Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
1. Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous
This show is loving amazing and there's nothing I can think of that's quite like it. Everything about it hit me, from the drama to the moments of goofy lighthearted comedy it had the perfect mix to bring me in and keep me interested and I really really want a continuation. This show rocks.

2. Little Witch Academia
Just a goddamn pure, lovable and inspiring show, I was really hugely disappointed with Trigger's big show last year and this just ended up completely blowing my expectations away. It's a joy to look at and its writing left an even deeper impression on me than I expected. I was about to give it my number one spot before Houseki aired.

3. Girls' Last Tour
It's like 1:30am and i just remembered that this was like my third favorite show of the year but glt is the best loving anime about a pair of gay blobs pondering the reasons to live in a desolate empty wasteland ever made and the ending is perfect. watch this good poo poo

4. New Game!!
I thought the first season was decently funny and had some cool bits of character writing, so I came into season 2 expecting a bit more of the same and I got one of the most self-aware, genuine workplace comedies I've seen. Shifting the focus away from careless goofy antics, this season placed a bigger focus on the struggles of working in the industry and the arising drama and the rifts it creates between the people working there, and the growing sense of self-doubt within rising young artists, and just ending on regular-rear end relationship drama treated with enough weight to leave impact, but not so much that it just feels melodramatic, it just feels very simple and relatable and sweet. I can't think of many shows that have rocketed past my initial expectations like this one.

5. Symphogear AXZ
It's a bit shaky at times, but this season hammers in pretty much all the same stuff I liked about earlier seasons on top of having one of the more memorable and interesting bad guy gangs in the series, who are given way more time to just kind of interact with each other and give a sense of who they are as characters than the villains in the previous season. I had a lot of fun with this.

i might post my honorable mentions tomorrow i shouldn't even be up this late jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cast of hunter x hunter won't murder you unless they're really angry and confused and think you might try to murder them and it would be strategically smarter to kill you first

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis posted:

Girl's Last Tour I've only watched up to ep 6 of but it's really good and I don't foresee anything happening that would change my mind about it. Real chill and mysterious, possibly about kabbalah?

girl's last tour owns from beginning to end and has one of the best endings ever made

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Studio NUT

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lwa is one of the best shows of 2017 and almost got my top spot before houseki aired

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

To be fair, Netflix decision to not simulcast it probably contributed to said lukewarm response.

90% of the disappointment around early lwa on sa was people watching early episodes week by week and deeming it mediocre

which, i guess i can understand not loving some of the first four episodes, but then literally everything after that is loving incredible so

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
akko loving rules and is one of the funniest anime protags ever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kill la kill is better than kiznaiver

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only way kiznaiver being longer would have been better is if they'd actually given more than one character an arc and also didn't make that character straight at the end

kill la kill isn't a good show but it felt like it had more writing than kiznaiver and also it didn't center an episode around a character's sexuality and their trauma in ways that retroactively made really freaky implications for scenes in earlier episodes and then literally just abandon it right after and never bring it up again

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 15, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shame about the part where the masochist was like the least consistent character in the show to a baffling degree

like honestly there is no way more episodes would have helped kiznaiver because in their 12 episodes not only did only one character really get an arc, but basically nobody else even got started on having an arc and then he just kind of shifts roles four times and never actually gets to be anything

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 16, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Expect My Mom posted:

for a second, he becomes a villain, trying to dig up people's traumas, which is cool cause them having issues in the group is the whole point but he just stops at one point idk

he was cute tho, i liked his face piercings

i mean, that's exactly why i hate the way he's handled. having him dig up problems could be cool, but they did it at the end, for like one scene, and it didn't lead to anything meaningful. if that's the direction they wanted to go with him, they should've done it at the start, because that would've actually given him a group dynamic that he was missing for like 95% of the show. and maybe they wanted to??? since the first thing he does is push agata off a goddamn rail??? but then they just... stop???

basically outside of the weird direction they take with honoka all of my issues with kiznaiver are that it's not even restricted by schedule or budget, it just doesn't even make the attempt to stick to something interesting and it just, it almost does it, it gets so close, and then it decides to focus on really empty conspiracy crap for half its run time instead and all of it feels so cheap

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eela6 posted:

What the???

the first half of kill la kill is fun but the ragyo scenes are really weird, imo, and the drama in the second half isn't good

but it at least feels like it uses its characters at any point

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the hosed up thing is that luluco aired the same season as kiznaiver and it was entirely about a goofy middle school girl's crush on a galactic pretty boy and it was so good that it made me willing to give lwa a chance and giving lwa a chance ended up being a good idea

so thank you luluco

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kill la kill is now good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

And they failed.

cant believe wark likes molestation mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis posted:

Pad and Rutile as best couple or I'm not looking at the loving shitass pole

there's no best couple

if there was then i would have to kill them if they didn't include kobayashi and tohru

• Locked thread