Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
My favourite animes of the year were

ACCA - This was such a delightful story, all the locales were lovely and the bureaucratic espionage was really compelling. I'm glad of Mauve, the dreamiest character in a cast full of really charming individual
Eccentric Family 2 - Wonderful continuation to one of my favourite animes, features the absolute cutest tanukis. Really looking forward to the next part one day
Girls Last Tour - This was pretty much a flawless adaptation of a manga I really enjoy. Some real high-grade subdued but lovely stories about continuing on in the face of bleak hopelessness. Good robots and slugcats too
Land of the Lustrous - Just absurdly pretty and a really fascinating world. Go watch Gems now, it's amazing and I really hope it gets another season soon. Cinnabar is probably my favourite gem but they were all so charming in their own ways it's close
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - I watched both seasons of Rakugo this year so it all kinda blended together but drat if it isn't one of the best stories. Really powerful personal drama and some stunning performances, Kikohiko's rakugo is something I would absolutely watch a lot more of. They're all really cute too, would hug

also Isekai Shokudou, Tsuki Ga Kirei, Sengokuchojyugiga, Natsume and Made in Abyss were all great too, among many others, and people should go watch them. There was a lot of really good anime this year, wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh, I know movies are kind of a weird thing in these lists but if we had an anime movie of the year, I'd vote for Night is short, Walk on girl - it's an incredible frenetic adventure of a film and an absolute blast to watch. Definitely try to see it however you can

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Oh wow you weren't kidding

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Glad of it

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Silver2195 posted:

2. Centaur's Worries

I've said before that I'm not quite sure what to make of this show, which might be part of why I like it. It doesn't try to stick to a consistent tone - and why should it? It's depicting an entire world to some extent, and the real world doesn't have a consistent tone either. I'm not entirely sure what the creators' attitude is toward the society depicted, but I think the point is not so much to praise or condemn it as to explore how such a diverse society would almost have to work.

:agreed: I liked that about the show too, it was oddly naturalistic

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't know if it counts since it technically came out in 2016 but In This Corner of the World is one of the two best movies I saw in 2017 and would get a vote from me if we did movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hooray! That's a good list of anime. Thanks for doing the counting AnacondaHL, and for putting together the thread dogsicle.

Ah. Eccentric family...

• Locked thread