Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Owarimonogatari
It was real good and if you like Monogatari, this is more of Monogatari at its best. If you don't, you won't like it.

Little Witch Academia
It was good, well animated and charming throughout with only a couple of episodes that were kinda eh. Not enough Sucy.

Konosuba
It's funny and Aqua is a loving poo poo. She's also good. but she's also a poo poo. A poo poo good girl. A poo poo. AQUA IS poo poo. And Good.

Kizumonogatari
See Owari but it's not as good as Owari was.

New Game
It was very gay and good.

e: Honourable Mention because the rule that onrunning series can't be nominated for AOTY lists is as stupid this year as it was last.

Dragon Ball Super
it was pretty good this year, Zamasu, Gowasu, Goku Black and some of the Universe Survival Tourney have been good. There's probably been more than 12 good episodes which is as long as most series run.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

So, is My Hero Academia better or worse than HxH? That was the last shounen fightman show I watched.

HxH and MHA often get compared but they're not similar.
MHA is a straight laced by the books shonen and good at that for a solid 90% of its run in the manga to date. The oddest thing is that MHA is already roughly half as long as HxH is. :(

As for which is better, personal taste.

But the answer is HxH by a mile. Cough cough.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Or if you're in the general vicinity of Hisoka at any given time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the man's got needs, sometimes you gotta put yourself first, he's a good boy

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

I started checking votes on 12/29, and I'm not going back to check for edited posts. I will make a compilation post as voting closes indicating which individual votes were not counted. And as always I will post the entire spreadsheet so you can check your individual scores to make sure I interpreted your votes correctly. My raw data is somewhat timestamped, to make sure no one tries to cheat and add more votes, etc.

Also all honorable mentions are being recorded just for curiosity, so they do affect the tally.

AnacondaHL posted:

Also in general, if you used vote(s) on a movie feel free to add an "official" top 5 vote for something else instead if you want. None of the movies got enough votes to give it an exception, so they will be treated the same as unlisted/invalid series.

You add too many rules to this.

Just count the nominations as they are and if it means something from 1995 wins the 2017 anime of the year, so be it, it meant 2017 sucked.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

rules for an anime popularity contest that aren't actively being explained to the people voting and are only going to inform the people who have broken them long after they probably care to fix them with arbitrary disqualifications for movies or whatever

are not the good type of rules.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

actually I don't have to do poo poo, and I'm not informing anyone of anything new, I just happen to see which votes are invalid because I count them up, and am happy to do the extra work to give people a second chance to vote because it's always so close.

Everyone is perfectly capable and allowed to vote for things that aren't on the list, it's just bad data, and I wouldn't be a statistician without knowing how to deal with it.

And just to be clear, it wasn't arbitrary disqualifications, it was me asking all of you to reduce the amount of work I have to do, because now I have to validate every single one of your movie/ova votes (and figure out what you're even voting for in the first place since I don't know all the names and nicknames and japanese titles of all the movies) but now I'm doing that work anyways, so maybe just be happy about it or suggest some improvement.

Here's my improvement: Drop the stupid anal rules, accept votes as they are posted.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As one of them, allow me to say the JoJo fandom is 200% arse in many different ways, including ones that contradict each other.

That said, calling JoJo a battle shonen is pretty wide of the mark in this day and age (I'd say Stone Ocean is the first real foray into it being more of a seinen, which would make it a seinen longer than it was shonen now), as is ignoring that MHA has a pretty large, vocal and rabid fandom of its own, especially considering it's also a young manga for how successful it is.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 5, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have no idea what the hell that chart means but the bottom left quadrant is clearly the best

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Since when was Shokugeki no Soma an ecchi series? From everything I've heard about it, it seems pretty much PG????

Also, New Game!! as a seinen seems kinda odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think early on, with the exaggerated food reactions, it's not unfair to list it there. But the reactions change a lot really quickly, beyond just clothes exploding orgasms. Especially by the third season listing Food Wars as an ecchi series isn't fair at all.

I see, I see. I was thinking about reading it at some point and I still might do considering it's not exclusively bad softcore then.

• Locked thread