
eiDLIVE
Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
Eromanga-sensei
Evil or Live
Fastest Finger First
Fate/Apocrypha
Fireball Humorous
Forest Fairy Five
Frame Arms Girl
Future Card Buddyfight Triple D
Fuuka
Gabriel Dropout
Gamers!
Gintama.
Gintama.: Porori-hen
Girls' Last Tour
Glamorous Heroes
Granblue Fantasy The Animation
Grimoire of Zero
Gundam Build Fighters: Battlogue
Hand Shakers
Hell Girl: Fourth Twilight
Heybot!
Himouto! Umaru-chan R
Hinako Note
Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic
Hitorijime My Hero
How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend .flat
Hozuki's Coolheadedness 2nd Season
ID-0
Idol Incidents
IDOLiSH7
Ikemen Sengoku: Bromances Across Time
In Another World With My Smartphone
Infini-T Force
Interviews with Monster Girls
Inuyashiki
Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor
Just Because!
Juuni Taisen: Zodiac Wars
Kabuki-bu!
KADO: The Right Answer
Kaito x Ansa
Kakegurui
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Kemono Friends
Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys
King's Game The Animation
Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series
Kirakira Precure A La Mode
Knight's & Magic
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Konohana Kitan
KonoSuba 2
Kyoukai no Rinne 3rd Season
Land of the Lustruous
Laughing Salesman NEW
Little Witch Academia
Long Riders!
Love and Lies
Love Is Like A Cocktail
Love Kome: We Love Rice
Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season
Love Tyrant
Made in Abyss
Magical Circle Guru Guru
Makeruna!! Aku no Gundan!
March Comes In Like A Lion S1
Marginal #4 The Animation
Masamune-kun's Revenge
Minami Kamakura High School Girls' Cycling Club
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
Mobile Suit Gundam: Twilight Axis
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd Season
Monster Strike The Anime 2nd Season
My First Girlfriend is a Gal
My Girlfriend is Shobitch
My Hero Academia Season 2
Natsume's Book of Friends Season 6
Netsuzou TRap
New Game!!
Ninja Girl and Samurai Master
Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat
Nyanbo!
Nyanko Days
Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyoki na, Mondaiji.
One Room
Onihei
Our Love Has Always Been 10 Centimeters Apart.
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Piacevole: My Italian Cooking
Pikotarou's Lullaby La La Bye
Please Take My Brother Away
Princess Principal
PriPara
PriPri Chii-chan!!
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Re:Creators
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Reikenzan: Eichi e no Shikaku
Restaurant to Another World
Rewrite 2nd Season
RoboMasters the Animated Series
Room Mate
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Sagrada Reset
Saiyuuki Reload Blast
Sakura Quest
Schoolgirl Strikers: Animation Channel
Scum's Wish
Seiren
Sengokuchojugiga
Sengoku Night Blood
Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ
Seven Mortal Sins
Shokugeki no Soma: 3rd Plate
Shonen Ashibe: Go! Go! Goma-chan
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
Souryo to Majiwaru Shikiyoku no Yoru ni...
Starmyu 2nd Season
SukaSuka
Super Lovers 2
Taisho Mebiusline: Chicchai-san
Tales of Zestiria the X
Teekyuu 9
The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star
The Eccentric Family 2
The iDOLM@STER SideM
The Reflection
The Royal Tutor
The Silver Guardian
The World YAMIZUKAN
Tiger Mask W
Time Bokan 24
Tomica Hyper Rescue Drive Head: Mobile Emergency Police
Trickster
Tsugumomo
Tsuki ga Kirei
Tsukipro The Animation
Tsurezure Children
Twin Angel Break
Twin Star Exorcists
Two Car
UQ Holder
Urahara
Urara Meirochou
Vatican Miracle Examiner
Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou
Welcome to the Ballroom
Yamishibai 4th Season
Yamishibai 5th Season
Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation
YuGiOh Arc-V
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Hero Chapter
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Washio Sumi Chapter

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad we got gorf to finish acca

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

Rakugo and Owari so far tied in last place with zero votes. ADTRW declaring unanimously: gently caress stories.

i think after the fourth season of gatari people should probably have resigned themselves to it getting few to no votes by virtue of investment required

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lustrous gives a lot more thematic meat to chew on, on top of being gorgeous. there's definitely some recency bias but if we're really going to equate the two because of setting/premise, i feel like there are ways Lustrous edges it out. weigh those against the underdog factor of Kemofure, i guess.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

1. ACCA - Out of everything I watched this year, ACCA is the only show I feel perfectly content with. Studio Pablo's stellar background work made this world (or rather its many individual, smaller worlds) distinct and beautiful as the show treated me to a strangely relaxed travelogue for a show ostensibly about a coup. The character design work was also excellent, adapting Ono's original designs handily while giving them a bit more variety and also life through use of color. I loved that food was such a central focus as a representation of both culture and history. Characters whether complicated (Nino, Grossular) or petty/shallow (Schwan, Rail) were all a delight to follow, and I really enjoyed the sort of mythologizing of the second princess' disappearance. To cap it all off, the show had an excellent OST that never felt particularly overbearing or misused, even when using a vocal insert song during Nino and Jean's flashback.

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - Honestly this one just fell from top spot because I really disliked the implications of the tail end, and wonder why they had to be included at all. Otherwise this was an excellent conclusion to the series and honestly the better of the two halves for me.

3. Land of the Lustrous - Lustrous was the only show I followed so closely that I was watching episodes the day they aired with no exceptions. It turned me on to reading the manga early on, and I grew to love the characters and be deeply intrigued by the world they live in and how their actions might change it. The anime was an absolute masterwork of CG anime both for when it indulged in full CG and when it blended CG and 2D. The backgrounds and use of color (a gem's hue falling over "their" scenes) brought new depth to the world, sharply defining the often sparse environments of the manga. Similarly, the well-placed OST and excellent VA performances elevate the action on screen and fill the characters with a life that I don't feel was as present in the manga. My main detraction would be preferring the stronger androgyny of the manga's artstyle, and the few scenes where I feel their surreal nature was enhanced by the almost void-like quality of the manga backgrounds.

4. Made in Abyss - I came to Abyss as someone having already read the manga (in preparation for the anime, really), so the beginning felt a bit slower than I would like and some scenes (Ozen vs Reg) lacked significant impact in comparison. Outside of those complaints, Abyss hit every note with amazing backgrounds, music/VA, and Kou Yoshinari's unsettling monster animation. Some format decisions like stopping for an original episode following Riko and a double-length finale worked even more in the show's favor for me, and get points for modifying the source to better create a narrative.

5. Heybot! - There were plenty of other shows that may be better crafted from even a slightly objective standpoint, but Heybot (like the runners-up below) was a show that really clicked with me. Animegataris is getting attention this season for its consistent metacommentary, but Heybot spent an entire year engaging in similar subjects while also slowly turning what it initially presented as throwaway nonsense into recurring characters and details central to the plot. The show's constant playfulness with anime tropes, its status as a toy tie-in, the various ways it toed the line of appropriateness, and its relationship to its viewers culminated in a climax that was incisive against children's entertainment while going out on a touching note of appreciation for fans and the powers of fandom. Heybot was really more of an experience, and one I was glad to have.

Runners Up

Time Bokan 24 - Like Heybot, this was another show that really resonated with me and for similar reasons. As a revival of the Time Bokan franchise, it takes the classic formula but brings a sensibility that comments on the expectations and history of past entries, and also directly addresses the audience in as much of a real-time basis as a traditional anime production could. Sourcing humor from corruptions of history also allowed for a breadth of gags that were enriched by knowing history trivia, while also having educational accuracy unexpected for a show that was on it's face irreverent. This is even more notable given the currently airing season's shift to a rote trivia show approach that blatantly states facts.

Laughing Salesman NEW - I'm just gonna steal my own tiny spiel for this show, that I posted when it finished earlier this year: "It was a rare show that was so obviously aimed at an older audience and dealt with the social pressures and issues that come with age, employment, and family, while keeping a sense of humor. The visual style stood out when compared to most modern anime, and beyond that uniqueness it was just very solid and had the proper cartoony-ness to complement the show's tone."

Magical Circle Guru Guru - This was an adorable sorta-rom-com with some impressive animation. I enjoyed the light-hearted skewering of JRPG tropes, even if some jokes were a bit played out. Between that, the hyperactivity, and some of the crassness, it really did evoke a feeling of 90's anime that I enjoyed going back to.

Children of the Whales - I was skeptical about this show for far too long, but when it so readily bucked my expectations in the first third it really started to grow on me. Despite being an adaptation of ongoing manga, this show built an intriguingly odd world with a hint of mystery that is satisfyingly "solved" by the end. The sketchbook and watercolor style of the backgrounds is beautiful, as are the designs of the strange psychic mollusc-gods central to the plot. The show lacks a particularly strong central character, but the early focus on the Mud Whale as a society and later characters like Ouni and Lykos' brother step out to carry the story well on their own.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't believe it but i also question the need to give it that place in the story. yakumo was sufficiently complicated and that element didn't need to introduced, especially as some posthumous stinger.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

as i understand it, the movie votes are still being counted so I'm not sure what the problem is

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's goofy time

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

soma was added to the list

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in the past, voting went on until the second week of January and even though we probably don't have many outstanding voters left, i think setting the deadline at January 12th would be fine. so get your votes in before the 13th, CST

I'll pop the deadline in the OP later today and probably crosspost this in season and chat threads so we don't miss anyone.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a red link on the adtrwiki

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no that's hokuto no ken dd

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad karen got a part time job...as a fisherwoman?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

good list this year

thanks to y'all for voting, and especially thanks to anaconda for collecting and arranging all the data!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

david production will rise from the ashes this year when captain tsubasa comes out, i'm sure of it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't parse the first one since i'm in the middle of the good taste clusterfuck, but i guess kater and allarion are my anime buddies and i'm high on the grimdark adult axis

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why the gently caress is reg a "husbando" jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nudity and some of the suggestive jokes seem at least pg-13 to me

• Locked thread